SASS Wire Forum

What if you had a match and nobody came

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L

At Tusco two years ago in January, Stone Creek Drifter dug through a foot of snow to set targets so about seven of us could practice for upcoming big shoots. Had a blast. Shot about 10 stages that day.

Shooters are pretty scarce out here in Clovis, Ca. right now too. Between the Covid and the fires and smoke we are lucky to form a small posse. 

Snakebite 

I had a great deal of fun at the 10/17 monthly at Border Vigilantes in Cheyenne, WY (Read Otto Range home of Hell on Wheels). Half of those who showed prior to the match left because of wind gusting to 30-35 mph. My son, Devil Dan, and I had come up from Denver and we were there to shoot. Finally, 6 hardy Cowboys went up to Stage 1, Hats flying and coats flapping we had a blast. To those who stayed, Phantom, Assassin, Water Boy, Devil Dan, and one new shooter going to college (Mad Hatter), plus two spectators, it was great. Not the best scores but the best of times. The moral of the story:  There are at least 6 hearty souls in any one group no matter the conditions. Doubt seriously we would have plowed through two feet of snow though. By the way, the wind gusted so high it broke my gun cart and flipped it over. Plus it was fun watching Water bOy chase an empty shot shell bucket for about 50 yards.

If nobody came who took the pictures?  

I get it.  The cowpoke who took the pictures name is "Nobody"!?!?

13 hours ago, Too Tall Bob said:

I hear Arizona calling you!

Heck, the last two times I went to Arizona there was more snow than that!

;)

13 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Heck, the last two times I went to Arizona there was more snow than that!

;)

Southern Arizona lad - Southern Arizona!

9 hours ago, Russ The Red said:

I had a great deal of fun at the 10/17 monthly at Border Vigilantes in Cheyenne, WY (Read Otto Range home of Hell on Wheels). Half of those who showed prior to the match left because of wind gusting to 30-35 mph. My son, Devil Dan, and I had come up from Denver and we were there to shoot. Finally, 6 hardy Cowboys went up to Stage 1, Hats flying and coats flapping we had a blast. To those who stayed, Phantom, Assassin, Water Boy, Devil Dan, and one new shooter going to college (Mad Hatter), plus two spectators, it was great. Not the best scores but the best of times. The moral of the story:  There are at least 6 hearty souls in any one group no matter the conditions. Doubt seriously we would have plowed through two feet of snow though. By the way, the wind gusted so high it broke my gun cart and flipped it over. Plus it was fun watching Water bOy chase an empty shot shell bucket for about 50 yards.

However, we didn't have the smoke from the fires, it was blowing to the south at a high rate of speed. We don't have to do emissions testing either.

Was it a lost brass match?

Bugler

14 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Shooters are pretty scarce out here in Clovis, Ca. right now too. Between the Covid and the fires and smoke we are lucky to form a small posse. 

Snakebite 

True, but we had a good time yesterday!

17 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Maybe you should paint your targets something besides white.  Shooters are a finicky lot.

Paint the targets black so you can see 'em, stomp down the snow so you can find your brass, and go for it! :D 

17 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

You have a dead lock on placing first in your category,

:ph34r:

Overall top shooter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Overall top shooter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately While I'd be top overall, I'd also be my usual finishing spot... last overall!  Unfortunately, I wouldn't have as much fun... nobody to talk to while I was shooting!  Or, my shooting would slow down a LOT... waiting on responses to my comments!

You'd call off a match of a dusting of snow?

Guess it all depends on where you live.   When I was down in DC, there was snowstorm overnight.   So, I got up an extra hour early and made my way to work over the about 3 to 4 inches on I 95.   Unplowed.   

When I got to work, on time, my boss looked at me with surprise and said, "What are you doing here?"

"I'm scheduled to work."

"But, there's snow on all the roads."

"You mean THIS is enough to claim you are snowed in?"

"Well yeah..."

"Wow, back home they'd just tell me to get in here right away."

That being said, I'd not want to shoot in the conditions pictured.  Too cold.  :)

2 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

You'd call off a match of a dusting of snow?

Guess it all depends on where you live.   When I was down in DC, there was snowstorm overnight.   So, I got up an extra hour early and made my way to work over the about 3 to 4 inches on I 95.   Unplowed.   

When I got to work, on time, my boss looked at me with surprise and said, "What are you doing here?"

"I'm scheduled to work."

"But, there's snow on all the roads."

"You mean THIS is enough to claim you are snowed in?"

"Well yeah..."

"Wow, back home they'd just tell me to get in here right away."

That being said, I'd not want to shoot in the conditions pictured.  Too cold.  :)

Actually I've shot in much colder weather, in fact the weekend before we put up the car port and nearly froze to death, a couple of the workers left early because of it.

Just chain up yer gun cart and keep going!

April 19, 2008, Boulder, MT

I think we finally called the match because it started snowing so bad we couldn't see the far targets.

LCH3_4-19-08.JPG

LCH2_4-19-08.JPG

Archived