SASS Wire Forum

Opinions and recommendations on work boots

Finagler 6853 Life

Ok, I'm old.  My feet are giving me problems.  Fasciitis in the right foot and in December I'm having my second surgery to remove more cysts in my left.  I'm looking for a unicorn.  A pair of work boots that are comfortable and give good support.  While I am a bit tight (cheap), money really isn't a drawback.  I'd like decent traction so I'm not sliding around in the woods on leaves but don't think I need deep lug soles.  I'm not sure that roper or wellington style boots will give enough support as they are slip ons.  I know of Red Wings, Bates, Whites, Weinbrenner and a few others but I am interested in those of you that wear these everyday.  I push a desk, now so my experience with quality work boots is limited.  Last pair I bought was years ago at the mart.  They work ok but with the issues I have now, I need to up my game.  Fire when ready.  Thanks

Finagler,

I wear boots nearly every day. After a  couple of foot surgeries and having metal plates put in my foot I know what you mean about finding comfortable boots.

In the past couple of years I have tried Thursday Boots, Bates, Redwings and Thorogood Boots. The most comfortable boots for every day use, for me, have been Bates Tactical Boots (non safety toe). These boots may not be good for wet weather. They are ventilated. I buy the WIDE size even though my foot measures normal. This really helps with comfort.

https://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/8"-tactical-sport-side-zip-boot/077896446441.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp077896446441&sc_intid=077896446441&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8rT8BRCbARIsALWiOvQp7RBNwBc_fiM_x7uoXq35UJ1UwNV37oGVkhgRFQ3YKqDXShQSWOEaAjibEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The other thing that makes a world  of difference for me besides comfortable boots is darn good insoles. I have tried dozens of  different insoles and these are the very best and they aren't expensive, especially if you mail order them from Walmart. I put these in all my boots aand shoes.

https://www.amazon.com/Airplus-Memory-Insoles-Comfort-Relief/dp/B010OLI7RC

Much cheaper at Walmart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultra-Work-Memory-Plus-Insole/44781802

Arch support orthotics made my plantar fasciitis go away. I wear steel toed laredo cowboy boots every day. Also looked at ariat steel toe. 

Treat your feet well and replace your boots when you start walking the heel down. 

Rocky boots gave me great service for many years. I have also had good results with Wolverine, both had great arch support and ankle support.

I had one pair of Red Wings that held up pretty well. Had the soles and heels replaced twice before the uppers finally went. 6" lace ups in an oxblood color. I've also had good luck with some types of Rockies, although they were the postal regs shoes:blush:

20 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

I wear LaCrosse when working on concrete.  Switch to Danner hiking boots on the farm.  Lighter weight and more flexibility.  

I wore Red Wing safety boots for ten years when my job dictated it. They were good, but still safety boots. 

By far, Danner is my go-to boot for comfort and support.  They even have a Made in USA series. 

I wore Red Wing 6 inch lace ups for close to 10 years. Good boots, but pricey and occasionally got a blister when breaking them in. Switched to Justin 8 inch lacers about 25 years ago, a bit less expensive, comfortable, never had a blister. Last me about a year. I wear them all the time except when I go out with my wife.  Oh yeah. I don't wear them by choice. Got run over by a tractor when I was young so bad left ankle and foot.

I've got a pair of Justin work-boots, and they are at least 25 years old. These are the U,.S.A. made one's. Don't know if they are made in chinee now, or not.

I am going to have the souls/heels replaced, whenever it is they wear out.

I wore them at work, and around the farm, and going to church.

I am sure there are great boots, out there, and I bet a lot of Pards will recommend what they have had good fortune wearing.

Between all of us, there is a lot of life experiences to draw from.

W.K.

Rocky Eliminators, until they left Nelsonville and went to the Bahamas and who knows where by now.

When they were Nelsonville made, the soles were sewn and could be replaced.

They're bonded now and can't.

I had Red Wing six inch professionally fitted but most of my hoofing is on concrete at work.

If I were looking for lug soles I'd look at lug sole Rocky duty boots but have no experience with them so can't make a recommend.

Earlier comments about replacing the insoles are spot-on.

My wife is a CT tech and wears men's sneakers for hospital uniform wear. 

I did too when I was still midnight shift nurse.

We both learned (the hard way) that even high grade sneakers' padding will pound down into worthlessness in six months' time. 

Good insoles, replaced regularly, will do well in your boots.

Good insoles are what's necessary That means removing the existing insoles and replacing them with ones of better quality.

Mine are made by Superfeet. They come with different levels of support and in standard as well as wide sizes. Best part is they hold up and don't have to be replaced every 30-60 days like many other insoles.

My podiatrist turned me onto them for plantar fasciitis. 

They are available from Amazon.

This may sound weird but I’m using a pair of repro WW11 jump boots with plantar faciiitus insoles. Very comfortable.
I also like Rocky Boots better than other brands I’ve tried.

1CCE819B-3D65-413B-ADD1-8F14161CBEB7.jpeg

My current favorite is a pair of Georgia low heel loggers. Comfortable, insulated and waterproof. And they weren't hugely expensive.

I wear red wings, but I think the most important thing is to go to a shoe store where they know their product.  For years I just wore whatever fit best at wal mart and let them break my feet in.  At the red wing store I made a comment about it being close enough and I think I can get used to it, and the man wouldn't let me buy the boots.  He said they need to be 100% comfortable right now.  He asked me exactly where it was rubbing and came back with a boot that had a slightly different last (which is what they call the shape of the sole for some reason).  He did that for an hour until we found the one that fit right.  That's what you need if you have special foot needs.  Not as brand, but service.  I'm sure red wings are not the best brand out there, but that red wing store is where I've gotten all my shoes since. 

Archived