SASS Wire Forum

M45 Quadmount .50 Caliber "Meat Chopper"

Chantry

I've read about the quad mounted .50 caliber M2's, but it took the video to really get across why it was called the "Meat Chopper".  I've also read a story or two about using the mount against snipers by just chopping down the entire tree with .50 caliber rounds.

14 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

What was that he said about they “built” the M2s?  And they’re only worth $6,000 each?

I'm presuming they were built from a mix of old and new parts. 

Any full-auto or selective fire weapon manufactured or built after 1986 are considered "dealer samples" and can not be transferred to the general public, so the value is much lower than a transferable full-auto/selective fire weapon.  A quick look online and a transferable Browning M-2 will run $25,000 and up depending on condition, maker and accessories (if any).

Chantry said, ....."I've also read a story or two about using the mount against snipers by just chopping down the entire tree with .50 caliber rounds."

Sounds like a young version of the Soviet system.

A trusted correspondent told me if they believed a sniper was at a particular location, they brought in artillery enough to pulverize the entire square acre in which they believed the sniper to be hiding!

Back before I retired I had a coworker whose wife had a relative that work at Dillon Aero.  He brought a VHS tape to work that was of a company fun shoot.  One of the weapons was a minigun & another a quad 50.  The targets were a small drones.

I met a fellow in Nashville in the 1980s that built M2s from scratch, for sale to friendly foreign governments. his museum was impressive.

Imis

22 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Chantry said, ....."I've also read a story or two about using the mount against snipers by just chopping down the entire tree with .50 caliber rounds."

Sounds like a young version of the Soviet system.

A trusted correspondent told me if they believed a sniper was at a particular location, they brought in artillery enough to pulverize the entire square acre in which they believed the sniper to be hiding!

That's a reasonable response.  I do the same thing for snakes. 

On 10/17/2020 at 5:59 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Let’s see a night fire please!

April, 1967, I was on a "firefly" mission staging out of Bac Lieu.  On our second flight we found out that the VC had acquired a quad .50 when they opened fire. Lucky for me they let us go by and fired at one of the Viking gunships that were covering us. It was very impressive,

Even more impressive was seeing the Vikings flying right into them returning fire.  They hit that thing with everything they had and could not suppress it.  We called in Spooky and he couldn't put them out of business.  I don't know what became of that gun, but they gave us one scary night.

Duffield

Archived