SASS Wire Forum

Loading stick for 1873

Take Aim, Sass Life #39434

I saw a pard load a Winchester 1873 with 38 specials using a piece of PVC with a push rod inside the PVC.  It made loading quick and easy.  Any idea where I can buy one or something similar?

Take Aim

Try a search here. A while ago there was one with some info on building your own. Good Luck

I made some years ago using PVC pipe with one end cut at an angle, dow rod cut the length of the PVC with a wood drawer knob attached to the end, a PVC end cap drilled out for the dow rod and cemented to the PVC, and a rubber walking cane replacement boot to put on the end to keep the cartridges from falling out while transporting. Cost me about $5 at the time to make one. You don't see them much anymore simply because it takes as much time to fill them up one cartridge at a time to use that you might as well just load the rifle one at a time at the LT.

For 38/357 cartridges 1/2" CPVC is the perfect diameter. Use a 5/16 oak dowel with a 9mm case epoxied to the end of it. 

To strengthen the beveled end glue on a coupler before cutting.

Somebody needs to make a video of two people at the loading table, one with an empty speed loader and one loading directly into the gate and see who can do it fastest. 

Not everything is about speed.

I made the one my wife uses not because it was faster but because pushing individual rounds into the rifle was hard on her arthritic hands. I made it so that it would only hold 5 rounds as it was easier for her to use.

17 hours ago, Geronimo Jim SASS # 21775 said:

I like to load each round at a time because I visualize where each round is going when I

shoot the stage.

Would that be the mound at the back of the range:P

Its OK mine will keep them company:blush:

Okay, so if you are running pistols with a .45ACP cylinder could you use 1911 magazines to feed them at the LT?

13 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Okay, so if you are running pistols with a .45ACP cylinder could you use 1911 magazines to feed them at the LT?

These are less expensive

BULLET STRIP .30-06 .45ACP .308 LOAD YOUR 6 ROUNDS QUICK WITH SPEED 4 PACK

Archived