SASS Wire Forum

A Good Tactical Flash Light?

Marauder SASS #13056

I REALLY like the Streetlight brand.    Check out their website for some good info.

They have a new one called the Stinger 2020.

Plus, they have some great lights that attach to pistol picatinny rails.

..........Widder

Surefire is expensive but tough as nails. Had one survive daily use and abuse as a field parole agent. Streamlights TLR series is the standard for pistol mounted lights.

i have two streamlight TL2 - older models that ive been using for the last 15 years , one is on the original battery's because its my backup - think i need to get a new set for backup of those old cells , 

Streamlight is very good.

That being said I have friends who spent several tours in Iraq and Afghanistan using Surefires who swear by them. Combat proven means something.

Do you NEED a tactical flashlight? Or just a good one?

For 20 bucks I get the Bushnell TRKR T150L. It's 3 function white red and blood tracker runs off 1 aa battery, is waterproof, shockproof, has a belt hook and usually lasts me more than a year of daily hard use.

Is it a bazillion lumen strobe dohickey? No but they didn't paint a good flashlight black add tactical to the name and quadruple the price.

If you are going on patrol ask your buddies or use issued gear. If your going to buy bread get a decent light you WILL carry as part of your edc. 

Gun gear is like fishing gear most lures catch more fishermen than fish.

Texas Joker poised a good question and something to consider.

Marauder, its possible to 'over lumen', or have a light with too much lumen output.   Here's an example:

I have a few Streamlight flashlights.   A couple of 1000 lumen lights and one of their 3200 Lumen lights.  Now that little baby will light

up the night.   And I have one of their TLR handgun lights with 800 Lumen.

Here's the 'catch 22' situation with 'over lumen'.    In my house at night, its reasonably dark.  We have a couple night lights but nothing

to keep inside the house lit up.   But when I turn on my TLR with its 800 lumens, its reflection off our walls is blinding..... TO ME.

Waking up at night and shining that TLR will not only blind the person being aimed at but also the person shining the light.

Its a very good 'white' light and in my opinion, 500 lumens would be a better light for such usage than 800 or 1000 lumens, 

especially when the light is a good 'white' light.

Let us know what you find.

..........Widder

By a tactical do you mean weapon mounted or handheld?

I've got some good weapon lights I like includinga  Surefire and a couple of Olights for my guns.  I don't have super high lumens on those because of reasons already mentioned - don't blind yourself in the house.

Bu I wanted to add another higher lumen (1000 or more) hand held for when I need to either reach out or almost blind an opponent.

On 10/15/2020 at 1:03 PM, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

I've got some good weapon lights I like includinga  Surefire and a couple of Olights for my guns.  I don't have super high lumens on those because of reasons already mentioned - don't blind yourself in the house.

Bu I wanted to add another higher lumen (1000 or more) hand held for when I need to either reach out or almost blind an opponent.

Now we can talk real meat.

Rated at approx 3200 Lumens:  Streamlight ProTac HL5 -X.    I own one and REALLY love its light output and beam projection.

Rated at appox 2000 Lumens:   Streamlight Stinger 2020.  This is NEW on the market and I have ordered one but haven't got it yet.

Rated at appox 1000 Lumens:  Streamlight Pro Tac HL3.   I own one of these also and although considered a compact style light

(about 8" long and 1.25" wide) it sure puts out a dandy light force, worthy of serious considerations.

I don't own a Surefire but their reputation speaks for itself.

Good luck.

..........Widder

I have purchased 4 different Olight lights for weapons lights, pocket lights and mini flashlights. So far I am very happy with these lights.  I have a 550 lumen Baton 2 light tat I beat the heck out of and it works just fine. Their prices are very reasonable on Amazon and on their website.

https://www.olightstore.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw5p_8BRBUEiwAPpJO60YiJvqW94S9R5KHVhsIEHg1nVKxAmhKGjw_-qRD9bv4QdudfEzJcBoCv_EQAvD_BwE

I put an Olight S1A Baton in my pocket every morning. I wanted a bright, compact, single AA battery light, and this one had great reviews. It's been discontinued and replaced, but I see no need to buy another one just yet.

6 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I put an Olight S1A Baton in my pocket every morning. I wanted a bright, compact, single AA battery light, and this one had great reviews. It's been discontinued and replaced, but I see no need to buy another one just yet.

I carry the little Olight EOS mini light that takes one AAA battery everyday on my house key ring. I have carried  it for nearly  2  years and it has never let me down.

The main thing is it has never turned itself on or  disassembled itself in my pocket like the mini Streamlights and Pelican lights have that I have carried.

Agreeing with Smokin Gator.

My  "back yard" (left) flashlight's brightness and strobe settings can be frustrating under no stress.

My "bedside" (right) flashlight is strictly ON/OFF for dummy under pressure situations.

20201016_075639_001.jpg

22 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

Agreeing with Smokin Gator.

My  "back yard" (left) flashlight's brightness and strobe settings can be frustrating under no stress.

My "bedside" (right) flashlight is strictly ON/OFF for dummy under pressure situations.

I hate lights with multiple settings. The ones I have are relegated to inane duties like for if the power goes off.

Sure Fire, I have 3 of them, the first one I bought was a 6Z combat light in 1999, A couple years ago it started blowing bulbs as soon as I turned it on so I called SureFire, They said send it in and it would be fixed under warranty. When I got it back they included new batteries and 2 replacement bulbs with it. It is my EDC light for 20 + years. The other 2 are the 6P version that I keep by my bed and computer desk.

Howdy,

Just a note. I looked around and found nice flashlights that run

on one AA battery. They are inexpensive and the beam focus which

comes in handy.

These make more light than most flashlights did a few years back.

The single AAA lights from streamlight and others are very handy.

And at the dollar store 4 AAA alkalines go for one dollar.

Best

CR

Comment and QUESTION:

there are MANY good flashlights that function well with AA and AAA batteries, etc.

And for their intended usages, they can't be beat.   But many of those type flashlights seem to be limited to

50 to 250 Lumens.  Sometimes, there are those with a little more power ratings.

BUT..... are these flashlights really considered a 'Tactical' type flashlight?

Wouldn't a 'Tactical' flashlight have a rating of 500+ Lumens?

I'm just curious as to what some folks would consider 'Tactical' because that is what Marauder is asking about.

..........Widder

This one is my EDC, very light and small overall -Olight I3T takes one triple AAA battery with tail switch 180 lumens high and 5 lumens low - you click it once for low and second click turns it on high.  Not a tactical flashlight in my opinion as you have to click it twice to get to high setting everytime.      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FKJDH93/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2LRZV29F1JQ87&psc=1

I have one similar to this though the one I have is a discontinued brand - this one has a low battery light which is nice. I consider this a tactical light, you click the tail cap and it turns on with the last setting you had it on. So if you turned it off on high beam when you click the tail switch it comes right back on in high beam. Also you don't have to click through the settings using the off on tail cap it has a side button that allows you to adjust the setting seperately so you don't have to mess with it in a situation unless you want to do so. The tail cap turns it off and on and you can depress the tail cap without fully clicking it and you have a momentary on. I much prefer a seperate switch for settings and like the end cap tail switch for off and on, makes things simpler to operate. One switch off and on - a tail switch. One switch to adjust the power on the side. Takes an 18650 battery - comes with one and a charger for it. I would be sure to get an extra battery or two (I have a bunch of 18650 already). And if it was my tactical flashlight I would carry an extra charges battery on me. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FKJDH93/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2LRZV29F1JQ87&psc=1

On 10/15/2020 at 12:03 PM, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

To blind an opponent with a rugged flashlight, hit them in the temple area with a 6d Maglite.  They have great reach, can be had with LED and a simple programmable click button.

For an intense compact light that has to work, Surefire.   

Archived