SASS Wire Forum

Miroku vs Uberti

Rye Miles #13621

I know I know, this horse has been beat up before but now I'm actually looking and seriously considering a 73 Miroku in .357 or maybe a Uberti 73.

Thoughts would be helpful much obliged!;)

Rye

Tough decision.  The Winchesters seem to have better fit and finish out of the box.  However, Uberti is what all of the gunsmiths have been working on for the last 20 years so there is a lot of aftermarket parts and experience with them.  If I was going to buy one and just shoot it stock, I would go with Winchester.  If I was wiling to spend an additional $400+ for a slicked up version, I would go with Uberti.  

I suppose it come down to, how fast are you willing to pay for.

I have both, I won't be buying any more Miroku's unless Uberti quits making them OR someone makes a good 5th gen kit for the Miroku AND parts become more available in general. 

I've got a Miroku in .44-40 that doesn't feed quite right and I'll have to send it to a gunsmith to fix it; cut & weld job. My son has a Miroku .357 that's a great rifle(action job, but no shorter stroke), but if something breaks I don't know when parts would be available.

I have both in 357. Purchased Miroku already short stroked from Navy Arms. Like them both and shoot both. Uberti has a longer track record and parts, from what I here are easier to come by. Also I don't know if a short stroke kit is available for the Miroku.

Due to parts availability, I'd go with the Uberti... unless you just HAVE-to-HAVE a new rifle with "Winchester" on the barrel.

Besides, shouldn't your title be "Miroku vs. Uberti".... as Winchester IS made by Miroku???  

Comparing NIB rifles my vote goes for Miroku. 

Pros to the Miroku, Shorter stroke, better fit and finish, better wood.  Also the Mirokus have a wire trigger and safety spring along with the standardized the lever springs (they are both the same no right and left springs.  Cons to the Miroku, current parts availability issues, limited aftermarket parts, less available calibers and configurations, non-traditional safety on the firing pin extension.

Pros to the Uberti, lots of different configurations, lots of aftermarket parts/kits, can be found in all the traditional WCF calibers along with modern favorites like the 357, 45colt and 44mag.  Also a pro to the traditionalist, the Uberti is a pretty faithful copy of the original Winchester 73 both inside and out.  Cons to the Uberti, pretty stiff out of the box, longer lever throw.

Comparing slicked up rifles the Ubertis have my vote.  The cut and weld action jobs are nice on my Mirokus but some of those 4th gen C&I kits feel really nice in the Ubertis.  Not sure I have ever handled a 5th gen, but either way the Uberti wins hands down IMHO just do to aftermarket parts.

The Miroku is quite nice out of the box.  Out of the Box is what you get.  There are NO speed parts for the Miroku.  As far as I know, there're only a couple guys willing to short stroke Miroku and it is a Cut and Weld proposition.  I'm not a fan of Cut and Weld.

The Uberti is quite nice out of the box, if not quite as smooth as the Miroku.  However, there are a plethoras of Speed Parts available for Uberti.  Repair parts, if needed, are plentiful.  Quite a few guys are building up Uberti rifles

Additionally, Availability of Miroku rifles has become somewhat spotty.  Availability of parts for Miroku has also been spotty to non-existent.  Considering your pat luck with rifles, that's a big consideration Rye.  Once the appropriate action work is completed, there's NO comparison at all.  The Uberti build up to be faster, smoother, lighter, quicker and much easier to fix than Miroku.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Due to parts availability, I'd go with the Uberti... unless you just HAVE-to-HAVE a new rifle with "Winchester" on the barrel.

Besides, shouldn't your title be "Miroku vs. Uberti".... as Winchester IS made by Miroku???  

Whoops, fixing it now. Thanks !

The answer to this question is the same answer given by an old cowboy, being interviewed by a young reporter. The old cowboy was asked: "do real cowboys wear boxers, or briefs?" The old cowboy replied: "Depends".

You get a fine firearm, with either company. However, on most anything you purchase, you have to think about: "service after the sale", and parts availability, and who can, and will, work on it, for whatever reason.

You have to think about the fact that the "Winchesters" are made with a short stroke already there.

Some organizations do not allow that feature...and also, do you want that feature?

Then you have to consider the price of the item, and the quality of it, right out of the box.

Considering that anything mechanical, and especially the toys that are used in C.A.S. events (that are used pretty hard)...things can, and do, wear and break, or have that great potential.  Because of that aspect, I'd have to give the nod to Uberti, because of the availability of parts, and the availability of either you, or someone else, being able to work on them.

Also, Uberti's come in more calibers, than the "Winchesters". I have Uberti's in: .38 WCF; 44 WCF; and .44 Special.

They also are available in .32 WCF, and .45 Colt; and 38-55; and 30-30, and 45-60; and 45-75; and 50-95; and 45-70, as well.  

Now...one more thing, that may, or may not matter to you. The authentic design, and I am not just talking externally, but internally as well.

The "Winchesters", internally anyway, are not exactly designed like the originals.  Of the two, Uberti is more of a clone to the original design.

Again, that may not matter to you. Being authentic, in firearms, clothing, hats, boots, etc., is subjective, and to some it is important, to others, it doesn't matter that much. Hence, in S.A.S.S. anyway, there is a wide latitude there, and authenticity can be a little more loosey-goosey, than other organizations.

So...you may have to consider that if you are in an area that has a C.A.S. organization, that is handy to you, and it is not a S.A.S.S. organization, they may not allow a short-stroke feature. Thus the "Winchester" would not be allowed. I presume you want to purchase just one firearm, so in that situation, you either don't participate, or you have an Uberti.  You have to consider all the possibilities.

S.A.S.S. is not the only C.A.S. organization out there.

All the best on your decision.

W.K.

1 hour ago, July Smith said:

...Also the Mirokus have a wire trigger and safety spring...

Uberti changed to a coil wire spring for the safety a few years ago.

2 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

The answer to this question is the same answer given by an old cowboy, being interviewed by a young reporter. The old cowboy was asked: "do real cowboys wear boxers, or briefs?" The old cowboy replied: "Depends".

You get a fine firearm, with either company. However, on most anything you purchase, you have to think about: "service after the sale", and parts availability, and who can, and will, work on it, for whatever reason.

You have to think about the fact that the "Winchesters" are made with a short stroke already there.

Some organizations do not allow that feature...and also, do you want that feature?

Then you have to consider the price of the item, and the quality of it, right out of the box.

Considering that anything mechanical, and especially the toys that are used in C.A.S. events (that are used pretty hard)...things can, and do, wear and break, or have that great potential.  Because of that aspect, I'd have to give the nod to Uberti, because of the availability of parts, and the availability of either you, or someone else, being able to work on them.

Also, Uberti's come in more calibers, than the "Winchesters". I have Uberti's in: .38 WCF; 44 WCF; and .44 Special.

They also are available in .32 WCF, and .45 Colt; and 38-55; and 30-30, and 45-60; and 45-75; and 50-95; and 45-70, as well.  

Now...one more thing, that may, or may not matter to you. The authentic design, and I am not just talking externally, but internally as well.

The "Winchesters", internally anyway, are not exactly designed like the originals.  Of the two, Uberti is more of a clone to the original design.

Again, that may not matter to you. Being authentic, in firearms, clothing, hats, boots, etc., is subjective, and to some it is important, to others, it doesn't matter that much. Hence, in S.A.S.S. anyway, there is a wide latitude there, and authenticity can be a little more loosey-goosey, than other organizations.

So...you may have to consider that if you are in an area that has a C.A.S. organization, that is handy to you, and it is not a S.A.S.S. organization, they may not allow a short-stroke feature. Thus the "Winchester" would not be allowed. I presume you want to purchase just one firearm, so in that situation, you either don't participate, or you have an Uberti.  You have to consider all the possibilities.

S.A.S.S. is not the only C.A.S. organization out there.

All the best on your decision.

W.K.

I have 2 Uberti's right now, a 73 and a 66. I've had Uberti's in .44-40 and .45 I had ONE Miroku in .44-40 and it was a problem getting the right links for a short stroke. Now I'm back to .38's and I want to get another rifle. Hence the question, Miroku or Uberti.

Thanks for your concern I've been shooting since 1998.

Rye

I have both also.... Personally I prefer the Miroku and both of my Miroku's are slicked up w/ cut & weld short strokes.....

But the Uberti is Really Nice too and I did have 3 Uberti's....  After I got my First Miroku I sold two of the Uberti's

The one Uberti I still have is slicked up with a Pioneer SS in it, it's a 38WCF and Really Sweet....

If Miroku was to release a 38WCF I might be tempted to replace it............ But it's really Nice, so I may not.

Bottom Line is they're Both Great, the Miroku may be slightly closer to CAS ready out of the Box...

But if you're like Me and want to shoot the slickest gun available...  then they Both need work.

It's Nice to have Choices B)

8 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

The Miroku is quite nice out of the box.  Out of the Box is what you get.  There are NO speed parts for the Miroku.  As far as I know, there're only a couple guys willing to short stroke Miroku and it is a Cut and Weld proposition.  I'm not a fan of Cut and Weld.

The stroke on the Miroku is shorter than stock (original Winchester or Uberti) out of the box. It is short enough that the rifle is not legal for NCOWS.

The only speed part I feel mine needs is to lighten the lever safety, and I found (and bought) two options for it. Other than that, some minor deburring (slicking) won't hurt the gun. That same slicking could be accomplished by binge-watching all the spaghetti westerns while cycling the action.

Agree replacement parts will likely be a problem if you screw up an original part, which is why I am buying aftermarket rather than bending the originals (which apparently many have done successfully!).

There was a short stroke kit available for a while, now out of production. rumor is it did not wear well, IDK and have no first-hand knowledge. But have read that even if you get an Uberti (really not a bad choice at all), you should consider shooting it for a year or so before deciding if you even need or want to short stroke it.

While options for the Miroku are limited, it does not need as many options. As stated above, that damn lever safety spring is the big impediment to speed; and there are fixes for it without damaging the original parts.

Which leaves one other consideration... The finish on the Miroku furniture is oil, the finish on the Uberti is varnish (poly?). Anyway, small scratches and dings on a Miroku can be fixed with more oil (and a dozen very thin coats should fill the pores and smooth out the stock out of the box). Repairing the Uberti furniture requires sanding and applying new coats, more work than simply adding more stock oil finish.

And finally, my impression of cycling a slicked Uberti for the first time after handling a stock one out of the box... Angels sang. If you get an Uberti, get it slicked professionally, you will not regret it. If you get a Miroku, just fix that damn lever safety and then shoot the snot out of it. I don't think you will regret that either.

I was just commenting this morning that the biggest difference between my slicked up Uberti and my stock Miroku is that dang lever safety spring. If that were as nice as my Uberti's, it wouldn't be that bad. Still not as smooth as the Uberti though. It's so stiff you almost have to wrap your thumb around the stock to get the safety to reliably come off. Wrapping the thumb is a big no-no for optimal speed but I wouldn't know. I'm slower than molasses in winter time! Lol

Lever safety spring is an easy fix. have 3 mirokus and 1 uberti slicked up. The miroku I shoot is slick as the uberti and all that took is lightening the springs until it "felt right".  Mirokus are awesome.

These two arrived within two weeks of each other.  A Mirowin stainless and a Ubercimm case hardened.  Out of the box they were both really pretty.  Almost to pretty to shoot.  The fit and finish is really nice.  Can’t find a flaw.  The wood on both is exceptional.  The action is a little stiff but smooth.  The Mirowin has about a two inch shorter stroke, as shown in the picture.  The Ubercimm came with a black blade front sight which makes it hard to acquire with a dark target or black bull.  I have ordered brass bead to match the Mirowin.  Bottom line almost identical out of the box.  But I’m here to tell you, you’re going to pay more for Mirowin’s more prestigious name.

7450EBE0-AB5E-4FB4-AC56-76C64559CAB1.jpeg

0F80B735-2E99-4FD7-BBCB-BD9E51168197.jpeg

895955E5-573E-4C40-87D9-FD8B73653738.jpeg

38D2C76A-DDC1-491E-9411-592EA0CFE928.jpeg

No.  It didn't come installed. The front and rear sights are in the box.  Not sure why.  I guess maybe some people want something different.  I did the front sight but I'll probably let my LGS do the rear.  Too much nice metal for me to be hacking around with a brass hammer and punch.

• 1 month later...

I are some GASTERFLABBED!!  I was/am completely unaware Miroku was making the '73 in STAINLESS!!  Folks have been asking for a Stainless '73 for DECADES!!  

I WANT ONE!!

25 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I are some GASTERFLABBED!!  I was/am completely unaware Miroku was making the '73 in STAINLESS!!  Folks have been asking for a Stainless '73 for DECADES!!  

I WANT ONE!!

Well the reason you were unaware is because they don't.  :)

Can you say "Navy Arms French Gray"  ?

WOW!!  Thanks Abilene.  For a minute there I ready to chase Rainbows, Trap Fairies, Raid the Refrigerator!!  I'm OK now.  Whew.

Sorry MorWin and Navy.  2500 In folding green a little too rich for my meager allowance.

On 10/22/2020 at 7:16 PM, Wyoma said:

No.  It didn't come installed. The front and rear sights are in the box.  Not sure why.  I guess maybe some people want something different.  I did the front sight but I'll probably let my LGS do the rear.  Too much nice metal for me to be hacking around with a brass hammer and punch.

Lol! That much money and you have to install the sights yourself?

It would be interesting to hear Nate Kiowa Jones weigh in on this one.

On another site, I found his comments about 1892 Rossi vs Winchester, where he favors the Rossi.
I don't hear much about Rossi... they sort of feel like the red-headed step child of SASS rifles.

I have no dog in this fight, but I did acquire a Uberti 1873 in 44 mag, simply because I wanted a toggle link SASS rifle.
The Marlin 1894CB has an octagonal barrel and a 1:38 twist that puts 240 grain bullets in the sweet spot for stability.
I passed on the Marlin only because I wanted the 44 toggle link as a companion to my Marlin in 357.

Can those of you who lightened the lever safety spring elaborate? Did you modify the existing spring or replace it?

In regards to the sightless rifle, it is my understanding a number of guns were offered “in the white” primarily as base guns for custom engraving or finishing. The sights wouldn’t be installed until the end of the project. This is internet wisdom, so take it for what it’s worth.

I bought my Mirowin as a backup to my Uberti and for pistol caliber rifle side matches. It shoots well and is a nice gun, but that lever safety is a bear.

Comparing the lever throw with a 2 year old Cody-Matic.

7D83362D-B939-4A7D-B2B5-9AFD29F7C71B.jpeg

5B2FB087-11B4-4366-BFA9-C1ACADB659B8.jpeg

As far as the stainless Wnchester goes CDNN was running about one or two a week on Gunbroker for awhile.  It appears they may have dried up.  Bids were as high as $1800+ and about the lowest I saw was just under $1500.  They were advertised as ready for engraving and that would be something.  I think they go more as collector/gift pieces, as opposed to throwing in the back of the truck.

55 minutes ago, Wyoma said:

As far as the stainless Wnchester goes CDNN was running about one or two a week on Gunbroker for awhile.  It appears they may have dried up.  Bids were as high as $1800+ and about the lowest I saw was just under $1500.  They were advertised as ready for engraving and that would be something.  I think they go more as collector/gift pieces, as opposed to throwing in the back of the truck.

Those were "in the white" for engraving, basically safe queens. They showed up in my email alerts, did not buy, not rich. But they were cool firearms.

21 hours ago, Cibola Al said:

Can those of you who lightened the lever safety spring elaborate? Did you modify the existing spring or replace it?

In regards to the sightless rifle, it is my understanding a number of guns were offered “in the white” primarily as base guns for custom engraving or finishing. The sights wouldn’t be installed until the end of the project. This is internet wisdom, so take it for what it’s worth.

I bought my Mirowin as a backup to my Uberti and for pistol caliber rifle side matches. It shoots well and is a nice gun, but that lever safety is a bear.

Comparing the lever throw with a 2 year old Cody-Matic.

7D83362D-B939-4A7D-B2B5-9AFD29F7C71B.jpeg

5B2FB087-11B4-4366-BFA9-C1ACADB659B8.jpeg

Modify existing is easy. Once you get to the spring, you can either do in place or remove. Just need to gently bend the contact side a bit to lighten pressure. Do not get overly agressive with it. 

On 10/20/2020 at 7:05 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I know I know, this horse has been beat up before but now I'm actually looking and seriously considering a 73 Miroku in .357 or maybe a Uberti 73.

Thoughts would be helpful much obliged!;)

Rye

I've had both and tuned both. The first response you got is good advice IMO. If you just want to buy and shoot the Miroku is better out of the box. If you plan on doing more the Uberti would be my choice. 

Archived