SASS Wire Forum

SOLD Commercial HUSQVARNA Rolling Block .50-70

SOLD This is a 100% purpose built sporter, not a cut down M67.  It has been reamed to .50-70 for ease and economy. It has the rounded trigger guard, HUSQVARNA stamped barrel and cheekpiece buttstock. Forestock held in place with wedge and escutcheon plates. Bore in the 31.5" barrel is VG and bluing is approximately 95% with some wear. Uses a .515 bullet. Since these guns were manufactured in this form until 1912, I have to ship this one to C&R or FFL. Sorry, no way to tell for sure when built and came to me as a C&R. Asking $650 SHIPPED. Email me at dbeard@mindspring.com for more photos.

I was asked why I reamed to .50-70.  The original 12.17x42R was a proprietary copper rimfire round developed for the Swedish M67 rolling block manufactured under license from Remington.  It was very similar to .50-70 dimensionally.  The military chambers were "generous" to deal with the issues of copper cases and black powder fouling.  In the 1880s, German companies began loading brass boxer primed cartridges that would be 12.7x44R.  Around this time, Husqvarna began manufacturing sporting rolling block rifles and the chambers were tighter for the new brass cartridges.  In this country, most of the loading data, reloading dies and brass are based on the M67 chambers, which are much more common on the market than the sporting rifles.  My Ch4D 12.7x44R dies will not size brass to fit these chambers and parent brass such as shortened .50 Alaskan, which works well in the M67 chambers, is too big as well.  Proper cases can be made from virgin .348 Win cases, but it takes more steps than the average shooter wants to go through.  So, by reaming to .50-70 I have a rifle that uses readily available cases and dies, and the same range of bullet diameters and sizes as would be used in an antique .50-70.

500 L Full.jpg

500 R Full.jpg

500 L Rec.jpg

500 R Rec.jpg

IMG_20201030_101740470.jpg

3 hours ago, Chertrock Chuck said:

Any brass or dies for these rifles?

TTT

Yes. CH4D makes the correct dies, but many people just fireform the cases to rifle and use .50-70 dies. Depending on individual rifles (chambers can vary by a few thousandths of an inch) brass can be formed from shortened .50 Alaskan and.50-70 or .348 Win., which takes several steps to blow out and trim. Several companies sell formed brass from .348 Win.

It's beyond my skillset. A local pawn shop here has an Egyptian model, forget the caliber but it was also an obsolete cartridge.

I'd like to find one in a more common caliber that can be easily sourced.

Chert Rock

3 hours ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

Can it be rechambered to 50-70 ?

Easily reamed. Very common. I just have avoided it. Uses same bullets as .50-70.

10 hours ago, Chertrock Chuck said:

It's beyond my skillset. A local pawn shop here has an Egyptian model, forget the caliber but it was also an obsolete cartridge.

Chert Rock

@Chertrock Chuck Prvi said they were gonna start running .43 Mauser again, might want to look into it. If not, send me their name!

On 10/17/2020 at 10:31 AM, Chertrock Chuck said:

Chert Rock

.43 Egyptian. Very expensive dies and iffy brass. But being a bottleneck, you could get by with neck sizing or paper patching. Easy Breezy.

Another option to shoot in these rifles is 56/50 Spencer brass and a 50/70 bullet sized down to about .512 to fit the Spencer brass. My dad and I have a couple of these rifles and we shoot both rounds through them, he makes the others from 50 Alaskan brass and they work also. The Spencer's of course don't have a big boom and smoke like the others but I was looking for something with less recoil due to an injury. 

BTT.

On 10/17/2020 at 9:59 PM, DeaconKC said:

@Chertrock Chuck Prvi said they were gonna start running .43 Mauser again, might want to look into it. If not, send me their name!

Cash Daddy pawn in Palatka Fl

The rifle was in pretty rough shape.

I asked what he wanted for it, he said “make an offer”.

I considered offering $50 just to use for a wall hanger but walked.

Once more, with feeling.

8 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Which one has the splintered forend?

Not splintered. Original cleaning rod channel filled with wood strip that has loostened some. That is the first one.

BTT.

Election Day Bump!

Archived