SASS Wire Forum

Vaquero front sight

Burley Jack

Need a little advice....the front sight on one of my Sass vaquero’s has decided to fall off...thank goodness I found it...now I need to put it back on. Gun smith or JB Weld? Thanks in advance...

JB Weld if your careful. Clean everything well with acetone or other strong non oily cleanser. Put blue painters tape lining the barrel just outside the sight trough. Mix small amount of JB Weld, I prefer the long set for more strength although I'm sure the 5 minute stuff would be fine. Spread small amount with toothpick into the trough, a little goes a long way. Push sight into trough, checking alignment (straight up and down). Let dry overnight.

Using two part bonders, use the long curing type.

Quick curing has properties not disirable.

Longer curing is usually water proof.

Quick curing is mositure resistant but will fail if exposed to water for a period of time.

Long curing is usually stronger after fully curing.

Long curing usually bonds to more types of materieals.

-----------

Talk to Ruger about the repair before using bonders.

On 10/19/2020 at 11:04 AM, Blast Masterson said:

Locktite 380 Black Max

Fix it on the range between stages and keep shooting for $9.00.

My new Ruger sight got loose and I pulled it off. Replaced w/380 three years ago, still there. Just be sure to tape off the barrel so you don't get any on the barrel cause it won't come off.

Also repaired a SXS barrel rib delamination 3 years ago, still holding.

Look up the factory specs. Better than JB Weld. Actually lists gun repair for it's use.

I replaced (repaired) a front sight on a Winchester model 94 30-30 using the 380 black max. Also used brownells low temp silver solder to repair the front sight on one of my old model vaquero's. This took a little more practice, as getting the temp right is key. Both turned out fine and have held up after firing.

If you are into brass front sights, this is a good time to have a gunsmith install a solid brass front sight.  I know Boomstick and Snake Oil George do them, suspect Lefty Wheeler also does the install. 

On 10/19/2020 at 11:40 AM, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

They have front sights???

^ This X 1,000

1 hour ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

If you are into brass front sights, this is a good time to have a gunsmith install a solid brass front sight.  I know Boomstick and Snake Oil George do them, suspect Lefty Wheeler also does the install. 

^ This X 2,000

10 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

SB...mine fell off TWICE!

But...you know how much I use them!!!:rolleyes:

Only time it ever happened to me must have been during a speed pistol side match. Everything was fine there but first stage of the main match the timer beeped, I drew my pistol but to save my life I could find the front sight. Quickly realized it was gone. I shot the whole match that way and it really didn’t change my score. :lol:

1 minute ago, Shooting Bull said:

Only time it ever happened to me must have been during a speed pistol side match. Everything was fine there but first stage of the main match the timer beeped, I drew my pistol but to save my life I could find the front sight. Quickly realized it was gone. I shot the whole match that way and it really didn’t change my score. :lol:

Right?

The wierdest thing I had happen during a run was my rod/spring (don't know what it's called...external, ejects your empty cases from your cylender) flew off!!!

Was suprised that Non Stop found it...screw intact!

On 10/19/2020 at 7:41 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Brownells has a low temp silver solder that is easy to use and works very well for this.

OLG 

This works very well did my sight about 12 years ago after it came off and its still on and its easy to use!

Archived