SASS Wire Forum

A review of Amazon’s “Prime Days”

Amazon has warehouses around the country where it stores high demand things so that less time is required to get it to customers.

to me “Prime Days” looked like an attempt to lower inventory because “new and improved” is just around the corner.

I will say this....Prime pays for itself pretty rapidly especially if factoring in gas prices for trips.  I’m near Seattle, so I can order a lot of things and get the next day, great selection and best price shopping.  Plus you get movie channels included and some other benefits.

I remember talking to a coworker who didn’t have Prime and I was in disbelief.  I asked her how she managed and she replied “I just plan ahead”.....

The closest major metropolitan area is an hour and a half away.  Prime has made our lives easier because we can get what we need, usually in a couple of days.

I'm into woodturning and a trip to a store that sells the tools I "need" is an hour each way.  I can order them from Amazon and have them delivered in two days with free shipping.  The prices are usually cheaper or at least the same as the retail store.  I understand the argument of shopping local to keep the the little guy in business, but I don't consider an hour drive to be local.  I save a lot of time and gas by shopping Amazon.  The wife also likes the movies.

Prime is $10 a month and I get the following:  generally 2 day delivery, free returns on Amazon sold products, clothes I like that actually fit me, access to obscure books on subjects I am interested in and can't find at retail bookstores, bulk spices for cooking at a reasonable price per ounce, not having to go to a store or mall and not having to deal with people.

While I agree keeping the local store in business, there is a line between a reasonable mark up to cover rent & salaries and price gouging.  Barnes & Noble lost me as a customer when I bought a book that cost twice as much as it was on Amazon.  The same applies to the LGS, don't charge $22 a box of ammo for something I can find for $12 a box online.  I think most high volume shooters buy in bulk over the internet, either ammo by the case or reloading components in bulk.

My prediction for the future is that online shopping will replace most retail stores.  Food stores, big box stores, niche retail stores & gun stores will survive, but may see a reduction in the number of stores.

Archived