SASS Wire Forum

Gun Show Primers

Yesterday I attended a gun show at Lebanon, TN and noted very little rifle powder was there at reasonable prices, but no pistol powders.  Some primers were available, not many and idiots were paying 60 to 80 dollars a thousand.  I am happy I have an array of air guns in my toy box.

But rather hard to shoot a SASS match with them air guns, huh?

Primers are short everywhere due to hoarding/panic buying in current civil/medical unrest.  If we could all be civil and well, we would have primers, perhaps.

Good luck, GJ

I have a moral dilemma. I picked up 5K Winchester primers at an Estate sale a year ago, along with a bunch of other stuff. I really prefer Federal primers, and have about 20K on hand

my question is two-fold. Should I sell the Winchester Primers or hang onto them? If I sell them, should I sell for 35/K, or get going price, said to be as much as 100-125? 

55 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I have a moral dilemma. I picked up 5K Winchester primers at an Estate sale a year ago, along with a bunch of other stuff. I really prefer Federal primers, and have about 20K on hand

my question is two-fold. Should I sell the Winchester Primers or hang onto them? If I sell them, should I sell for 35/K, or get going price, said to be as much as 100-125? 

I really don't see a morality question or dilemma. Ask yourself one question, how much will it cost to replace the primers at todays rate? If you had a '57 Chevy, would you sell it for what you bought it for brand new or for what todays price is?

Over $100/1000 is very common on auction sites, and I've seen small pistol primers go for slightly over $300/1000, delivered, on Gunbroker lately.

3 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Over $100/1000 is very common on auction sites, and I've seen small pistol primers go for slightly over $300/1000, delivered, on Gunbroker lately.

You can be assured that they weren't being delivered to me.

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

If you sell them do so to a member of a local club who is short on primers.  We need to keep our local clubs alive and cannot afford to lose members.

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

You didn't mention what size primers they were so the following comment may be moot.

Two things to think about: 1) small pistol and small rifle primers are interchangeable; 2) you could split the difference and ask in the $60 range,  this would give you profit without nasty gouging. 

BS

Small pistol primers!

i couldn’t in good conscience sell them to a cowboy Pard at going rate. But if just the right tacticool guy came along with his ugly black guns I believe I would have to strongly consider it. And for 300/K it would be a no-brainer!

23 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

If you sell them do so to a member of a local club who is short on primers.  We need to keep our local clubs alive and cannot afford to lose members.

+1

I have a young man right now that is unable to shoot because I can’t find primers to load .38 for him.

Keep’em in your local cowboy community. Someone In or near your club surely needs them.
Chert Rock.

During this period of primer shortage ... if you snoozed not stocking up when they were available... now a fool and his money are soon parted for the premium prices 

I would consider myself the fool should I pay in excess of  $100-$300 per 1,000 for primers.

At those prices a cowboy could invest in more guns or gear for after the shortage ends. It will end.

22 hours ago, Hoss said:

Small pistol primers!

i couldn’t in good conscience sell them to a cowboy Pard at going rate. But if just the right tacticool guy came along with his ugly black guns I believe I would have to strongly consider it. And for 300/K it would be a no-brainer!

Some of cowboys have some of them "ugly black guns" as well. 

12 minutes ago, Grave Robber, SASS #57546 said:

Some of cowboys have some of them "ugly black guns" as well. 

I actually have 4. But I don’t show them off. 
a 1911 for the very occasional WB match, and everyone ought to have a 1911 anyways

2 Sig P238s (one for me and one for the wife) these are mini 1911s. I carry one when wearing slacks in a pocket holster 

1 Sig 365. 9mm my every day carry. I don’t care to shoot it that much, but it is a decent pistol. 11 rounds in a single stack compact pistol. 

On 10/19/2020 at 9:10 AM, Deadwood Miner, SASS # 45575 said:

Yesterday I attended a gun show at Lebanon, TN and noted very little rifle powder was there at reasonable prices, but no pistol powders.  Some primers were available, not many and idiots were paying 60 to 80 dollars a thousand.  I am happy I have an array of air guns in my toy box.

Who was the organizer/sponsor of the show?  Did they have any cowboy guns?

I plan to hit some shows after the Holidays, but I have little interest in "tactical firearms" at the moment.

I'd lean seriously toward keeping them.  We're all pretty sure this "crisis" will end as they always do BUT, nobody knows when.  You may not like Winchester primers now, but if they're the only ones available later on you'll LOVE them. 

5 hours ago, Diamond Jake said:

Who was the organizer/sponsor of the show?  Did they have any cowboy guns?

I plan to hit some shows after the Holidays, but I have little interest in "tactical firearms" at the moment.

No cowboy guns anywhere in the show.  Only lever actions were Henry .22 and .45 Colt.  Marlin .22 were for sale used.  Did see one used 336 30-30.  The show was at the AG center in Lebanon, TN. and considered one of the largest.  Most interest was in small handguns and selling like mad.  People were actually in line at tables waiting to get cleared.

Hoss you seem to have an issue about selling the Winchester primers at such a high price when you got them for a much lower price.

Don't sell them.

Offer to trade Winchesters for Federals.

The dollar amount will not matter.

You get what you want and someone else gets what they want.

Straight trade.

A few years back there was a primer shortage.

As a commercial reloader, I could not get the primers I wanted but I could get other primers I prefered not to use.

Took them to the local matches and with in a Saturday and Sunday, I traded 75,000 primers and got what I wanted.

Everyone is looking for primers.

I sent out a message a couple of weeks before that I would trade and the trades came to me at the 2 ranges I was at on that weekend.

7 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

I'd lean seriously toward keeping them.  We're all pretty sure this "crisis" will end as they always do BUT, nobody knows when.  You may not like Winchester primers now, but if they're the only ones available later on you'll LOVE them. 

That’s the way I’m leaning! 

On 10/19/2020 at 2:56 PM, Barry Sloe said:

You didn't mention what size primers they were so the following comment may be moot.

Two things to think about: 1) small pistol and small rifle primers are interchangeable; 2) you could split the difference and ask in the $60 range,  this would give you profit without nasty gouging. 

BS

Small pistol and small rifle primers are interchangeable? So are you telling me that I can take my Federal small pistol primers and seat them in a 556 rifle round they would function correctly? 

Kajun

1 minute ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Small pistol and small rifle primers are interchangeable? So are you telling me that I can take my Federal small pistol primers and seat them in a 556 rifle round they would function correctly? 

Kajun

I wouldn't in a rifle cartridge.

I have use SR in handgun cases with no issue.

OLG 

3 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I wouldn't in a rifle cartridge.

I have use SR in handgun cases with no issue.

OLG 

Just wondering cuz I have never seen someone say they were interchangeable. 

Kajun

When I was the gun room manager at Sportsman's Warehouse, I once asked a CCI rep at a presentation about primers, and she said their Magnum Small Pistol primers were the exact same primer as their standard Small Rifle primer.

11 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Just wondering cuz I have never seen someone say they were interchangeable. 

Kajun

Way back when I used to shoot Bullseye Pistol I mistakenly loaded a few hundred .45 acp with large rifle primers, I had a lot of problems with them before I realized what I had done. If I remember right the biggest problem was high primers.

Randy

52 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Way back when I used to shoot Bullseye Pistol I mistakenly loaded a few hundred .45 acp with large rifle primers, I had a lot of problems with them before I realized what I had done. If I remember right the biggest problem was high primers.

Randy

Different animal.  Small pistol and small rifle are the same size.  Large pistol and large rifle are not the same size. 

BS

11 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Randy

LR primers are taller than large pistol.

.OLG 

If you are not comfortable selling the Winchester Primers at todays market rate. And you feel that you have sufficient primers for yourself and family. Trade them to a pard in need, with the promise that he will replace them as soon as primers are available.

Having gone through this during the Obama years, I learned to stock up in times of plenty.  I have enough loaded ammo to last me about 8 years in various calibers, along with a couple thousand Large and  Small rifle primers , 8,000 large pistol primers and 5,000 small pistol primers.  That is my base line reserve floor. I suggest to all to do the same if you are financially able to. Getting an 8 pound cannister of HP38 from Graf and Sons tomorrow. Price was a bit steep in comparison to the last few cannisters I bought but I was down to my last pound and I need the powder for a few calibers I want to load.

16 hours ago, Coffee said:

If you are not comfortable selling the Winchester Primers at todays market rate. And you feel that you have sufficient primers for yourself and family. Trade them to a pard in need, with the promise that he will replace them as soon as primers are available.

I’ve already given 1000 away to a guy just now getting into reloading. I told him to replace them with Federals when they are available at a reasonable price. (Hopefully November 4:D

Got a guy here that was looking for small rifle primers. He's also getting small pistol. I don't feel the least bit bad about getting $80 per brick. He's making ammo and will pass the price onto others...

On 10/27/2020 at 10:25 AM, Sergeant Smokepole #29248L said:

Having gone through this during the Obama years, I learned to stock up in times of plenty.  ...

I do the same.  

Never could figure out the logic of those that use up their reloading components before thinking about replenishing their inventory.  Too much like having diarrhea and waiting until the last roll of toilet paper is used before buying more.  :)

9 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

I do the same.  

Never could figure out the logic of those that use up their reloading components before thinking about replenishing their inventory.  Too much like having diarrhea and waiting until the last roll of toilet paper is used before buying more.  :)

I heard the same thing in 93 when there was massive flooding on the Missouri River and tributaries.  People would say, "Why would anyone build in a flood plain?". Well,  it was a 500 year flood!  No one would have expected the water to ever get that high.  

We have Grafs just up the road so I tend to only buy in volume to get a price break. MidwayUSA is a backup and when on sale.  I have more than enough small pistol and plenty large pistol for now but had to look for them. 

On 10/29/2020 at 8:06 AM, Matthew Duncan said:

I do the same.  

Tp isn't like primers.  You can buy all you want at any time!!! :wacko:

Chancy

Archived