SASS Wire Forum

Who Says History Is Boring?

Subdeacon Joe

Fascinating stuff.

October 19, 1842
U.S. Naval Commodore Jones, acting on rumors of war with Mexico, captured Monterey, the capital of Alta California. The next day when he learned war was not declared, he apologized then left. Watercolor of the capture of Monterey by Gunner William H. Meyers of the warship Cyane. Courtesy of The Bancroft Library, U.C. Berkeley. #CaliforniaHistory #Monterey Follow This Week in California History on Instagram

No photo description available.

After realizing his error, Jones gave the city back to Mexico and told his men to stand down. The Mexican flag was raised over the fort once again.

To try and patch relations, the Mexican and American officials at Monterey began hosting parties for one another while their respective national governments launched investigations.

Luckily, the Marines and soldiers had behaved themselves so well during the occupation that the locals were actually fond of the them.

That right there makes me doubt it.  Well behaved Marines???

That's great.  As a historian, I've never found history boring, but definitely some history professors. :)

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Fascinating stuff.

October 19, 1842
U.S. Naval Commodore Jones, acting on rumors of war with Mexico, captured Monterey, the capital of Alta California. The next day when he learned war was not declared, he apologized then left. Watercolor of the capture of Monterey by Gunner William H. Meyers of the warship Cyane. Courtesy of The Bancroft Library, U.C. Berkeley. #CaliforniaHistory #Monterey Follow This Week in California History on Instagram

No photo description available.

That right there makes me doubt it.  Well behaved Marines???

Many of us are.  If you dispute that 'll have to get rude....and you don't want THAT!

59 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

On the other hand, the Marines do give medals for Good Conduct. Undetected misbehavior.

Fixed it for you.:D

BTW Back when I was in the Navy did as well.

Question:   Who thinks history is boring?

Answer:     Most Democrats.

31 minutes ago, twelve mile REB said:

I would say a large portion of people under the age of 30.  I've found about as many conservatives whose eyes roll up in their heads when history is brought up as liberals.  But once people get into their 30s, in general, there starts to be a development of appreciation of history.

I think a lot of it is how it is taught in schools, and how so little is done to connect historic events to the present.

7 hours ago, twelve mile REB said:

Naw, they think history is fluid and maleable and alterable, something to be used to distort reality for political gain.. :D

Boring, no never; as much you know about history the less mistakes you will do in life. Many acts of actual life are just similar reflections of past events.

Industrial developments, wars, epidemics, economy, health are cyclic events btw I have not see something new in many years.

The issue is we have a very short life spam (even is improving very well last decades) 

Archived