SASS Wire Forum

Little League fans show their Patriotism

Sedalia Dave

First this is from a softball game in 2015. Second what is missing is that reason that the National Anthem wasn't being played is because of technical issues not because of any PC bull pucky.

Still it makes me proud   :FlagAm: :wub:

wish the pros would take the hint and set a better example , they are role models and are paid to play the game - get off the political wagon , little league is better to watch under this scenario 

Still happens in Alaska, still have two grandsons playing high school sports and two great grandsons following. 

I recall that a few years ago there was a broo-ha-ha at a Little League tournament (I think that's what it was) where it was said at the start of it, and in the literature about it before the thing started that the National Anthem would be played ONCE, at the opening game of the tournament, and that it would not be played in subsequent games.  Which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.  People got all bent out of shape about it.

As much as I enjoy it when it is well rendered, there is nothing sacred about the Anthem being sung or played before a sporting event.  If it IS played, then I do expect those in the stadium, both players and fans, to render appropriate honors.

When I did a brief search to try to find details of that tournament, I ran across this

After a rainout, Game 1 of the 1918 World Series began on Sept. 5, 100 years ago next week. Cubs ace Hippo Vaughn took the mound against Red Sox starter Babe Ruth.

"You would think that this pitching matchup would stir great anticipation bordering on frenzy," John Thorn says. "But no. All the press accounts indicated that the crowd was sitting on its hands."

Babe Ruth pitched Game 1 for the Boston Red Sox in the 1918 World Series. (AP) Babe Ruth pitched Game 1 for the Boston Red Sox in the 1918 World Series. (AP)

"They were paying more attention during the game to a group of Army biplanes doing stunts near the park than they really were to the game," Leeke says.

The crowd of just over 19,000 was unimpressed as Vaughn and Ruth engaged in one of the greatest pitching duels of all time. Marc Ferris recalls the words of a New York Times reporter who was at the game.

"He said that the crowd was yawning until the ‘Star-Spangled Banner’ is spontaneously played by the naval training school band during the seventh-inning stretch."

A 'Wonderful, Spontaneous Moment' 

It’s important to note that the song was not yet the official national anthem, although most Americans were familiar with it. But this was a newly-arranged version.

"It had been rejiggered by John Philip Sousa," Thorn says. "It was now more suitable for a larger band. And the crowd seemed surprised by it."

"And the civilian ballplayers all took off their cap and faced the flag," Leeke says. "But the Red Sox' third baseman was an active-duty sailor, Fred Thomas. He had furlough from the Great Lakes training station near Chicago to play in the Series. And, since he was active military, he kept his cap on. He faced the flag, and he snapped off a military salute.

Boston Red Sox third baseman Fred Thomas. (Public Domain) Boston Red Sox third baseman Fred Thomas. (Public Domain)

"And the fans noticed that. And a few fans began singing along with the ‘Star-Spangled Banner.’ And soon, the entire park was singing along. It was just this wonderful, spontaneous moment."

"And by the end, everyone was tossing their caps and celebrating," Thorn says. "With the exception of Fred Thomas. He left his cap on and saluted."

The Red Sox won the game 1–0 behind Ruth’s stellar pitching and first baseman Stuffy McInnis’ 4th-inning RBI single. Some have suggested that it was the greatest baseball game of all time. But it was the "Star-Spangled Banner" and Fred Thomas’ gesture that had energized the war-weary crowd

Archived