SASS Wire Forum

Formation

Subdeacon Joe

Very cool early war detail showing the 17th New York Regiment in camp outside Washington that allows us to grasp and see all sorts of stuff! Here are roughly 400 soldiers. What can you tell about their formations, officers, stances and more? Can you picture a group of this many soldiers engaged in battle? How about with three more of them in a brigade? What about 50 regiments in one of the war's larger assaults? Crazy. https://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/cwpb.03587/?co=civwar and for my take on the Greatest Charges of the Civil War: https://www.battlefields.org/.../greatest-charges-civil-war

122397771_3343411179046237_6432221441258762706_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=v_-wyfkUmawAX8MiQrQ&_nc_oc=AQmvLDhBBeyp23M0Fhd_6GKKqkKobSh6OVty5jdz7N5A2i5ZlmYoqA14Cju2czgK0kxns-bJ8NDquuGjT6i6OE54&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=9115903f0cebf6afd007a702de99de08&oe=5FB7D0D7

One of my most prized possessions. Regimental history of the 48th New York State Volunteers.

3FC254BF-72F3-4FA4-B145-B8E128548215.jpeg

8CBC36CA-F122-40E4-A982-8C1681C5DDF6.jpeg

When I was Park Ranger in Florida I wanted to participate with a few buddies in the annual Reenactment of the Battle of Olustee in the northern part of the states. I looked at the units involved. My friend George from Massachusetts saw a regiment from there and we decided on that one. I went to the library to research the 54th Massachusetts Infantry.

Yeah. So I went back and told the boys the bad news and we. Decided on the 48th NY. I used a bookfinder and got hold of the regimental history. Worked on these manuals for many hours.

ACBCD048-6C08-423D-810C-977BFE50892D.jpeg

Doin' the 54th would likely get you in trubba these days....  :rolleyes:

Good movie, though!  

The 48th also fought at Ft Wagner with the 54th.

One of the few good memories I have of taking part in the 145 anniversary reenactment at Gettysburg was waiting in the artillery park for the time to tow the gun out,and watching the infantry march past.  And march past.  And march past.  And, for variety, march past. Maybe about 2500 of 'em.  

Most of my time there was spent waiting in the artillery park (and whoever the idjit was that decided to put it on a 2% or better slope should have been horsewhipped because there was field used as the staging area about a furlong away that was nice and flat) to tow the gun out, cleaning the gun, or hoofing it back to get the truck to tow the gun off the field and back to the artillery park.  

I did have the dubious pleasure of seeing real "loose cannon" three times when people who were trying to place their guns back on that sloped, covered with damp grass, artillery park and slipped.  Seeing a ton or more of steel and wood careening downhill as people sprung out of the way (just like in the cartoons, by the way) was....interesting....yeah, interesting.  One zipped down the slope, across the access road two cars in front of me, down into the ditch on the other side of the road, across the little creek, and into the side of a van on the road into the parking area.  Nice dent.

Archived