SASS Wire Forum

CMP email

Perro Del Diablo

Cool! I love my Garand. I didn’t get it through CMP though. Mine was a Korean lend / lease gun that was apparently built in 1943 then rebuilt / rebarreled in 1952 and was in Korea until 1990 when I bought it in 90 for $239. The thing looked like it had been used as a boat oar. In 95 I had some work done to it. I had it rebarreled, restocked, bedded and accurized. I gave it to my daughter in 2002. She gave it back to me for Father's Day this year. 

0F698AEE-4C75-498E-B320-5CEE601D9904.thumb.jpeg.64b570650932a5d9f56e294902a38ded.jpeg

Be prepared to grin a bunch, Perro~!  :lol:

U. S. Rifle, Caliber .30, M1  :)

Ferguson Rifle (Steve Sklany reproduction carbine), Caliber .62  ^_^

SASS badge  cowboy.gif

2104127419_GarandandFerguson.thumb.jpg.63b45853037f48a00d452e812af551b0.jpg

I got one in March last year. Field Grade Springfield, gauges less than 1 at each end. I couldn't get it to shoot worth crap with 150's, but it's great with 168's. Use Garand-specific loads, of course.

100_2444.JPG.f59de15daf65ab94cacb18ceb000060e.JPG

11 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Looks like he’s holding a BB gun. :lol:

I was thinkin' the same thing!  :lol:

If those garage door panels are the same as mine, this lad must tip the ledger at around 6' 6" plus!  ^_^

Or, as Utah Phillips might've said, about five-foot eighteen or so...  :rolleyes:

So what grade did you order? I don't think they tell you what manufacturer - you just get the next one in the rack, Springfield or H&R. You get a pretty nice hard case with it too. ;)

Love mine. It is from the post Korea era, around 1954 or 55. Pristine condition, and I will, provided the leftists don't steal it, pass it down to my son.

It has to be my favorite rifle.

Get you a small heating pad for your face. It will be sore from all that grinning.

Ya done great!!!

W.K.

4 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Love mine. It is from the post Korea era, around 1954 or 55. Pristine condition...

W.K.

W. K., did ya get an IH~?   :)

I bought mine from a guy that told me he got it through the CMP. 

It has what looks like a CMP cartouche, on the left side of the stock, near the back of the receiver. 

According to the serial number, that I looked up on the website: "USRifleCAL30M1.com", the range of the serial number puts it made between

January 1955, and December 1957, and made by Springfield Armory, which is also on the back of the receiver, along with the serial number.

According to what I can find out, the Springfield Armory closed in 1968. It began operation in 1777, so it had a long life.

The present company, that uses that name, is not the one that closed in '68.

W.K.

Got one from the CMP in the 70's; paid $112. Shot it in DCM competition for years, until my local range was closed which killed off our DCM club. and the free ammo. Finally sold it as it was just a safe queen.  They were really fun to shoot. The DCM matches were 20 standing, 20 sitting, and 20 prone. Ammo was free as DCM sponsored the matches. Even shot an embarrassing 1,000 yard match at Quantico once. 

I was in the Jr. ROTC in high school (McKinley Tech in DC) and was captain of the after school company in 1953-54, when they replaced our Springfield 03's with M1 Garand's. We were given five gallons of gasoline, a case of rubber gloves, cleaning rods, cases of patches and lots of instructions. My little company cleaned the cosmoline out of 120 brand new M1's. Was a really messy job that we did in the quadrangle under the watchful eye of an ancient regular army officer. I preferred the Springfield's for drill rifles. Also learned how to avoid the "M1 thumb" after being bit once.

7 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

So what grade did you order? I don't think they tell you what manufacturer - you just get the next one in the rack, Springfield or H&R. You get a pretty nice hard case with it too. ;)

ordered field grade but not sure how it will work out, part number i requested showed sold out about date i mailed my package.

The use a nicer case than when I got mine. Congratulations!

On 10/21/2020 at 6:02 AM, Perro Del Diablo said:

I’m getting excited. Tracking says should be here by noon. It’s at Dallas sorting facility.

When the  FedEx guy pulled up I was sitting in the lawn chair with my steel pot on. He never batted an eye. There are several eccentric types in the neighborhood besides me. :D

Just now, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

The CMP has gotten real fancy.  When I got mine it came in a plain cardboard box.  Very safe and secure but no fancy case.  Enjoy it Pard.

They can afford it I think. Pure profit. ;)

That looks like a nice one... it even has the early milled trigger guard.

Mine was passed down to me from my father, who bought it in the late 1960s from a surplus house. '43 Winchester receiver, '45 SA barrel, bulk of parts also SA. I've never gauged it; really don't care. I just know it looks the part and is old enough that it never was touched by anybody outside the military.

On 10/17/2020 at 5:26 PM, Three Foot Johnson said:

At 65, I'm getting a little old, fat, and decrepit, but there was a time not too long ago when the bad asses all called me sir. :lol:2098262824_GlacierPark056.thumb.jpg.008de526571341c4a0b7567bf2ab97eb.jpg

No wonder you can shoot 18" barrel SAs. The holsters only go halfway to your knee.

11 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Maker?

I just recently started midnight shift so i quickly fondled then put in safe. I believe it might be Springfield based on serial #. Quick google search of serial number shows March 1941 manufacture date.

Archived