Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Recommended Posts

I have 4 Mirokus.  2 are Winchester 73's, one each in .357 and .45 Colt.  2 are Brownings, a 1886 .45-70 and a BL-22 (not used as msin match rifles).  All are superb rifles and I actually feel proud to own and use them.

I have one Cimarron (Uberti) 1866.  Again, a very nice rifle.

Mechanically, no complaints with any of them.  I don't modify my firearms' mechanisms.

The Brownings and the Uberti seem to share the same plastic looking high gloss stock finish.  Every little bump, like happens frequently at loading tables, seems to add a dent or some other unsightly scar.  The oil looking finish on the Winchester furniture is miles ahead for SASS or other "rugged" type of use. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have both  Uberti  comp  in 357 with factory short stroke {one the bottom }

and miroku one 20" barrel and 24" 

I dont know which one I like more the Uberti "runs" faster but the miroku shot clean 

they both have about the same lever throw 

my question for cowboy world  short stroke  or smooth and easy ... Yea I know both 

IMG_0554.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rye, you can shoot my Miroku any time you want. 
It’s box stock,  and Billy Badazz told me it didn’t need any work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be interesting to hear Nate Kiowa Jones chime in on this.
I found a post by him on a different board where he favored the Rossi over the Winchester, and gave some very sound reasons.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

CDNN has Maple stocked .45 Colt MirWins in stock.  Back in the 19th century that was an expensive special order item.  

The Winchesters I have were born in 1880 and 1895

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I’d say that a new “Winchester” isn’t REALLY a Winchester except by name anymore, it’s a Miroku Winchester model 1873. Made in Japan, by Miroku. Call it what you like, but that’s that.

 A Uberti is a Uberti Winchester model 1873. Made in Italy by Uberti.

 While most folks agree the  Miroku is a finer, stock rifle from the box, the Uberti is the rifle that wins titles.(That title winners shoot)

 Parts to make a Miroku into a race gun are few and far between. In contrast, the Uberti is the small block Chevy of lever guns.

Basically it’s what you want out of a cowboy rifle. Do you want a fine, stock gun that has Winchester stamped on the barrel along with the words; Made In Japan, or do you want a cowboy rifle that can be made to run like a scalded dog with turpentine wiped on his butt? Either one is perfectly acceptable, but serve the cowboy in far different respects.

 A Miroku Winchester is a nice, smooth gun that some like very much. For me, it’s not really a Winchester anymore except by name, therefore I choose a vintage. or what I consider an authentic Winchester for other than CAS. 
 I DO LOVE a nice Winchester!

 

 

Edited by Chert Rock Chuck
Spellcheck keeps hackin’ on me.
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chert Rock Chuck said:

Well, I’d say that a new “Winchester” isn’t REALLY a Winchester except by name anymore, it’s a Moroku model 1873. Made in Japan, by Miroku. Call it what you like, but that’s that.

Miroku (autocorrect does not know how to fix that typo).

 

And you are right, it is a Winchester in name only, in reality it is a Miroku. Remember Nikon? Awesome lenses, better than anything available in the US. Miroku has quality down pat!

 

Lighten that damn lever safety spring and this rifle is faster than most shooters. In a few years, I might be able to suggest a stage (or rifle string) time where a well-slicked Uberti is at the break even point.

 

Until then, I am glad to have furniture I can repair with oil rather than sanding it down to get rid of dings and scratches.

 

While I agree a vintage Winchester is a true Winchester, I find it interesting you would also consider an Italian Uberti any more authentic than a Japanese Miroku.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Chert Rock Chuck said:

No more authentic, just more versatile for this particular purpose.

Agree it can be for SASS, particularly if you want to short stroke it.

 

But if you want to compete in NCOWS too, then Uberti is the clear choice since the stock stroke is legal; the Miroku is already has a shorter than "stock" stroke and not NCOWS legal.

 

There is a tradeoff here with the Uberti... Legal for NCOWS (versatility across sports) until you short stroke it (versatility for SASS). The Miroku comes "half-stroked" (about 15 degrees IIRC) from the factory.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John Kloehr said:

Agree it can be for SASS, particularly if you want to short stroke it.

 

But if you want to compete in NCOWS too, then Uberti is the clear choice since the stock stroke is legal; the Miroku is already has a shorter than "stock" stroke and not NCOWS legal.

 

There is a tradeoff here with the Uberti... Legal for NCOWS (versatility across sports) until you short stroke it (versatility for SASS). The Miroku comes "half-stroked" (about 15 degrees IIRC) from the factory.

 

I could care less about NCOWS!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I could care less about NCOWS!

Probably more like "couldn't."

 

I'm not really into the re-enactor aspects of NCOWS but I enjoy competing in many shooting sports. Each has its social aspects and personality. I have met a number of competitors in this sport who do enjoy the re-enactor aspects of related sports and some of them are on this forum.

 

As to a level playing field for the individual sports, NCOWS has a different take on it. Not bad, not good, in comparison, just different. Since this is an expensive sport as is NCOWS, someone interested in participating in both will be well-served to favor the Uberti.

 

I chose a Miroku for this sport, and when (if) I get faster, I will maybe need to switch to an Uberti. If I do get into NCOWS, I will also need an Uberti. Those will be two very different Ubertis; in that sense, it really is a very versatile platform.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently joined NCOWS, though I have yet to attend a match (about 5 hours away).  I have several rifles I could use that are not short-stroked, but if I wanted to use my Uberti 32-20 '73, for example, all I have to do is pull out the short stroke links and lifter and put the stock parts back in.  5 minute job.

Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading the NCOWS rules, it appears that nothing I have is legal except maybe my New Model Vaqueros.  All my rifles, shotguns and leather gear are illegal.   I guess I'll just stick with SASS.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a hand full of Ubertis in different calibers, some full on race guns.  A  few Brownings (not that you asked) and real Winchesters as well.    Shot them all at one time or another is SASS.  One of the Ubertis for 25+ years now.

 

Full race Ubertis are an acquired taste, some may not like them.  Stock Ubertis are pretty much is the same as a stock, vintage Winchester only without the decades of wear to smooth them out.   Tiny bit of hand work to smooth my Miroku out.   Boils down to what you details are important to you I suspect but I like the Mirokus better  than the Ubertis.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Probably more like "couldn't."

 

I'm not really into the re-enactor aspects of NCOWS but I enjoy competing in many shooting sports. Each has its social aspects and personality. I have met a number of competitors in this sport who do enjoy the re-enactor aspects of related sports and some of them are on this forum.

 

As to a level playing field for the individual sports, NCOWS has a different take on it. Not bad, not good, in comparison, just different. Since this is an expensive sport as is NCOWS, someone interested in participating in both will be well-served to favor the Uberti.

 

I chose a Miroku for this sport, and when (if) I get faster, I will maybe need to switch to an Uberti. If I do get into NCOWS, I will also need an Uberti. Those will be two very different Ubertis; in that sense, it really is a very versatile platform.

There’s no NCows around here anyway, the closest one I know of is in Indiana, I’m in Ohio. You’re right though I COULDN’T  care less!:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.