SASS Wire Forum

Gun Show Primers

im not looking expectantly for a decent gunshow here this year , not holding my breath to find SPP or SRP even if one does happen that we might get into , ill wait for them to become available , i have the LPP i need for 45s at this point and into the future so ill get by - just not shoot my 38s as i had hoped to , i did not realize i was going to add that caliber to me repetoir until end of february right before the whole covid chit hit and i hadnt ordered the primers yet - got powder , bullets , brass , guns and leather , ill get the primers when they are back to normal , these cycles are getting old - they seem staged or at least a bit artifitial , i know there are lots of new buyers in this election cycle - that should speak volumes to the anti gun folks and odly enough a lot of those buyers are those that were once antigun , 

There are a couple of other reasons why folks are short on primers. 

1) They may be new to the game and or new to reloading.  Or maybe not ramped up to reloading in volume.  Or pistol caliber. Plus they may still trying to pull together all the guns and other things they need.

2) Economic burden of amassing a hord of components.  Years ago, my budget for reloading components was pretty slim. Two kids, mortgage and bills pretty much took my paycheck every month.  Reloading supplies were often paid for by cutting firewood or other odd job sources.  Maybe enough for a pound of powder,  100 primers and 100 bullets at a time.

thats a good point warden , much the same with me in the past , things have changed but now that im retired ive started buying a little slower so i didnt jump on all the components quite as fast as i could have , i have noted in the past that things do rectify and im confident ill get primers at some future point , ill set up my dies and be ready over this winter - ill load shotgun again , lots of things to do without the primers that i can get ready for , i hand prime my cases so this is really not more than an irritation , 

11 minutes ago, Sam Steele #23203 said:

In today's climate, $60 a 1000 is not bad.  Beats the $100 + prices i am seeing around. 

I just paid $56/1000 delivered for Small Pistol Magnum (Federal Gold Match) primers. Stung a bit but I do plan to use them over time.

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

... lots of things to do without the primers that i can get ready for , i hand prime my cases so this is really not more than an irritation , 

Then you can go ahead and size/deprime everything, good idea.

34 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

I just paid $56/1000 delivered for Small Pistol Magnum (Federal Gold Match) primers. Stung a bit but I do plan to use them over time.

With no indication of when they may free up again that may turn out to be a good price!

Randy

Sawmill Mary and I went on a road trip today and stopped in at two of our most productive toy stores. 

The inventory at one was down even more than last month.  I'd say he had 1/4 the inventory that he had this spring.  Whole long racks were empty and the one that had long guns had a lot of gaps. Display cases that once were full of handguns were now filled with old knives.  Ones that had handguns,  were spaced out to fill the room.  Ammo shelves had a lot of empty space and small stacks. He had a peg with Winchester percussion caps at $9.99/100. 

The second store still had a lot of guns and ammo but was definitely less than usual.  One guy was trying to buy ammo. His choice wasn't available.   He had to chose from what was there.  There were a couple of broken 1k boxes of primers that I figured were large rifle as he had no pistol primers last month.

On 10/30/2020 at 5:59 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Then you can go ahead and size/deprime everything, good idea.

exactly , that is my plan , ill load when i can get them ...reasonably , ive got a bunch of 38 colt on hand , some i need to re-run through the crimper to tighten them just a smidge , no worries of running out of things to do ..............................my wife has a list too . 

On 10/30/2020 at 6:46 PM, Warden Callaway said:

Sawmill Mary and I went on a road trip today and stopped in at two of our most productive toy stores....

Warden you sure seem to be situated near some nice toy stores.

The South Texas Pistolaros (San Antonio) have reduced the rifle round count at our local match(es) to 5.  We are also having an optional "Doughboy" category in November for those wanting to use 1911's (.45 ACP) in place of CAS revolvers.  It is not Wild Bunch, just a nod to Veteran's Day.  Next month, we might consider a "Senior Buckaroo" category for those needing to compete with .22's.  From the e-mails received from members, some are unable to find CAS-legal ammo...in any caliber...at any price...at their usual retailers.  Reloading supplies have evaporated as well.

Those of us who have lived through previous panic-buying years know that the manufacturers are churning out ammo and reloading supplies as fast as they can.  Once the TWO MILLION new gun owners have bought what they think they need, supplies of ammo and reloading components will become available.  Depending on what happens on November 3rd, it might take awhile.  Meanwhile, Maid Jalaff and I will (quietly) share what we can with folks who are a little short 'till payday. 

22 hours ago, Beans Ahgin said:

Next month, we might consider a "Senior Buckaroo" category for those needing to compete with .22's. 

That sounds like it would be fun... If it wasn't so far I would come shoot that match. I have 3 single action .22s a bearcat, a single six and a Heritage, and 2 compatible rifles a Marlin 39M Amendment II commemorative and a Winchester 1906. 

:);)

Archived