SASS Wire Forum

Less Is More - How Do Other CC Do It?

Cholla

I am thinking about getting a new set of holsters based on what I have learned since starting three years ago. I find cross-draw and right strong holsters easiest to eliminate switching hands. And, I don't like wearing a shotgun belt. My thinking would be to get a new set of holsters with no loops on the belt, turn the buckle to the back and put a 8-shell shotgun slide with three .45 loops between the two holsters. Seems like it should work and eliminate some weight. Am I missing something?

I also see mention of lined holsters, like those offered currently in the classifieds. When I see that I think of some sort of leather lining. I know holsters can be lined with metal or plastic. Is the metal or plastic covered with leather to prevent gun damage?

And I keep looking at gunfighter grips. I have Ruger Bisleys so I don't seem to have control issues so I don't know if I need Gunfighter grips.

Comments?

Cholla, I usually shoot with a crossdraw in front of my left hip.  I am fairly slender, and find that the butt of the offhand gun gets in the way of my left hand grabbing shells from a slide on the gunbelt.  YMMV.   So I wear a canvas shotshell belt, and even on that I leave six empty loops over the crossdraw.  I really would like to be able to load from the gunbelt because the shotshell belt gets really hot in summer and taking it on/off every stage is a hassle.

I tried a single belt for a little bit and my experience was the same as Abilene's.  Just not enough room.  I had a 6 shotgun shell slide that worked a little better, but 6 shells just sometimes isn't enough for some stages. 

Try switching hands for a while, using 2 strong side holsters. I think you will find it is not a problem at all, unless you have some disability like arthritis or something similar.  I thought the same thing when I switched from Crossdraw 10 years ago, but it worked out fine.

I'm working between switching hands and shooting with either hand, and think shooting with either hand will be a better result. No cross draw for me at this time. Ask me again in a couple years or three.

I feel the attraction of cross draw, a simple pivot to avoid the 170 and stay with my strong hand for both revolvers, but in the long term I think I am better off using either hand reasonably well.

Edit to add: I am a serious beginner and newcomer to this sport, I do have more experience in other firearms competitions. Being able to shoot off-hand is important in many of those other sports.

thats what i migrated to in simplifying [lightening] my setup , im slight as well and it spreads my strong sides a bit more than i like but i have both a double strong side and a cross draw set for both my 38s and 45s so i can go with what im feeling at the shoot ,  i just cant wear the double belt - but i have it if i need it , 

we all accumulate a lot over the years , i think its a good idea to have backup options for everything , but by all means set up you go to as you want it ....you can always alter it down the road or fall back on leather you know works even if uncomfortable ,  that includes the guns as well , i know most folks would lend you what is needed but there is a comfort in the familiar feel of your retired/backups that can make a difference in your piece of mind , 

I cant help you with a cross draw situation. I've always shot left hand left gun, right hand right gun and progressed to gunfighter. However you might find that it'll save you a few pennies if you order a shotgun belt with 8 shell holders and wear your holsters on that vs buying a gunbelt and a shot shell slide. I recently switched from a slide to a shotgun belt. I didnt think i'd like it and I dont really enjoy wearing it but it has helped a lot with loading my shotgun. I havent dropped any more shells because I hit my belly on the way out with the shells since I started using it :lol: YMMV

I shoot double strong side with a double rifle slide on each side and a 10 shot shotgun slide in the middle. If I used the same set up with a cross draw rig, I think the cross draw would be further around my side then I would care for, making the turning to pull that pistol and re-holster it very exaggerated.

Years ago I shot a cross draw with the shotgun slide on my left, then the holsters, then the reloads. It worked ok. 

I've always used a single belt, like you I dislike a shotgun belt. Going to double strong side was the best move I ever made.

Tully

17 hours ago, Cholla said:

I am thinking about getting a new set of holsters based on what I have learned since starting three years ago. I find cross-draw and right strong holsters easiest to eliminate switching hands. And, I don't like wearing a shotgun belt. My thinking would be to get a new set of holsters with no loops on the belt, turn the buckle to the back and put a 8-shell shotgun slide with three .45 loops between the two holsters. Seems like it should work and eliminate some weight. Am I missing something?

I also see mention of lined holsters, like those offered currently in the classifieds. When I see that I think of some sort of leather lining. I know holsters can be lined with metal or plastic. Is the metal or plastic covered with leather to prevent gun damage?

And I keep looking at gunfighter grips. I have Ruger Bisleys so I don't seem to have control issues so I don't know if I need Gunfighter grips.

Comments?

I don’t care for crossdraw and prefer to shoot one gun with each hand but I think it’s a matter of preference. I shoot Ruger Bisleys as well and really like the Eagle Checkered Gunfighter grips. 

Randy

I experimented with crossdraw early on, then had a rig made with double strong side holsters, worn backward and 5 double sg loops. The pair on the far left could be eliminated for a crossdraw holster. I tried shooting duelist for over a year and the rig worked fine for that, just wrestled with the hammers.  I dont like a separate sg belt.

Imis

Just spitballing, and I guess a leather craftsman would be able to say if it could even be made.  But, what about a double stack SG slide with 4 shells on each row.  The top row would be vertical and the lower row angled out enough so they’d be easy to grab and still not fall out when moving, maybe 30 degrees or so.  You’d get 8 shells in the space of 4.  

Cholla, lined holster means that instead of the rough(flesh) side of the leather coming in contact with the gun, a second piece of thinner, usually pig or calf leather is sewn and glued to the heavy leather flesh side, that way you have a smooth hide side outside and inside.
Some holster makers do use thin metal between the layers of leather for shaping, some use kydex, some even leave the kydex exposed on the interior. That is not usually seen in SASS holsters.
Some holster makers use only water and leather to mold around the gun tightly, some just use the "bucket" approach, where the gun is very loose in the holster, like its sitting in a "bucket"

40 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Just spitballing, and I guess a leather craftsman would be able to say if it could even be made.  But, what about a double stack SG slide with 4 shells on each row.  The top row would be vertical and the lower row angled out enough so they’d be easy to grab and still not fall out when moving, maybe 30 degrees or so.  You’d get 8 shells in the space of 4.  

Shotgun Ammo loops must conform to the shooters contour (i.e., not tilt out from the belt).

SHB p.4

Most of us have found the benefit of a separate shotgun belt.  You can load more shells for when needed and it is at a slightly better location on the body.  Unless you are quite large, there just isn't enough real estate for a cross-draw, shotguns shells and the strong side pistol - as has been mentioned.  (The cross-draw definitely works best if it set slightly forward from where you would use a "weak side" straight holster.  You want it to set where you would naturally and easily get to the pistol grip.)

I've got a collection of holsters. The only ones that held up for me have either metal or kydex lining.  That allows for a slightly snug fit so I never have to worry about my pistols falling out.  I watched too many shooters start moving and saw their pistols start bouncing and some eventually jumped out!

Some other types worked but when I stored them to go home, there was enough pressure that they collapsed - never to be fully satisfying again.  An expensive mistake.  I have never had that happen in over 10 years with my metal lined ones. )

So go to some matches, shop around with the shooters and see what they use and ask why.

Archived