SASS Wire Forum

Lesson in humility today

Creeker, SASS #43022

Took a little ride today and visited an old school club.

Nice range and nice folks; with a predilection for shooting sequences and utilizing target sizes, shapes and distances reminiscent of yesteryear.

I was quickly reminded that the sites on our guns exist for a reason and that (for me) trying to run 10 yard pistol and 30 yard rifle targets at "speed" combined with some "interesting" sequences (rifle differing from pistol/ 2nd pistol differing from 1st/ rifle, pistols and shotgun all having differing sequences) is a surefire way for me to cause counters to run out of fingers (and potentially toes), luckily my poor shooting stopped short of requiring anyone to disrobe.

I eventually found a gear that allowed me to get through a stage without my misses exceeding my raw time - but it took a stage or two (and a thorough examination of my rifle and pistols to reacquaint myself with the sites) to do so.

I fully admit my preference for big, close and fast - but it might be time to get out the 6" paper plates and work on tightening up some of the sloppiness that I have allowed to creep into my cowboy shooting.

But on the bright side - I found I can still single load my 97 quickly enough for bird and popper engagements.

13 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

rifle differing from pistol/ 2nd pistol differing from 1st/

I wrote ONE stage where the sequence on three targets was 2,2,2,1,5 and 2,2,2,5,1 and the TO reading the stage complained so we changed it to 2,2,2,1,5 2,2,2,1,5.  Rifle and pistol were already the same as they have come to expect. 

I think the next match will be two large dump targets,  one rifle and one pistol, and two shotgun targets.  10, 10, 2 shots. Stand and deliver, any gun, any order, shooter's choice of starting position. No Ps, no misses counted.  All 6 stages the same.

Good for you. We shot a 2 day shoot this last weekend that had the targets a little smaller and further out. Rifle targets were a lot further out. It was a good shoot, good folks and good fun. I shot FCGF Outlaw even though my category was FCGF and had several misses. When I slowed down the misses dropped considerably.

kR

10 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I fully admit my preference for big, close and fast - but it might be time to get out the 6" paper plates and work on tightening up some of the sloppiness that I have allowed to creep into my cowboy shooting.

This. Front sights are not, as I keep telling Shotz E Lady, overrated. She doesn't believe me when I tell her that anyway. Hence the number of National and World Championship buckles she has as opposed to how many I have... :D 

Archived