SASS Wire Forum

Lil confused on some things

Bhill

As I read the rules, search old threads and watch videos etc. In videos I see two handed shooting and being referred to as traditional. As I read the rules I see duelist/ double duelist and gunfighter. The only place I see about two handed is in black powder. Am I missing something? 

Revolvers may be shot in any SASS legal shooting style – EXCEPT Gunfighter

SHB p.4 "Open" & "Age Based" Categories

Revolvers may be shot in any SASS legal shooting style, at the shooters discretion

SHB p.8 "B-Western..." 

Two handed shooting style – aka “Traditional,” or shooter holds a single revolver with two hands.

SHB p.46

52 minutes ago, Bhill said:

As I read the rules, search old threads and watch videos etc. In videos I see two handed shooting and being referred to as traditional. As I read the rules I see duelist/ double duelist and gunfighter. The only place I see about two handed is in black powder. Am I missing something? 

Yea, you missing some numbers on your SASS #, cause you ain't number 1.:D:D

4 hours ago, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

Yea, you missing some numbers on your SASS #, cause you ain't number 1.:D:D

Yea I couldn’t get past the profile setup without putting a number in. I hit one and next. I should of put zero as that fits me better

Well you can go edit it now and put in whatever you want; which in my opinion it should be "Guest" until you join S.A.S.S.

Oh forgot, Welcome to the Wire. If you haven't been to any matches; get yourself to a couple and don't buy anything until you have.

6 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Well you can go edit it now and put in whatever you want; which in my opinion it should be "Guest" until you join S.A.S.S.

Oh forgot, Welcome to the Wire. If you haven't been to any matches; get yourself to a couple and don't buy anything until you have.

Thank you as it won’t accept zero, never thought using guest. 

5 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

SHB p.4 "Open" & "Age Based" Categories

SHB p.8 "B-Western..." 

SHB p.46

That would be what I’m missing, the very last line in the glossary 

16 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Keep coming to Wartrace and soon you will want to change your status to family, see you there Nov 7?

Imis

I will definitely be coming up as I’m just down in Fedvulle area. I’m going to Cavern cove this weekend. I thought that would be a good event to look around, hoping there’s several vendors and meet some ppl. 

35 minutes ago, Bhill said:

I will definitely be coming up as I’m just down in Fedvulle area. I’m going to Cavern cove this weekend. I thought that would be a good event to look around, hoping there’s several vendors and meet some ppl. 

Come Thursday if you can, all the vendors will be set up and should be less hectic.  Main Match is Friday and Saturday(some of the vendors shoot).

8 hours ago, Bhill said:

As I read the rules, search old threads and watch videos etc. In videos I see two handed shooting and being referred to as traditional.

When we went to watch our first match,  I was taken aback by people shooting a single action using two hands. I'd never seen such a thing unless someone was shooting a heavy hunting handgun from a rest. 

Then I had a hard time associating shooting with two hands associated with the word "traditional".  I'm sure someone will come up with some obscure reference to someone shooting a single action with two hands in the old west but it would be extremely rare.  "Traditional" is something invented by SASS. 

9 hours ago, Bhill said:

Come  to the Nov. 7th match  at Wartrace and ask lots of questions, get there early and I'm sure some of the folks will be happy for you to handle their guns. Hopefully I'll be released to drive before the Nov. 21 match and I'd be happy to let you shoot my guns prior to the match.

Welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!

Randy

45 minutes ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Just shoot gunfighter and you don't have to worry about it!  It's more fun anyway!:D

When I have 2 out I won’t even have to aim!!

51 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Come  to the Nov. 7th match  at Wartrace and ask lots of questions, get there early and I'm sure some of the folks will be happy for you to handle their guns. Hopefully I'll be released to drive before the Nov. 21 match and I'd be happy to let you shoot my guns prior to the match.

Welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!

Randy

I saw pics of all that whiskey, it’s possible I might not have cloths on!!

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

When we went to watch our first match,  I was taken aback by people shooting a single action using two hands. I'd never seen such a thing unless someone was shooting a heavy hunting handgun from a rest. 

Then I had a hard time associating shooting with two hands associated with the word "traditional".  I'm sure someone will come up with some obscure reference to someone shooting a single action with two hands in the old west but it would be extremely rare.  "Traditional" is something invented by SASS. 

I’ve watched several videos on ppl handling them, lots of practice!!!!

Bhill, first and foremost, welcome and thank you for expressing an interest in S.A.S.S.!

Our family (Alchemist Belle-me, Branchwater Jack- my husband, & Donald Duke- our son) are proud to claim the Wartrace Regulators in TN as our home club. We are also involved with the North Alabama Regulators in AL. Please feel free to look us up at the Southeast Regional this week and monthly matches at both clubs. We'll be happy to answer any questions you may have with friendly enthusiasm and if we don't know an answer, we'll do our best to help you find it.

1 hour ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Just shoot gunfighter and you don't have to worry about it!  It's more fun anyway!:D

or Outlaw

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Initially, "Traditional" & "Modern" referred to the revolver sights (fixed vs. adjustable).
"Duelist" category was added in 1993.
This is an addendum to the SHB sent out as an insert in the "Cowboy Chronicle":

image.png

Type of sights and style of holding/shooting the revolver have long been conflated in Cowboy action.   So, we have ended up with titles of shooting styles and categories that don't quite make sense to a true Historian of the Old West.   

Wild Bunch, on the other hand. got the shooting style, competition category,  and sights/pistol features neatly separated and logical.  IMHO.  ;)

Good luck, GJ

6 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

When we went to watch our first match,  I was taken aback by people shooting a single action using two hands. I'd never seen such a thing..........................

This is one of the reasons Duelist is coolest. :D

5 hours ago, Alchemist Belle 93666 said:

Bhill, first and foremost, welcome and thank you for expressing an interest in S.A.S.S.!

Our family (Alchemist Belle-me, Branchwater Jack- my husband, & Donald Duke- our son) are proud to claim the Wartrace Regulators in TN as our home club. We are also involved with the North Alabama Regulators in AL. Please feel free to look us up at the Southeast Regional this week and monthly matches at both clubs. We'll be happy to answer any questions you may have with friendly enthusiasm and if we don't know an answer, we'll do our best to help you find it.

Yes ma’am I will ask lots of questions.   I have messaged your husband and grateful for the time he took even while he’s been busy setting things up. 

Archived