SASS Wire Forum

Unfortunately, This Is Becoming More Common

Subdeacon Joe

31 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

I'm missing the point somehow.

The point of the subject line is that all too often women service members and vets are suffering trauma.

The point of the cartoon is that, in general, society sees a woman waiting in a VA facility waiting room is waiting for her husband.  Many never consider that it might be the lady who is the veteran.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

SDJ, I’m curious how it’s unfortunate that more women are serving, and needing VA care. 
Or maybe I’m confused. 

I'm not against women serving. I am making the assumption that the lady vet has some service, likely combat, related trauma.  Which I find unfortunate.  Also unfortunate is the all too common assumption that the woman is not the vet.

I likely could have found a better subject line for this thread.

3 hours ago, Chuck Steak said:

I'm disappointed that so many people are assuming gender.

...... I like to assume ......... I like gender ............ not real fond of assuming genderlessness ...... :unsure:

For the last 17 months, I have been at the VA for 2 appointments a day, twice a week.

23 surgeries on my face and back of my head with several followups for each.

One major surgery from my shoulder across to center of my neck and up to just below my ear.

And this past week I was at the eye clinic for my last follow up on surgery to both eyes.

(good to go. No glasses after 50 years)

I have spent a lot of time in waiting areas waiting my turn. (always showed up early)

I like so many others have heard about women in the military but I can not say I was ready to see so many going through the various units at the VA.

The units I visited where mostly surgical.

God bless these women who have served and the the doctors taking care of all of us.

Thank You.

---------------------

Something to remember.

Our military is made up of volunteers.

There's a woman at my facility who is a combat veteran.  She brings her PTSD companion Husky to work with her every day.  I don't work directly with her but I've seen them on campus.

Bless her for all she went through.  The couple of times I've seen her love on that pup, I'm sure it brings her lots of joy and relief.

5 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

For the last 17 months, I have been at the VA for 2 appointments a day, twice a week.

23 surgeries on my face and back of my head with several followups for each.

One major surgery from my shoulder across to center of my neck and up to just below my ear.

And this past week I was at the eye clinic for my last follow up on surgery to both eyes.

(good to go. No glasses after 50 years)

I have spent a lot of time in waiting areas waiting my turn. (always showed up early)

I like so many others have heard about women in the military but I can not say I was ready to see so many going through the various units at the VA.

The units I visited where mostly surgical.

God bless these women who have served and the the doctors taking care of all of us.

Thank You.

---------------------

Something to remember.

Our military is made up of volunteers.

Amen to your thanks to the Almighty.  I love my VA (hated the disasterous one in Phoenix) for all the help they have been to me.

When we went to an all volunteer military we had to open it up to women.

The ladies whom i have served with have proved themselves to be capable and competent and are a really worthwhile addition to our armed forces.

In combat they have faced the same dangers that men have and they have suffered the same traumas, both physical and mental.

And as the cartoon points out, their service is often not recognized.

Duffield

You are all assuming that this is a woman. She may have been assigned the female gender at birth, but she could self-identify as a cross-dressing man.

Archived