SASS Wire Forum

CIMARRON NO.3 AMERICAN 1ST MODEL 8″

Cibola Al

I see they are available to some degree. Anybody have one? Shot one? Handled one? They appeal to my appreciation of the eclectic.

E7C4FC4C-D1F7-4B57-BD1D-8CA0C50F6554.jpeg

Got one late 90's early 2000's. I've got one of those, a Bisley and a Thunderer, all in 44-40. I call them my "anniversary' guns". I only drag them out once maybe twice a year. They're good shooters, but awkward ,,,, "to me". Just used to shooting plow handles. They just take getting used to.

YMMV,

Isom

41 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

That's a New Model 3, not a Model 3 American.

As far as I know, the Americans are not yet available.  Where has it been stated that they are?

Midway shows them as available.  Look under the Cimarron logo on the gun page and scroll to the third page.  Midway also shows (on the first page) the Schofield model as available.  Interestingly the description of both revolvers are for a Schofield.  Makes you wonder if they know what they're selling.

I just went to Cimarron's page.  I saw a couple of variants on the Russian and several on the Schofield, but nothing for the American.

I did find the .45 on Midway's page.    But I too am wanting it in .44 Special.   I also want a big US stamped on the frame.   It'll complete my collection of US Military Sidearms.   Most are real, but there are a handful of replicas.  

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I just went to Cimarron's page.  I saw a couple of variants on the Russian and several on the Schofield, but nothing for the American.

I did find the .45 on Midway's page.    But I too am wanting it in .44 Special.   I also want a big US stamped on the frame.   It'll complete my collection of US Military Sidearms.   Most are real, but there are a handful of replicas.  

Cimarron had the American on the front page banner of their web site for quite a while and then it disappeared.  They don't list it in the top breaks either.  I think it's only in 45 Colt anyway. 

TSS says they have 4 in stock. Several Gunbroker vendors have them listed. As noted, all in 45 Colt so far. There was mention of the 44 chambering, but none have made it to the shelves thus far (to my knowledge). 

I love the look but I wish they would make them with the original length cylinder so that they would work with BP.  This would require that they be made in .44 Russian or .45 Schofield, so it will never happen. 

2 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Cimarron had the American on the front page banner of their web site for quite a while and then it disappeared.  They don't list it in the top breaks either.  I think it's only in 45 Colt anyway. 

Looks like Cimarron is changing their website.  Right now none of the banner ads that rotated across the top are present.   And it is not easy finding some guns on their website.  I don't think the American is there at all.  I know that so far 45 Colt is the only caliber that has come in from Uberti.  They will sell a LOT more of that caliber.  But I noticed recently that they now also have 44-40's on order in addition to the 44 Spcl.

Sounds like it's time to go see my local dealer again.  :)

I plan on the .44 Special for a few reasons.   First, I have enough .45's  Second, I need another pistol in .44 Special.  Third, while I will normally run Specials in it, I can if the fancy suits me, run Russians in it and closely replicate the .44 American's performance if I ever wish to do so for reasons of comparison of how the military sidearm evolved over time.

I could get it in .44-40 and then pair it with my new model 3 in that caliber, but oddly, that's not much of a factor for me.

Actually. with it in .44 Special, I can pair it with my Colt Buntline in the same caliber and go all Wyatt Earpy if I want to.

Unless they have sold it, I am looking at one, for sale, right now, in .45 Colt, with an 8 inch barrel. 

I am waiting for one in the shorter barrel, in .44.

I like my 1860 Army clone, with an 8 inch barrel, but I don't care for this model with an 8 inch one.  

So....we wait, and watch, and wait some more.

W.K.

19 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I know that so far 45 Colt is the only caliber that has come in from Uberti.  They will sell a LOT more of that caliber.  But I noticed recently that they now also have 44-40's on order in addition to the 44 Spcl.

I am sure they will sell a lot of them in these calibers, but not to anyone that wants to shoot bp.  To allow for the  longer cylinder required for these calibers they moved  the cylinder gap to a point where bp fouling locks up the cylinder after a cylinder or two.  This is true of the modern Schofield and I asked Cimarron if the new American used the same cylinder setup and was told it did.  

The original designers of these guns included features to prevent this issue, but they were removed to fit in the longer cylinder. Too bad, it would be a cool gun for bp.  

I’ve been shooting one for the past two months in .45.  I load .45 S&W (Schofield) rounds in it, both smokeless and bp. I’m very fond of it.  Shoots to point of aim.  I’ve run as many as 50 rounds of bp through it with no binding, using a Big Lube bullet, on humid days.  Other days I get about 30-35 rounds through it before it starts to foul out. This is comparable to all my other Uberti top breaks. A couple of drops of moose milk on the arbor and it’s good to go again.  BP is possible with these guns with the right loads, especially for match shooting where you can tend to the guns between stages. 

Glad it is working for you.  I bought one of the very first Schofield’s when they came out and couldn’t get more than a cylinder of bp out of it.  But, I shot strong real BP loads.  I shot it with smokeless for a while, but since it would not shoot BP, I finally moved it on.  I have had original no. 3s and a 3rd model Russian that shot BP just fine.  

Doc, my rounds are a full case of Goex FFFg.  In my opinion, the Big Lube bullet is key.  I also have an early Uberti Schofield, a Navy Arms import, and it runs about the same with this load as do all my other Uberti top breaks.  They won't shoot all day like a Colt or an original Smith but it doesn't take much to keep them running, even for match shooting.  Most of mine will run longer with real black and a Big Lube than with the subs and a conventional, waxy lubed cast bullet

Big lube sounds like a good way to go.  

The Ideal 454190, 255gr bullet with BP lube will shoot equally well with smokeless and BP reloads as the Big Lube bullet with excellent groove obturation, no barrel leading and no bore lube starvation.  It's the only bullet I have used for years after I sold my Big Lube molds about 10 years ago

454190_250g.gif Is the regular standard .45 Colt's. (PB, 255 - TP is 190)

Archived