SASS Wire Forum

Back in 1984

Subdeacon Joe

Kimball Piano Co. had 84 grand pianos at the Coliseum for the opening ceremonies and they played Gershwin and the National Anthem. I have a customer that has one from that event. Pretty cool idea!!;) 

WOW!  I had forgotten that opening.  And piano that I liked!  

I have said before that I'm not a big fan of the piano, especially what is called classical which, to me sounds like random key strokes showing how fast the pianist can run up and down the keys.  I like some, I guess honky-tonk a la Jerry Lee Lewis, e.g. Chantilly Lace.  Some of that, I think, is because of my hearing and not being able to pick out the subtleties of it.  Part of is, likely the major part of it, is the overbearing, clunky piano playing I've endured at school recitals where (sometimes mercifully) the piano drowns out the kids voices.

Organ?  Fine.  Harpsichord?  Wonderful.  Clavichord?  Great.  Piano?  Eh!  

OH!  Strauss waltzes and polkas on the piano I like.  

I like jazz piano the best, Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson and Chick Corea are some of my favorites!

I agree with you on most of the classical piano pieces. They are hard to listen to.

39 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

which, to me sounds like random key strokes showing how fast the pianist can run up and down the keys.

That's my feeling about a lot of guitar players.

"Oh man, listen to how he can shred that guitar!!!"

Sounds like random noise while he's showing how fast he can run his left hand up and down the neck.

12 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

WOW!  I had forgotten that opening.  And piano that I liked!  

I have said before that I'm not a big fan of the piano, especially what is called classical which, to me sounds like random key strokes showing how fast the pianist can run up and down the keys.  I like some, I guess honky-tonk a la Jerry Lee Lewis, e.g. Chantilly Lace.  Some of that, I think, is because of my hearing and not being able to pick out the subtleties of it.  Part of is, likely the major part of it, is the overbearing, clunky piano playing I've endured at school recitals where (sometimes mercifully) the piano drowns out the kids voices.

Organ?  Fine.  Harpsichord?  Wonderful.  Clavichord?  Great.  Piano?  Eh!  

OH!  Strauss waltzes and polkas on the piano I like.  

You need to spend some time in New Orleans.  You'll learn to love their pianos.

19 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Sounds like random noise while he's showing how fast he can run his left hand up and down the neck.

Musical calisthenics!! 

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Ditto for a lot of classical violin. 

One of my favorite pianists playing one of my favorite songs on a Fender Rhodes electric and a Steinway acoustic!

47 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I like ragtime on the piano

Marvin Hamlisch playing that! Excellent musician !

On 10/18/2020 at 1:07 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

You need to spend some time in New Orleans.  You'll learn to love their pianos.

100% this - best Blues and Soul piano can be found in New Orleans

I wasn't alive in 1984 so that disqualifies me from having any other opinions in this thread lol

I moved to Dallas, TX, in January 1984.  I lived there for about 2-1/2 years.  It just never became MY city; so, I moved back to Houston.

On 10/18/2020 at 12:51 PM, Alpo said:

While I appreciate the skill and dexterity, it does nothing for me, and I strongly believe that music is meant to take us somewhere, emotionally. I believe it was Claude Debussy who said that "music is the silence between the notes." Which is why I will forever choose Jimmy Page over Yngwie Malmsteen.

Archived