SASS Wire Forum

Grafs BP vs. Goex

Eyesa Horg

It's time to order up more BP. Graf's seems to have about the best price with shipping and Hazmat.

Does anyone know if there is a difference between Graf's made by Goex now and regular Goex brand? Other than the price!

Thanks for your input

I cant attest to anything other than their (graf's brand) re-enactment powder. I was recently given a couple pounds from a friend and the grains are no where close to uniform. I dont expect a lot from a re-enactment grade powder but there's quite a few 1/4" + size  chunks in it and a lot of dust. Of course every size in between. I've never seen so much variance in true goex brand. I dont know if this was just a once off incident or if it's just how it is now. But if you you're using it in matches i'd screen it off before attempting to pour it through a spout. YMMV 

1300543487_GrafsFFGJan2020.jpg.4ba04056720782b9ebdd116e16ed53a4.jpg

Grafs is currently made by Goex.  So...   I've loaded and shot Grafs ffg and Goex ffg.   I couldn't see or tell the difference.   Grafs is currently out of Grafs ffg and fffg.

Reenactor is a mix of grain size.  I've used a lot of it in about everything.  I've never seen grains bigger than cannon grade.

5a6f51734f3d2_FFGGrafsReenactorBlackMZJan2018.jpg.efe472bf5db67de38e6773835eadbad3.jpg

The center example is Reenactor.

11 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Old Eynsford is $6.70 more per pound.  What's the justification? 

Way lower ES over the crono. Down to total ES of 9fps for 10rnds out of my .45-90

Meters with way more consistency. 

The target sez for me to keep using it.

Far less fouling to deal with.

OLG 

To me ,,,,,, it seemed like the Graf's burned a little cleaner than the Goex. " AGAIN ,,, TO ME ". Both in 2f. Other than that ,,, no difference.

Isom

On 10/18/2020 at 11:07 AM, Isom Dart, SASS#8096 said:

To me ,,,,,, it seemed like the Graf's burned a little cleaner than the Goex. " AGAIN ,,, TO ME ". Both in 2f. Other than that ,,, no difference.

Isom

Graf's used to be Schuetzen which does burn a little cleaner than Goex, (and smells sweeter according to some lady shooters) don't now why they switched. Got my last batch at Maine Powder House. Good Luck:)

On 10/18/2020 at 11:07 AM, Isom Dart, SASS#8096 said:

Isom

I found that when the Graf's was made by Wano.

The Wano chronoed a little bit slower, but indeed seemed cleaner. Hard to tell with BP however!!

Yes, Schuetzen made by Wano that Graf used to sell is slower by 100 FPS or so and it burns cleaner than regular Goex. Reason is Wano uses subcontracted Alder Buckthorn branches to make their charcoal, same as Swiss.  Goex uses subcontracted yellow maple which has less sugar than Alder Buckthorn.  But for Cowboy, it does not make a hill of beans due to the short target distances... buy the cheapest on the market today

I recently was loading some more BP Cartridges on my 550C.

As I was getting low on Goex Cartridge, I poured Grafs 2F into the hopper to finish off the rounds I was loading.

The two powders are almost identical in grain size, one is a slightly lighter shade of black when the two powders are side to side.

But whats most important is they Shoot the Same.

I cant tell which ones are Grafs, which ones are Goex and which ones are a Mix of the two.

Thats all that matters to Me!

I just ordered some from Midway since Graf's out. Took advantage of free shipping on other items and the powder was included. Although it didn't qualify alone for free shipping. They will only allow 2 # of each size so had to get 2# of Old E to go with the Goex. I'll use the Old E where accuracy is more important. managed to at least get some 3F & 2F to hold me for a while.  Will check back with Graf's in the future. Hazmazt was only $11.99 at Midway. So it added about $2 per pound. Now I'll sell an old brick of CCI Lg. Pistol primers on Gunbroker to cover the cost.:P

Thanks again for everyone's info, Much Obliged.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Warden, Got some ordered up! Between Midway and now Graf's I should be good for a while.:D

Graf's was 16.49 per #, plus 12.50 hazmat & 9.95 shipping. not too bad

Archived