SASS Wire Forum

Football schedule question

Trigger Mike

The high school football team has lost all 4 games this year.   44 to zero, 55 to zero 69 to zero and another similar score.  Homecoming is coming up against a state championship level team.  They offered to let us reschedule with a team more competitive for them and us, but the coach got mad and the team agreed.  

Personally I think a competitive game and a potential win is more important than pride in playing a team you likely can't beat.  The team players are taking the approach that they can get better playing a great team.  I think you can't get better if you never have a victory or at least a close game.   

Some of you all played football,  what do you think?

No quit in those boys let them keep their participation awards.

Semper Fi 

I played junior high and high school football.  We didn't have a winning season until my senior year.  And yea, there were some no win seasons.  Bottom line is that you play what you are dealt.  Neither team walks onto the field expecting to lose.  There is always the chance of an upset.

BS

I played football in highschool. My first varsity game, we played a school 3 times our size in enrolled students. 

When we walked out on the gridiron, I recall one of our tackles saying, "Look at the size of those guys!"

That didn't instill  a lot of confidence. We played the game. Tackling some of those guys was like tackling a good size tree.

At the half we were down a touchdown, and I was about wore out. Second half we beat them by a touchdown and extra point. 

We had no business beating, but we did. I will never forget that. We went on to tie our arch rivals for the conferce title.

The game is not about scores, it is about building men from boys. 

I was a soccer player but same concepts apply. I admire their tenacity.

As a grown up now I really appreciate those lessons learned on the pitch. People always love a good David and Goliath story, especially the young ones. But in the real world there are real consequences to throwing down against more than you can handle. Whether its professionally, in relationships, or in a literal saloon brawl, survival of the fittest sometimes means knowing your own limitations.

I say let them play, they are kids, and the judgement calls/mistakes they make now will have far less consequences than later on in life, and the results will stick with them when they get older. And if they win, they'll get a confidence boost which is always a good thing.

just my 2cents, and how I view growing up

The only way to improve competitively is too play better competition!!  The lessons learned are "money in the bank" for later in life!!

A team of youngsters that I coached in basketball, lost every game they played during the regular season!!  0 and 12!!  They learned from every game and worked relentlessly on fundamentals and teamwork.  They then swept the field in tournament play, using the game skills and teamwork they had developed!!

South Eastern Regional, 21 49ers including Stan, Delta Glen and Christian Mortician.  Hmmm, should I drop down to Wrangler or Cowboy where there are fewer competitors and I have a better chance of winning or try to run with the big dogs?

I think I'll stick with 49er and I think these boys should play out their schedule. 

The coach and team has reason to be mad.  The suggestion is insulting. 

You play the games scheduled and take your lumps as they may, or may not, come.

We had lost to our biggest rival 9 years in a row- until my senior year when we went to their house and beat them on the way to the State Semi-finals where we lost to the eventual state champs (by one score with no time left on the clock).

Our Coach had a banner hanging in the locker room. 

it read "EXPERIENCE IS A HARD TEACHER, IT GIVES THE TEST FIRST AND THE LESSON AFTERWARD". 

I now understand that statement. So true. 

Archived