SASS Wire Forum

I Wish I Could Shoot as Good as...

I could never be  that good. No matter how much I practiced.

1 hour ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

If you had a range like that just outside you back door, and you shot as much as he did, you could be just as good! :)

I don't think I can ever be that good.  That old fart with the hour glass has seen to that.  My mind says "I can do that".  My body says "Oh come on, get real".  :o

Now, I love shooting, but I also have other hobbies. The amount of time it would take me to get that good would take away from other things I like to do. It would also take all my money as I don’t have sponsors sending me ammo, guns, targets and other stuff. 

Also, I have no deadlines. If I want to go shoot, I go shoot. If I don’t, I have no obligation whatsoever to do so. If I do go shooting and have a bad day I don’t have to go back again and start over or do retakes, remakes or correct mistakes. 

I am a pretty good shot. I may never be a great shot, a really fast shot or worthy of people praising me, but shooting is not my job and it comes with no obligations whatsoever. I like it like that. 

A little story:

When I lived in NC and Lake Norman was my playground I shopped at Bass Pro A LOT. I met a woman there that was a Pro Bass Fisherwoman. She was very nice and had a wealth of knowledge. 
One day I expressed to her that I envied her and her husband because they had such a wonderful job. Their passion had become their jobs. 
She then explained to me all the various hassles and obligations that her “hobby” turned into when it became her “job”. I will not bore you with them here, but she had come to hate her job which used to be her passion. 
I learned a very big lesson from her. 

Enjoy your shooting hobby friends. Don’t make it your burden. 

Thanks for posting this Slim. You just reminded me to have some fun in what I do for fun. :)

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

She then explained to me all the various hassles and obligations that her “hobby” turned into when it became her “job”.

I love building furniture as a hobby, and took a few commissions for custom pieces. The fun left right away when money and deadlines got involved. 

But to the OP’s point, I greatly admire the top shooters in our sport, but wouldn’t enjoy the time or commitment to get there. 

10 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

...Hickok45 with a pistol. Just watched an episode where he shot rapid fire double action with a S&W 60. 4 of 5 rounds in a 3” group. I don’t care who you are or what you think of him, but dang he’s good. 

Not to take anything away from him but if you shot as much as he did you'd probably be that good too! The guy probably shoots 50k rounds a year at the least!;)

When your range is in your front yard and you get all the ammunition that you can shoot free you get pretty darn good especially if it’s your living. He seems like a nice guy but I gave up waiting his videos. They are way too long and way to juvenile I’m not one of his middle school students 

13 hours ago, DocWard said:

Lassiter... Deuce Stevens... Hickock45... Jerry Miculek... I could go on and on...

Don't forget Plinkster22. He's made some trick shots that literally caused my jaw to drop.

As for Hickok45, both he and his son John are tall enough that they could be mistaken for a Sasquatch roaming the woods. I've gauged Hickok's height relative to that shooting table of his, and if I were standing there I'd barely even be able to see over it. :unsure:

13 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

If you had a range like that just outside you back door, and you shot as much as he did, you could be just as good! :)

You have never seen my scorecard, have you Dutch.  :lol:

24 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

The trouble I face is that all of my bullets go through the same hole, so people naturally assume I only had one hit. Life is hard. :lol:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. 

One shot Okie Sawbones. :lol:

4 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Don't forget Plinkster22. He's made some trick shots that literally caused my jaw to drop.

As for Hickok45, both he and his son John are tall enough that they could be mistaken for a Sasquatch roaming the woods. I've gauged Hickok's height relative to that shooting table of his, and if I were standing there I'd barely even be able to see over it. :unsure:

Greg is 6’8 his son is 6’10 and Dave is only a paltry 6’6

20201015_195753.jpg

Gene Autry.  I remember an episode of the TV show where he shot the hat off a bad guy, who dropped like a rock.  Gene said something along the lines of, "He'll be OK.  I only creased his skull."

I wish I could shoot as good as Walter Rogers, a Fish and Game officer in New Mexico. Back in the 50's I saw him shoot the heads off of 3 coiled rattlers faster than I could even aim at one. BAM, BAM, BAM, and 3 rattlers were headless. That man could shoot his Colt SA.

32 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I wish I could shoot good like them too.  But I don't wanna practice as much as any of them.  Too much like work. 

Well if you could get all the free ammo you wanted from your sponsors as well I'm sure you'd be up to the challenge.

2 hours ago, Doc X said:

Age and arthritis, the things that wear on a fellow.  I ain't greedy, I'd just like to be able to shoot and move like I did 30 years ago.

Yep me too!

At 69, I can't complain about any lack of speed.   But, I sure would like to have my eye sight I had 20-30 years ago.

If I could dream to shoot like someone else, it would probably be someone like Jerry Miculek and Cisco, of which I do not

know his real name.

..........Widder

Archived