SASS Wire Forum

Horse question

Alpo

One hears about stallions fighting each other all the time . that, if I understand it, is the reason that cowboys would ride geldings.

But race horses are stallions. Once the horses retired from winning the Triple Crown, they put him to stud and make more money that way than they ever did racing. Hard to do that if he's a gelding .

So my question. Do stallions only fight if there's a mare in heat around?

No boys will be boys........but mares irritate the situation.  Its kinda like being in the bar at 1 AM with a bunch of young men trying to impress the pretty lady. 

48 minutes ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

No boys will be boys........but mares irritate the situation.  Its kinda like being in the bar at 1 AM with a bunch of young men trying to impress the pretty lady. 

This has been my experience, being married to a horse whisperer.

Stallions test their mettle with one another, to ultimately challenge the older, and leading stallion in the group, for access to the mares. The younger one's practice on one another...mostly playfully at first, later more seriously.

A lot of the old time (19th century) cowboys rode geldings, as well, since they were less prone to be aggressive, and would more likely concentrate, with the cowboy's insistence, on working the cows, and not sniffing around the mares as much. The geldings may have had the inclination, but they did not have the where-with-all.  

Do soldiers and Marines get in bar fights even if there are no women there? :lol:

2 hours ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

Rarely do they look the same at 7AM in the same morning.:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Rarely do they look the same at 7AM in the same morning.:ph34r:

I don't know about over there but here in Aust many Race Horses are geldings.

Yes it sucks when you get a great champion and you cant breed from him but many believe not being a Stallion can make them a better racer and the prize money here is the main goal.

My father was a breeder and trainer and most of his racers were geldings.

4 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

I don't know about over there but here in Aust many Race Horses are geldings.

Yes it sucks when you get a great champion and you cant breed from him but many believe not being a Stallion can make them a better racer and the prize money here is the main goal.

My father was a breeder and trainer and most of his racers were geldings.

Famous horse in American racing, John Henry a gelding, raced until he was eight, was gelded to make him manageable.

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Famous horse in American racing, John Henry a gelding, raced until he was eight, was gelded to make him manageable.

And the trainers and jockeys at Keeneland told me that he was still a mean son of a gun after he was gelded.

Duffield

Stallions are a pain in the ass. Fight geldings, chase mares, fight fences if there is a mare in heat somewhere. Unless gelded young they still act like stallions. My dad shot one of our stallions when he turned out his favorite gelding and forgot the stallion was in that pasture. The fight did not last long as dad had his '94 on the saddle and with one shot the fight ended.

Archived