SASS Wire Forum

do you polish the cylinder chambers?

Hidalgo

wondering if anybody polishes the cylinder chambers? and if so, what/ how do you do it?

Thanks

Hidalgo 57046

If I have a chamber that is misbehaving (sticky ejection, etc), yes.  Haven't had to do that to any of mine.  I do have a chamber scraping tool since I use Cowboy .45 Spl cases in my .45 Colt chambers.  I do try to remember to scrape the carbon out in case I want to ever shoot .45 Colt cartridges.

I have been known to polish the throats if they are a little tighter than I like, though.  Especially on Rugers.

Good luck, GJ

Whenever I will get build up from .38s in .357s I just wrap some bronze wool around an old brush, chuck it up in a drill, put Hoppe's 9 on it and run it through the cylinder.

I use Go-Jo gritty hand cleaner on a 45 C mop and use a portable drill to polish cylinders.  At the unloading table I just rotate cylinder. tip barrel up and the spent shells fall out, no ejector rod needed (unless a split case).  :FlagAm:

Long ago, we used to have pistol reloads on the stage, so many of us polished the cylinder and very very slightly polished the edge of the chamger to help reloading.

Haven'd seen the need now.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 3:57 PM, Tequila Shooter said:

On my cartridge pistols I hone the chambers, not required just helps them come out easier at the ULT.  I use Flex-Hones from Brownells.

+1   Most of the time, the empties just fall right out.

No. Just clean them.

Archived