SASS Wire Forum

WInchester '97 CAS 12 ga.

'97 Winchester set up for CAS.  Barrel is 22 1/4" with Colonial Mod choke.  And no, I didn't cut a pristine '97 to make a CAS gun, it was cut when I got it.  I did get a good smith to install a Colonial choke tube and a .8" Decelerator Sporting Clays brown pad.  The wood shows minor use marks, appears to have been finished, looks good, no cracks.

IIRC, it's a 1936 vintage, is the take down model.  Bore is slick with no pits.  It shows some streaks from having been fired, would probably polish mirror smooth, I just never did.

Action is tight, trigger is crisp, no sign of wear.  Gun doesn't appear to have been used a lot, for sure it wasn't abused.  Bluing is probably 95% or so, no rusting, browning, flaking, etc.  Metal finish appears original, no evidence of polish or reblue.

It's solid, slick and fast, ready for CAS.  I'll ship to your FFL for $725.  Not looking for trades, but most gun nuts will consider an interesting offer.  

If I was still in CAS, it wouldn't be listed.   Local club folded, I'm two hours away from a viable club and just don't have the time.  It was fun while it lasted.

DF

IMG_0141 (2).JPG

IMG_0142 (2).JPG

IMG_0143 (2).JPG

IMG_0140 (2).JPG

IMG_0149 (2).JPG

IMG_0145 (2).JPG

IMG_0144 (2).JPG

IMG_0146 (2).JPG

IMG_0137 (2).JPG

IMG_0138 (2).JPG

I think the wood has had some finish added, the metal looks original, no evidence of polish or re-blue.

It obviously sat around more than being hunted or used.

It's as tight and solid as it looks.

DF

Was asked about a modification for 6 in the mag.  I'm not familiar with that, so probably not.  At least not by me, not sure about previous owner.

I'll check tonight to see how many it'll hold, I'm guessing 5.

Any info on the 6 mod, what it is and why it's done?

DF

19 minutes ago, Dirt Farmer, SASS #59817 said:

Was asked about a modification for 6 in the mag.  I'm not familiar with that, so probably not.  At least not by me, not sure about previous owner.

DF

Because in Wild Bunch most scenarios call for a 6 round string, and you are allowed to load the shotgun at the loading table. I beleive the mod consists of an altered follower and spring, simple parts to replace. My late model (1957) 97 would hold 6 with no alteration.

21 minutes ago, Dirt Farmer, SASS #59817 said:

DF

It's a mod for shooting Wild Bunch. That way it'll hold 6 in the mag. Just a cut off mag spring and shorter follower. I guess "someone" thought that it would be more like the movie.

I had two Coyote Cap Chinese '97's back in the day.  They were slick, but eventually went down the road.  I kept this one, as it's original and the real deal. 

It's about as slick as those were and hasn't been "slicked up" per se.   80 years will tend to slick one up, naturally  

Being original increases the "cool factor", at least in my mind.  This one is in really great shape, considering it's age.  Lots of vintage '97's are sloppy and loose.  Not this one.

DF

59 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Pretty gun...isn't it unusual to have screw in chokes in a 97?

LL

Real unusual unless you install them.  

There were no screw in chokes back in 1940.  I wasn't actually around then, just my understanding....

I didn't want cylinder, so this was the best option.

DF

Whew!! I am glad someone grabbed this!  I was so tempted and if I hadn't just ordered a new sxs from longhunter I would have jumped on this one and was thinking about it anyway.  Thanks for removing the temptation!

Outlaw Gambler gets a good one.  Checked his web site; he knows a thing or two about '97's.  Check it out.  

Regarding questions on mag capacity, I forgot I had installed a plug for hunting, was gonna squirrel hunt with it, just never did.  So, it holds 2 rounds.

Outlaw Gambler will have to remove the plug, do what he needs to do with the follower and spring to make it a six round mag, if it won't hold six already.   It is in great shape for 80 yrs. ; hope it brings someone lots of pleasure.

Thanks to everyone for your interest and comments.

DF

Dirt Farmer, to answer your question. I am assigned a "vendor or merchant" status and rightfully so. Along with the vendor status comes a stigma and loss of normal membership benefits associated with selling on the SASS Classifieds. In the simplest terms, Vendors are not allowed to offer for sale items on the classifieds.

"The SASS Wire is for NON-COMMERCIAL POSTINGS ONLY. Commercial Posts, Pile On Infomercials or links from merchants or dealers will be deleted and repeat offenders will be suspended from using the SASS Wire." 

However, at an additional cost over the normal annual membership, vendors can use the "Merchant Corner", so aptly named, to advertise items for sale. 

46 minutes ago, Dirt Farmer, SASS #59817 said:

Hope I didn't mess up, posting your business link.

DF

You can edit you post and remove it, but since you did it and not Outlaw Gambler, I don't see an issue. A mod can just remove that comment if not allowed.

28 minutes ago, Cholla said:

You can edit you post and remove it, but since you did it and not Outlaw Gambler, I don't see an issue. A mod can just remove that comment if not allowed.

If asked, I will edit and delete.  

Fresh from the debate, I guess I could deny any misdeed and move on.  

Seemed to work last night.  

DF

Archived