SASS Wire Forum

Yul Lose

The Cajon Cowboys had to rebuild their range earlier this year because the new owner of the ranch where the range is, totally rebuilt the entire facility. Most of the facades were salvaged but placing them and securing them in  their new locations took hundreds of hours of labor and lots of hardware and paint. I held a gun cart raffle to aid in the rebuilding costs and to drum up badly needed labor I came up with another scheme to give another gun cart away to the working force. Well BearTrap, the Cajon Cowboys match director got wind of it and shut it down, he said one was enough. Choctaw Gal his long suffering wife :Dand I were visiting one day while we were doing some painting and we came up with another idea. She filled out slips of paper for all of the workers who had put in lots of hours and those that had really put in the hours had more slips put in the hat with their names on them so some folks had a slip or two in the hat and some had a lot of slips in the hat. We were going to draw the winning ticket at the State Match on the first week of September but we decided that since all of the tickets had been sold that we’d draw the winning ticket at a monthly match in May, I believe it was, anyway a winning ticket was drawn from  the raffle tickets and Choctaw Gal then brought up the hat and we drew a winning ticket for the labor pool. Running Bare was the lucky winner and here is the cart that I built for her.

The lumber is ambrosia maple or beetle killed maple. The leatherwork was all done by Double Diamond from Escondido. Through and sliding dovetails were used as well as mortise and tenon joinery where required. She wanted the trays to be deeper to hold the ammo and shot shells in a similar configuration as their current gun cart and I think I came pretty close. I’m meeting them up at Norco in the morning for the hand off and they’ll get to use it this weekend. I did a few extras for this cart such as the ebony pegs on the doors and the IPhone carrier on the side of the cart.

212DB286-ADBB-41E6-AC20-BE066EB75B61.jpeg

45D56198-441D-4626-9CF1-A85B3FFC8A7E.jpeg

71833FFD-A5D7-4F1B-94CB-490F65D7E16B.jpeg

10AAC73B-E141-4F47-9623-C4B0C7319F22.jpeg

ACD78A79-F64C-4260-B518-C62F5BED3AAE.jpeg

Yul,

Once again you show the incredible skill that you possess with wood.  One of these days, you should post a few pictures of your workshop so the rest of us can be even more envious!

Dogmeat Dad

Yep, a grand gun cart for a VERY SPECIAL LADY... who happens to be a shooter!  And I believe that Dastardly husband of hers will take every advantage!  Congrats, Linda!

Archived