SASS Wire Forum

? about Gunsmoke, Rifleman, etc.....

Widder, SASS #59054

On numerous episodes of Gunsmoke, Rifleman, Bonanza, and even Hogans Heroes,   there is

snow in the scenery, along with actors wearing jackets and heavy coats.

QUESTION:  were these movies made in Hollywood and if so, did they really have cool/cold weather and snow?

Just curious.   Thanks.

..........Widder

For the on set scenes, it was prop snow. Made from either cotton, styrofoam or other materials.

I remember seeing a show where it was snowing and they showed how they did it. It was a large wire drum (maybe chicken wire) that was spun and the material would fall like snow.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

The snow is CGI. They drew it in im post-production.

CGI stands for Computer Generated Images. They didn’t had any of them thangs. :lol:

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

I don't know about the others, but many of the outdoor scenes in Gunsmoke was filmed in Utah so may have been real background snow.

Yup. Gun smoke used the old western set in Kanab, Utah a lot. Most westerns were filmed in California. Location moves are expensive. I suspect Gunsmoke was such a hit they had a pretty healthy production budget.
Here’s a list of Gunsmoke locations.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047736/locations?ref_=tt_dt_dt

29 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yup. Gun smoke used the old western set in Kanab, Utah a lot. Most westerns were filmed in California. Location moves are expensive. I suspect Gunsmoke was such a hit they had a pretty healthy production budget.
Here’s a list of Gunsmoke locations.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047736/locations?ref_=tt_dt_dt

Very interesting! I always thought it was shot in California only! Thanks!!;)

If you Google Earth and go down to the road level outside of Dodge, you can see everything coming at you for two weeks, it's that flat.  You don't see that open space in the TV series of Gunsmoke.

A lot of TV westerns were filmed in the Alabama Hills just west of Lone Pine California. Go a little bit further west and you hit the Sierra Nevada mountains. At 14505 ft tall, Mount Whitney and the surrounding peaks often have snow on them 6 or more months of the year.   

Archived