SASS Wire Forum

How’s the NICS processing times in your State

John Boy

In New Jersey, the FFL’s submit the NIC’s to our New Jersey State Police and they submit them to the NICS database.  Our approvals are 4 weeks behind.  How is the processing times in your State ...

22 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

What is NICS?

background check for firearms purchase. 

Phone in is a couple minutes, computer based has been about 2 hours for proceed in the last couple months.

I keep getting a lot of "Researching" when I do the nics.  But withing a couple of hours I get either a "Proceed" or "Delayed".  I usually do them on the computer.

I bought a new 1911 about a month ago, It took about 5 minutes for the salesman to call for an OK. Here in Tennessee most folks are gun friendly.

Lucky

Your delay probably has nothing to do with NICS and everything to do with the state police. As others have said, the actual NICS works pretty well and fast.  

Some states have interjected themselves into the process, primarily so they can charge a fee.  This tends to slow down the process (often intentionally as they seem to believe that the only reason anyone would buy a gun is because they are mad and need to kill some unsuspecting innocent person right now).  

West Virginia, you call the FBI direct and it takes 5-10 minutes, most times less.  Of course, that includes their coffee break time.  The telephone call only has to go about twelve miles up the road as the FBI Center is located in West Virginia.

In WV if you have a CCW the selling FFL can elect not to do the call to the NICS.

No phone call required. Fill out normal paperwork and you're out the door.

In Alaska if you have a CCW you can get an endorsment (sp) to it that makes you NICS exempt..

No phone call required. Fill out normal paperwork and you're out the door.

Marshal Stone

I’m in North Central Florida and never wait more than 20-30 minutes.

CWP allows for no wait period after call-in.

Here in Ohio if you have a concealed carry permit there’s no check! I haven’t had a background check for two years!!

If you do not have a CCL the whole process takes 5-10 minutes. Most  gun stores do it online .

Well in good old Commiefornia over here we get to wait 10 days regardless...

Thankfully it's dropped back down to the 10 day mark on the minute. But back during the first big run on guns a few months ago it was around 18-22 days before the gun could be released. (glad I work at the FFL I do my paperwork at so there is no fear of missing my pick up) 

19 hours ago, John Boy said:

In New Jersey, the FFL’s submit the NIC’s to our New Jersey State Police and they submit them to the NICS database.  Our approvals are 4 weeks behind.  How is the processing times in your State ...

Cant even begin to imagine how much fun that isn't! Curious when you weren't behind what was your average time? Less then 10 days...?

I ordered a new rifle from my lgs.  He knows that I’m working nights right now.  When it came in, I walked in filled out the 4473 and check then walked out the door and went to work.  NE background check is n/a if you have a ccw.  I feel for people that are held down by restrictive gun laws.

It's been said already, but in California there is a 10 day wait with or without a CCW. I've never been held up past the 10 day................ However, I load all my own ammo. I had occasion to purchase some shotgun shells a while back. I was a CCW, a NRA certified Instructor and a certified California DOJ instructor... I WAS TURNED DOWN to purchase ammo. It took me well over a month and the assistance of two Congressmen to get approved to buy ammo. 

Snakebite

Here, if you have a License-To-Carry, formally known as a Concealed-Carry-Permit, all you do is fill out the standard form, and fork over the money. You're done.

For those that do not have a license, the last time I was with a person that purchased a revolver, which was about 3 weeks ago, it took five minutes.

Obviously, the wait time seems to vary, from location, to location.  

Also, we are not restricted on how many we can purchase either. Some folks, it seems, are limited to so many (one?) per month.

Again, depends on where you reside, it seems.

Four weeks for you? That is a dirty-dog shame.

My most recent experience was October 6.
If there was any delay in the NICS approval, that would have extended my 10.0 day waiting period.
This was not extended, so I assume the check came back in short order.

My LGS has very little stock of guns, a number of (pricey) 1 lb jugs of powder and zero primers.
His entire showroom floor is chock full of guns awaiting DROS and Background check processing.

I just got home from my lgs,

They had a CZ Shadow 2 in the case, I just had to fill out the paperwork'

By the time I paid of it the NICS check was done and I walked out with my gun

On 10/23/2020 at 2:07 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The NICS check took less time than filling out the 4473 did.

OLG 

It's been a while since I bought anything but that's the way it's been for years in Tennessee.

Randy

I cannot wait to get to Arkansas and out of Illinois!

permit holders in Montana don't have to have a NICS check either.

I used to work the gun counter at Bass Pro Shop. Their computer is logged on with the FBI all the time. Usually by the time the customer got through entering all their personal info, we double checked it and entered the firearm info the check was probably done because we would usually get an answer in less than a minute. The only time it took longer was if there was a problem with the customer.

Archived