SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Sheriff 44WCF age question?

Warden Callaway

Sawmill Mary fell to temptation yesterday and bought a Uberti Sheriff 44WCF..

682135035_UbertiSheriff44WCFOct2020.jpg.0511c4d330aa182f9d365af94c72214d.jpg

Pretty little gun.  New but definitely old stock.  The proof marks are too muddled to make out the date code. It's definitely older than the two-notch safety system.  It has the pivot block safety in the hammer and one notch base pin.

Anyone know when they stopped using the pivot block safety and go to the two-notch base pin safety? 

I've never seen an UBERTI with the two notch base pin safety.   I've only ever seen it in guns made by others.  Armi San Marco is one.  

Then again, all of my clones were acquired on the used market, so I am not sure how old they all are.

There's a bunch strange safeties out there.   It boggles the mind how much effort has been put into solving a problem that does not exist.   That being said, I actually find the above pictured system to make a modicum of sense.  It actually makes the "safety notch" on a four click hammer, well, safe to use.

BTW, Sheriff's models are cool.

I believe All pistols for import must have a safety. That's why milsurp Tokarevs got that dumb thumb safety added by Century 

Warden, the "pivot block safety", which has also been called a hammer-block safety, has been on every standard Uberti Cattleman for a long time, until the current Cattleman II came out.  Those guns also had the two-position base pin. 

That 3" ejectorless Sheriff model has to be at least 20 years old.  Dixie actually carries one now, but it is on the Pre-War frame.

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

CattlemanBasePins_zps178ab863.jpg.9237ba1868350600c541c92bf98aa22b.jpg

Factory Uberti two notch base pin above a pair I made to replace them.

Ah, so they DO exist!   

Interestingly enough, I found that pin from my Third Gen Colts fit just fine in all of my clones, no matter who made them.   I have considered replacing them.

On my ASM i ground the Pins off , after cleaning the Revolvers i would put the pin in too far.

When i went to fire them . They were on the safety notch. Took once or twice to do that.

Pushed pin in to safety notch. Marked them with  cut them down rounded the ends off. 

No more problems.

I bought some non two-notched base pins, and replaced all the ones I had on my Uberti clones.  

I am using the two notched base pins as trot-line weights.

I will do the same if I ever accidently buy a "type II" Uberti Cattleman, with the retractable firing pin hammer.

But...that's just me. Some Pards may like 'em, and have no problems with them....and that's fine.

I must say, I do not like what they did to the Bisley. Glad I bought one twelve years ago. 

W.K.     

10 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Sawmill Mary fell to temptation yesterday and bought a Uberti Sheriff 44WCF..

682135035_UbertiSheriff44WCFOct2020.jpg.0511c4d330aa182f9d365af94c72214d.jpg

Pretty little gun.  New but definitely old stock.  The proof marks are too muddled to make out the date code. It's definitely older than the two-notch safety system.  It has the pivot block safety in the hammer and one notch base pin.

Anyone know when they stopped using the pivot block safety and go to the two-notch base pin safety? 

Those hammer block style Uberti's were also known as the "D" cam guns. They started changing over to the two position base pins in the early 2000's.  During the first few years of the transition you would see the hammer block style hammers even on some of the two position base pin guns. But, the hammer block didn't function and they had full cams. I think they were trying to use up the old parts

This one has a "Colt-style" (no "D-cam") hammer and the two-notch base pin. Came with both types of base pin screw.
Made in 2002 (45 Colt)
(after-market grips)

Uberti Sheriff .45.jpg

Honestly,  I've not pulled the base pin.  It may be double notched and cut back. The gunshop owner is also a cowboy action shooter. I'll have to see if the knurled screw is in the box.

Sawmill Mary's gun so I have limited access to it. Like when she's asleep or out. :ph34r:

Update: 

It has a one notch base pin.   I looked for the kneeled screw in the box and didn't find it. 

I was looking for the date code on the barrel.  But as I was handling it,  I noticed a group of stamps on the right side of the frame.  And there it was.  First I took it a 8M but that didn't make sense with the data code chart.  But BM does. Birth year 1999. 

474095484_UbertiSheriffdatecodeOct2020.jpg.f87521a3eb5dc04f1ee1b22cc2db2083.jpg

They sure beat it up.  Two proof marks on the barrel.  

I think the pin retaining screw was changed from one size thread to another at one time.  Does anyone know the thread sizes and what one this one may be?

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I don't know the base pin screw size, but there were two different sizes.  The older, smaller screw is hard to find.

This on VTI Parts tells the new size but not the old size.  I expect it to be metric.  

Uberti Base Pin Screw for Old Model Frame - Older Size DISCONTINUED (1873 SA) PRE -2001 These are now Out Of Stock. To use the new one which is OD .159" For guns produced after 2001 - (to upgrade to the new screw, 400354/new which is 8/36 thread, use #29 Cobalt Drill, slowly drill, with tap oil)

I can figure it out as there is a screw in it. But thought I'd ask.

Why I ask,  I can make a knurled screw from a screw made to hold globes on light fixtures.  The hardware store has many to choose from. 

On 10/15/2020 at 11:17 AM, Warden Callaway said:

I'm thinking the two notch base pin would be pretty useless on a black powder frame gun. :P

No, it served is purpose.  It got it in the country without all the stupid mods to the gun we see today.  You then bought a standard pin and threw the two notch pin away so you could shoot it as Colt intended!

At one point I owned the Uberti sherifs model that Mike Venterino got to write up when they were new,  it was a good gun.  One of my fondest memories in CAS was using it on a stage where you shot two targets across a poker table before you ran on to complete the rest of the stage.  This was back before sheriffs models were banned as pocket pistols and at a non sass affiliated club (back when the sport was young).  My compressed load of 3f bp put out a big enough ball of flame that it lit the paper targets on fire!  They just burned while I shot the rest of the stage.  Good fun!

Archived