SASS Wire Forum

Help Reloading 45 colt

joachim slim

I am going to try my hand at reloading some 45 colt. I want it stronger than Cowboy loads but not at 45colt +p loads. I will be useing hollow points or jacketed hollow points. I will be shooting these out of a large frame Ruger New Model Blackhawk and a Ruger Redhawk. Any suggestions?

A good standard load for a Colt will work fine for most everything.  You can load a little hotter for the big Rugers, but normally no need.

There are a lot of good web sites with data:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx

http://www.reloadammo.com/45cload.htm

And it is always a great idea to get a good reloading manual such as RCBS, Lyman's, etc.

My favorite "warm" 45 Colt load is 7.9gr of Green Dot behind a 200 gr RNFP bullet. I used to shoot this out of a Rossi 92 carbine (20 inch barrel). 

Zeroed 2 inches high at 25yds it would hit POA at 100yds.  It went 1200fps out of that 20 inch barrel. s10.gif.1c7a122af90376ab8a59982bb2703b32.gif

I had a similar load using Red Dot but it was a little too violent (for me) for the same fps (not a nice push like the GD ... it let you know).

If you have Unique or something slower like that you can do the same thing with a few extra grains (9.5 or so) ... might feel nicer. I didn't have any at the time and never tried it.  

Pull out your "regular" loading manual and take just about any of the loads at top end of "safe for single actions".   I use 231 or Unique for loads like those, but there's 20 or so other powders that would do in a pinch.

Good luck, GJ

Almost all the newer reloading manuals + the sites referenced above include loads suitable for Rugers.  If you're just looking for full power 45 Colt loads suitable for Colt Single Action Armies or their clones, any reloading manual that has handgun data will provide you plenty of choices.  The technique I was taught was to begin with 5 rounds about 15% of maximum and work up an additional 5 rounds in ½ or 1 grain increments up to the maximum recommended until you find accuracy drops off.  The load with best accuracy will be your most efficient load in YOUR firearm.  Any other shortcut or advise from others may or may not be optimal in YOUR gun.  

Which would you prefer, a load that works well in someone else's firearm, or one that provides excellent results in YOUR gun?

I am going to try my hand at reloading some 45 colt.

Missing .in post ... what  weight bullet you plan to use determines reloading data for the 45LC

And if you log onto the SASS FAQ Wire, there is loading data for any weight bullet.  Did you know the FAQ Wire existed?

Paco Kelly has some +P loads that will make your eyes water.  Used the H110 load in my Rugers but had to back off a little to hold it in the Rossi.   I know this is not exactly what you requested, but he goes into why the 45 kills the way it does on game animals.  Taylor Knock Down out of Africa concept is good info and why the 45 will out perform 44 Mag with proper handloads.  Loads he is working with should only be used in the full sized RV or the Redhawk.

Good read anyway you look at it...  http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/45coltlevergun.htm

r

=

The newest Hornady Manual has some great .45 Colt loads listed for the 250 Gr XTP HP,  try Win 231 at about 750 FPS from a revolver.  If you go hot you will most likely split the brass.

I loaded a bunch of 250 gr bullets at the max load of Unique (in manual as standard non-plus P loads) for accuracy and for deer hunting.  I load much lighter for SASS.

IMG_8658.JPG

Archived