SASS Wire Forum

Marlin Loading Gate Screw Question

High Spade Mikey Wilson

I sheared off the loading gate screw on my Marlin 1894SS 357 Mag. rifle while checking all the screws for tighness after cleaning. Anyone know what that screw size is? I see plenty of blued ones for sale but not in stainless steel. Thanks!

Not sure, but might check Midway or Brownells for a stainless one. Get a whole set of screws while your ordering. If you have them with you at a match, you will likely never need one!

Brownell's has/had  a handy schematic you can refer to for ordering rifle parts.

Bring up the schematic, find the part and click on it, and it would take you to the part and order page. Very handy and easy.  

It's been a while since I've ordered parts but that's what they used to have. I hope this helps.

Yes the broken part threaded right out of the gate. I found an internet post that said the screw thread was 4-40 x 1/4" long, cleared the loading ramp after installing, and was found at ACE Hardware. I'll have to check it out.

I ordered 3 screws from Midway and they have already shipped. Now to reinstall the loading gate do I have to disassemble the whole action. I watched a video on disassembling the 1894 and after removing the lever, bolt, and ejector they removed the stock, and the hammer spring. Okay so far. Then they removed the hammer, then the trigger and trigger guard assembly. After that they started removing loading ramps, and some block inside. Do I actually have to take all those parts out to put the leading gate back in? Seems to me I should be able to stop after removing the trigger guard assembly, and do I even need to remove the hammer? Thoughts?

6 hours ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

I ordered 3 screws from Midway and they have already shipped. Now to reinstall the loading gate do I have to disassemble the whole action. I watched a video on disassembling the 1894 and after removing the lever, bolt, and ejector they removed the stock, and the hammer spring. Okay so far. Then they removed the hammer, then the trigger and trigger guard assembly. After that they started removing loading ramps, and some block inside. Do I actually have to take all those parts out to put the leading gate back in? Seems to me I should be able to stop after removing the trigger guard assembly, and do I even need to remove the hammer? Thoughts?

Yes... Is the short answer.  The hammer has to come out to get the trigger plate off.  There are YouTube videos that will help.  It's not hard. 

Here is a good one.  Just turn the stupid music off. Obviously,  you won't need to take the forend, tube, etc off.

Archived