SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron 1878 Coach Gun

Tall Tale Todd

Does anyone have any experience with these guns? I've found one in stock but can't seem to find any reviews of the new made by Pakistan model. At least not one that isn't a couple years old. Or should I hold out for a CZ Hammer coach? Any advice or input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hey there my friend!  I can’t tell you about the Cimarron, but I did have a mule eared CZ.  It was a beautiful gun the biggest negative I had with it was the hammers were very hard to pull back.  I’ve heard others here say they had the same issue and CZ sent them new, lighter hammer springs.  I wish you would’ve mentioned it when you were here sold the gun for $800 about a month ago.

4 hours ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

Does anyone have any experience with these guns? I've found one in stock but can't seem to find any reviews of the new made by Pakistan model. At least not one that isn't a couple years old. Or should I hold out for a CZ Hammer coach? Any advice or input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Contact Boomstick Jay, he posted something about them on Facebook ,I think.

Randy

I have 2 of these shotguns,  they are great shotguns.  Very little slicking up needed to make these competitive. I honed the chambers and dehorned the hammers. Shot them for years before I sent them to a Smith to be slicked up. Still into these a lot less than pedersoli base price 

Rafe 

8 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Hey there my friend!  I can’t tell you about the Cimarron, but I did have a mule eared CZ.  It was a beautiful gun the biggest negative I had with it was the hammers were very hard to pull back.  I’ve heard others here say they had the same issue and CZ sent them new, lighter hammer springs.  I wish you would’ve mentioned it when you were here sold the gun for $800 about a month ago.

Tequila! Good to hear from you, brother. I'm still bragging to my pards at home about what a great time I had with the Bayou Bounty Hunters. I wish I'd asked too, that guy got a good deal on the CZ.

1 hour ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

I have 2 of these shotguns,  they are great shotguns.  Very little slicking up needed to make these competitive. I honed the chambers and dehorned the hammers. Shot them for years before I sent them to a Smith to be slicked up. Still into these a lot less than pedersoli base price 

Rafe 

Rafe, do you have the standard 1878 or the deluxe? I'm not sure I know the difference other than one's made in China and the other Pakistan. 

47 minutes ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

...Rafe, do you have the standard 1878 or the deluxe? I'm not sure I know the difference other than one's made in China and the other Pakistan. 

DA18782012 is the model number of the Pakistan '78 with 20" barrel;  The blue is nore polished and nicer wood than the Chinese gun, and I think it is checkered.  The Chinese (aka TTN) gun is model CG1878-20 or 1878CG (older model number, same gun) for the 20" model.  There has only been one shipment of the deluxe guns from Pakistan, so not many out there, but they have more on order.

I had one of the cimarron hammered doubles. I really liked it. nice tall ears, good weight, no issues breaking open fully or staying open. The only issue I had with it was it didnt like to shuck worth a lick until I polished the chambers. Didnt seem to matter what shells I used they didnt shuck well. The only other thing I didnt care for is that the break open lever is for a right handed shooter. I've since moved it on and i'll wait to find one for a lefty or one that opens either way. 

1 minute ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

They make those?! I'm also a lefty.

to the best of my knowledge (which isnt much) cimarron doesnt. I've had older hammer guns that the lever would go either way. I've also had a couple hammerless doubles that were made for leftys. 

1 hour ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

Tequila! Good to hear from you, brother. I'm still bragging to my pards at home about what a great time I had with the Bayou Bounty Hunters. I wish I'd asked too, that guy got a good deal on the CZ.

Rafe, do you have the standard 1878 or the deluxe? I'm not sure I know the difference other than one's made in China and the other Pakistan. 

I have the standard models, might not be as pretty but does the job! Kind of like me!

I tried to find Boomstick Jay’s comments on the Pakistani 1878, but there is just too much clutter on FB. As I recall, he likes them. Thinner wrist and lighter weight than the Chinese version. Needed some minor spring work. If you email Boomstick Arms I am sure he’d fill you in. The last email I had for them was boomstickarmsco@gmail.com

For what it’s worth, I did get to handle one at Winter Range 2020 and it does FEEL nice.

SH Bob,

Yep.  I consider the Pedersoli to be the best MADE Hammer Double available anywhere.  Some Pricy.  Heavy Main Springs.  Main Springs and the Top Lever Spring can use some work.  As an additional, I can find NO DIFFERENCE between the Pedersoli and the new Pietta.  The Pietta appears also to be made by Pedersoli.  I have both and Parts, Locks, etc., are interchangeable.  The machine work for both is exemplary.  The Pietta is a little plainer and EMF has it priced somewhat less than a Pedersoli.

I have no experience with the "New Kid" from Cimarron, made in Pakistan.  Can't comment on that gun. 

On 10/16/2020 at 3:22 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

SH Bob,

Yep.  I consider the Pedersoli to be the best MADE Hammer Double available anywhere.  Some Pricy.  Heavy Main Springs.  Main Springs and the Top Lever Spring can use some work.  As an additional, I can find NO DIFFERENCE between the Pedersoli and the new Pietta.  The Pietta appears also to be made by Pedersoli.  I have both and Parts, Locks, etc., are interchangeable.  The machine work for both is exemplary.  The Pietta is a little plainer and EMF has it priced somewhat less than a Pedersoli.

I have no experience with the "New Kid" from Cimarron, made in Pakistan.  Can't comment on that gun. 

Hello, 

New guy here.

I've been unable to find much user feedback on the Pietta 1878. I'm looking to get into a hammer coach and I'm debating between the CZ, the Pietta and the no logo Pedersoli. The Pedersoli is almost double the price of the CZ. The extra money isn't that big of a deal to me in the long run, but I also don't want to spend extra for no reason. There are no shops in my  area with any of these guns on the shelf currently, so I can't easily go get an idea of the quality and fit myself. 

If I might trouble you for an opinion on the matter... If the parts are the same between the Pietta and Pedersoli and both are built by Pedersoli, is it simply a matter of slightly better wood quality and finishing on the W.E. Model? Is the Pedersoli worth the extra money over the Pietta in your opinion? How about as compared to the CZ?

Kallus,

There aren't many Pietta 1878 replicas out there is CAS Land . . . yet.   I don't know as I would call the Wood and The Finishing "better" on the Pedersoli Pedersoli (that sounds weird) as I would "different."  I own both.  I really really like both.  I have to flip a coin when I go to the safe before a match.  The CZ is a really well made gun.  Perhaps not quite as nice as the Pedersoli but nice indeed.  Any of them can/will serve you well.  They ALL can use a little set-up for CAS.  They are all built close dimensions and start out a bit tight.  Flip a coin.  You'll come out all right.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Kallus,

There aren't many Pietta 1878 replicas out there is CAS Land . . . yet.   I don't know as I would call the Wood and The Finishing "better" on the Pedersoli Pedersoli (that sounds weird) as I would "different."  I own both.  I really really like both.  I have to flip a coin when I go to the safe before a match.  The CZ is a really well made gun.  Perhaps not quite as nice as the Pedersoli but nice indeed.  Any of them can/will serve you well.  They ALL can use a little set-up for CAS.  They are all built close dimensions and start out a bit tight.  Flip a coin.  You'll come out all right.

Looking at the picture of the Pietta '78 on EMF website, it looks like the receiver is blued.  I think the Pedersoli branded gun is case colored, isn't it?  Perhaps that is part of the price difference.

;)  Abilene are correct

ALL of the Pedersoli '78 replicas I have seen had CCH Receivers.  The gun is normally name engraved with "Wyatt Earp."  It can be ordered sans the W.E. engraving provided you can wait near forever.

The Same same gun from Pietta has a Blue receiver.  Different Wood.  The Pietta is marked for "Pietta" and has no Pedersoli markings.  The guns are, however, identical.  My Pietta came from the "Show Circuit" and is a "One Off" from Pietta.  It has a Nickel Receiver.  I also believe the barrels are "Black Chrome" as opposed to Blue and are chrome lined.

10 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

...ALL of the Pedersoli '78 replicas I have seen had CCH Receivers.  The gun is normally name engraved with "Wyatt Earp."  It can be ordered sans the W.E. engraving provided you can wait near forever....

Cimarron also carries the Pedersoli shotgun.  Of course, they don't want to name it the same thing as Taylors so they call it the "Doc Holiday" (and no, none in stock).

Colorado Coffinmaker and Slow Hand Bob...  I have the Pedersoli coach gun - its beautifully made and I love it. I lightened the break-open spring so gun opens easily with light push of my thumb, and I lightened both hammer springs so I can cock both hammers at the same time with my right thumb as I swing the shotgun forward to reload it. I also remade the main stock (and fore stock)  so it has about 4°-5° better drop on the butt of the stock resulting in being able to bring the action up closer to eye level with ease. Upper photo is original shotgun, lower photo is the result of my efforts.

RR

Coach comparison 3 - small.jpg

Archived