SASS Wire Forum

Derringer

Deuce Dynamite

I am sure this topic has been discussed a bunch already but I thought I would start another. I'm thinking about picking up a Derringer. From my research, Bond seems to be a great choice. Specifically I'm looking at the Cowboy Defender model. Those of you with knowledge on Derringers for side matches, or just in general, is this a decent choice or should I get another model? I just want to shoot 45 lc with it. I'm looking for some other opinions to make sure I'm not missing something. Thanks in advance!

You can't go wrong with a Bond.  I have a Texas Defender and it works great.  I purchased it with a 357 barrel but have since gotten one in 32. Most of the Bond derringers come in 45LC.

If you are buying a new one, then Bond is the way to go, in my humble opinion.  If you are looking to get a used one, I would still get a Bond, but you will want to send it back to Bond to have their competition upgrade done.  It's a new hammer and trigger with a much better profile for Cowboy Shooting.  Cost is about $135.00 for the older models, but all of the new stuff has it already built in.  They are currently quoting about a 6 week lead time.

I am currently sitting at week 3......:rolleyes:

The way to tell is that the "upgraded" or new ones have a skeletonized trigger.

Here is a YouTube video of by a guy who had it done.   Bond Upgrade

A question for those that shoot the Derringer side matches.

"A Derringer is defined as an external hammer, fixed sight, breech loading or percussion ignition, small frame pre-1900 design firearm having one to four barrels up to three and one-half inches long."

Some of the Bond models have a trigger guard and some don't, an example being the Cowboy Defender vs the Century 2000. Within the above description from the SHB would the Century 2000 with trigger guard be legal?

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

How is the recoil with the 45?

Not terrible with cowboy loads. The .410 shells get uncomfortable after a few shots. 

With a 250 gr RN and 7 gr. of Unique, the Bond is a handful. I use brass 410's and load #4 buck, makes for a nice shot load. 3" 410's are fun to shoot, but can be brutal !!!

My EDC load is the Hornady critical defence 180 gr 45 colt.

I bought a Bond Texas Defender many years ago with a 38/357 barrel. Later purchased a 22LR barrel for it. Yes it does have a heavy hammer spring in it but for the few times a year a pocket pistol is written into a stage around here at the local level it works just fine. It's a well made derringer.

Archived