SASS Wire Forum

How’s the NICS processing times in your State

John Boy

On 10/23/2020 at 8:40 AM, Michigan Slim said:

I bought two Ruger Wranglers yesterday. About ten minutes.

Busy day in Indiana.

On 10/23/2020 at 3:07 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The NICS check took less time than filling out the 4473 did.

On 10/23/2020 at 5:07 PM, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Here [Texas], if you have a License-To-Carry, formally known as a Concealed-Carry-Permit, all you do is fill out the standard form, and fork over the money.

On 10/24/2020 at 4:06 PM, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

It's been a while since I bought anything but that's the way it's been for years in Tennessee.

I'm in Tennessee. The check is just a few minutes, the paperwork does take longer than the actual check. And it works on Federal and state holidays.

Federal law does have the option for states to use a CCP instead of doing the actual check, but also has the option for states to do their own additional checks. Tennessee is a state that does its own additional checks (TBI database). There are a couple items in Tennessee which can bar firearms which are not in the Federal law (and not in NICS), this is a zero-tolerance state on drugs and alcohol.

An interesting quirk in this state... If you purchase more than one firearm in a transaction, the local sheriff must be informed. Well, I bought my revolvers for this sport (my first purchase of multiple firearms in a transaction) and my FFL had never processed two firearms on the same NICS check before. So he dutifully calls the Sheriff's office to inform them of the transaction...

The response from the Sherriff's office was something like "So tell me again why are you calling us?" My FFL explains the requirement again.  "Are there any concerns or problems with the buyer or the firearms?" None, just following regulations. "Um, OK... Well... Consider us informed." I wonder if my FFL might be the first in this county to ever make that phone call.

Did one last night here in florida panhandle.  Guy punched it in on his computer.  Came back in about 5 minutes.

2 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Federal law does have the option for states to use a CCP instead of doing the actual check, but also has the option for states to do their own additional checks.

CA does this to generate revenue.
If you have a RealID, AND a firearm registered to your DMV address in the last 5 years, you pay a $1 background check fee.
If not, you pay a $19 background check fee.

To California.

If you look at the DROS form you fill out to buy any ammo, there is a transaction number printed.
This is the number of $1 (or $19) fees CA has collected TODAY.
This is thousands and thousands of dollars in tax, collected every day.

Archived