SASS Wire Forum

The Uranium Boom

Subdeacon Joe

Did you notice in that first one, at about 11:30, where it was showing all the states and the lower 48 where they found uranium, and they highlighted Oregon and said it was Washington? :huh:

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Did you notice in that first one, at about 11:30, where it was showing all the states and the lower 48 where they found uranium, and they highlighted Oregon and said it was Washington? :huh:

I missed that.  Had to take the dog out before it got that far, didn't bother to go back and watch the last few minutes.

This is the site of the old ore mill in Durango, CO in 2019. It was used during WWII and into the 50's to process uranium ore. The mill is long gone and a lot of effort was required to clean up the tailings. The area still has a higher than normal background radiation level and some trees are just now beginning to grow again. The animas river is just to the left.

IMG_3085.JPG

I remember back in the early 50's my Dad and several of his friends bought a geiger counter and we went out in the Mojave Desert looking for Uranium. I remember one time we found a good reading of radiation and  decided to take some samples to get them assayed. They bored some holes in the rocks and put in some dynamite and blew a big hole in the ground. The geiger counter went nuts. Later found out it was Thorium,  a radioactive mineral worth nothing. They also had a black light we used at night looking for other minerals. The scorpions sure light up with it!

Uranium tailing piles were a particular problem because builders took tailings and used it for building foundation material as it was very easy to work.  The tailings emitted radon (a radioactive gas) that entered homes, sometimes to levels considered unsafe by the USEPA.  Remediation cost the government huge sums.  For those who attend the last EOT in New Mexico you can visit the National Atomic Museum on south Eubank and tour their Uranium Enrichment Exhibit.

Archived