SASS Wire Forum

Now Hear This

Utah Bob #35998

I'm supposed to be downsizing my militaria collection. Selling some. Gifting some. Don't want to leave the mem sahib holding the bag when I croak. But

I saw this thing and for some reason couldn't exist. Unwrapped it today. Nice patina but I didn't get it for that.

Being a Bohemian at heart, I'm all about Beauty, Truth, and Love. :D  I figgered that this might be cleaned up to show it's true beauty.

Creamer1.thumb.jpg.3225d5cb58b05a1ae3ceb1435d7f7456.jpg

So I cleaned it up a bit and Et Voila!

Creamer2.thumb.jpg.8d3f02676dce571721c9dd60b3703d44.jpg

Oh, the reason I was attracted to it is...

Creamer3.thumb.jpg.fa31eee3b9895f1811694c6c7aecb736.jpg

Now I feel like I'm having coffee with the admiral in his stateroom!

While I was rubbing it, I was waiting for a genie to pop out with an armload of cash. Didin't happen.

VERY cool~!  :lol:

When I was in high school I worked at the Navy Supply Depot in Oakland.  My job was packaging and shipping all manner of supplies and equipment to naval facilities worldwide, but particularly in the Pacific.  Our crew shipped everything from lumber to food to anchor chains to target drones.

But one of the more memorable items I packaged and sent was a complete sterling silver coffee service, bound for some ship's wardroom or admiral's flag quarters.  Fifty two years later I don't remember the price on the invoice, but do recall being pretty darned impressed at the time...  :rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

VERY cool~!  :lol:

When I was in high school I worked at the Navy Supply Depot in Oakland.  My job was packaging and shipping all manner of supplies and equipment to naval facilities worldwide, but particularly in the Pacific.  Our crew shipped everything from lumber to food to anchor chains to target drones.

But one of the more memorable items I packaged and sent was a complete sterling silver coffee service, bound for some ship's wardroom or admiral's flag quarters.  Fifty two years later I don't remember the price on the invoice, but do recall being pretty darned impressed at the time...  :rolleyes:

I assume the Navy isn't doing that anymore.If they are, it should be on the Admiral's dime! 

From what I can gather from the hallmark, this one is from the 40s. The silversmith has been in business since the 1820s.

33 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That's quite a find.  

If you plan to be cremated save it for the ashes. 

In a Navy vessel?? I think not, sir!

Besides, it’s only a wee creamer.

Bob, you just reminded me that when I was aboard my ship there was a silver tea serving set assigned to the Officer’s Wardroom. I had to polish it once while on mess duty, but I do not recall it being used. I think it was more for decoration in port. It was always stowed at sea.

My ship bobbed like a cork in heavy seas so fragile things had to be stowed. 

13 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

In a Navy vessel?? I think not, sir!

Besides, it’s only a wee creamer.

And when you croak, you surely don't want anyone pouring creamer on your wee wee.

:D

..........Widder

I bought a little tea pot because it was decorative.  It sits on my stove being decorative.  It doesn't heat water very well because the metal is too thin, but it's decorative.

It's just the right size to use for watering my indoor plants, so it isn't only decorative.

I like  my little decorative pot, but I like yours better.

I am jealous and humbled.  :unsure:

17 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

While I was rubbing it, I was waiting for a genie to pop out with an armload of cash. Didin't happen.

The only genie that pops out of those has reenlistment papers...

Reed & Barton was a fine old MA company, until its bankruptcy in 2015; the market for fine silver has been sliding downhill for decades.

Similar pots and side pieces sell on EBay for $25-$40.  This piece was probably silver plated, not sterling.  The cost to the Navy would have been modest.

LL

7 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Reed & Barton was a fine old MA company, until its bankruptcy in 2015; the market for fine silver has been sliding downhill for decades.

Similar pots and side pieces sell on EBay for $25-$40.  This piece was probably silver plated, not sterling.  The cost to the Navy would have been modest.

LL

Yes it's silver plate. Not particularly valuable. But that's not why I bought it.

I just had to. You know how that goes?'

;)

5 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Most of the '40's ,the Navy didn't have time for fancy tea services. Just plain crockery in case they got shelled or torpedoed:blush:

I reckon Nimitz and Halsey woulda had some silver stuff in their dining rooms. 5e Navy had been buying that stuff for decades. I assume every capital ship had some.

Archived