SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 39 - Marlin 39A question

The recent topics about Marlin 39A's have gotten me thinking.  (lots of smoke, a bit of sputtering before it really caught)

I have a Marlin 39 that used to belong to my grandfather.  He died sometime late '40's - early '50's before I was born.  My question(s) is:  When did it change from a model 39 to a model 39A?  What was changed from the 39 to the 39A?  I've noticed from the pictures of the 39A's posted on the SASS wire that the tube magazine opens differently, but other than that I don't know of any differences.

Also, I recall somebody some time back posted a link to a website that showed dates of manufacture by serial number.  If anyone has that link handy I'd appreciate it if you'd share it here.

Thanks,

Angus

Best as I can tell they came out with the 39a in 1948.

I found three or four serial number lists but they all start with the 39a. They say that nothing was made during the war years, so the 39 would have stopped production in 1941.

TRY Google    Marlin Serial Numbers = Dates of Manufacture

https://www.gunvalueboard.com/marlin-serial-numbers-dates-of-manufacture-1664.html     

Looks like the web site isn't working. I will send you a pm

Try Marlin Owners. com

There's a pretty comprehensive history on Wiki.

It seems the 39 was produced from 1921 - 1939, the 39-A in 1939, then becoming the 39A in 1954, then Golden 39A in 1983.

One amusing passage:  "On March 10, 1893 Annie Oakley used a Model 1891 to put 25 shots through one jagged hole in 27 seconds at a distance of 36 feet (12 yds or 11 m) using 22 short cartridges. On the same day she also produced another jagged one-hole group through the center of an Ace of Hearts playing card, while shooting off-hand."  :)

Here's another place to find serial number dates:  http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1096  or https://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php

Mine's 1955 vintage.  

Some former owner removed the sights in favor of a rusty ol' Weaver B4 scope.  Been on the lookout for a set of sights for years...

20201014_113038.thumb.jpg.f55c0d717d4b97d70442f58deb1a1d45.jpg

Near as I can tell from the Marlin Owners site, mine was manufactured sometime 1925-1930 when the "S" prefix was used in the serial number.  More precise info is not available for Marlins manufactured before WW II.

I also found out they only recommend standard velocity ammunition be used in the older model 39's due to the bolt design.  The bolt was redesigned in the early '30's when they started using an "HS" prefix.  I guess I'll have to start paying attention to the ammo I feed it, now.  I think most of the .22 ammo I have is labeled as "hyper-velocity".

Thanks,

Angus

553600110_ScanA.thumb.jpg.8f5884e7e53f114b3df2290cd29814e2.jpgScanB.thumb.jpg.5c0d7e5784187e6280376283562e0e39.jpg

2 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Near as I can tell from the Marlin Owners site, mine was manufactured sometime 1925-1930 when the "S" prefix was used in the serial number.  More precise info is not available for Marlins manufactured before WW II.

I also found out they only recommend standard velocity ammunition be used in the older model 39's due to the bolt design.  The bolt was redesigned in the early '30's when they started using an "HS" prefix.  I guess I'll have to start paying attention to the ammo I feed it, now.  I think most of the .22 ammo I have is labeled as "hyper-velocity".

Thanks,

Angus

Angus, I found a list that shows the S prefix was used in 1959 serial numbers. 

25 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

553600110_ScanA.thumb.jpg.8f5884e7e53f114b3df2290cd29814e2.jpgScanB.thumb.jpg.5c0d7e5784187e6280376283562e0e39.jpg

Angus, I found a list that shows the S prefix was used in 1959 serial numbers. 

Thanks, BMC.  That is correct, however, my rifle is an older Model 39, not a Model 39A.  Also ruled out as 1959 vintage because my grandfather died several years before.

One difference between the 39 and 39A was the method to load the magazine.  On the Model 39 you push two opposing buttons on the muzzle end of the magazine releasing the outer magazine tube.  Then slide the outer magazine tube up until the buttons pop in to holes at the bottom of the magazine tube holding it up and keeping the magazine spring compressed.  The cartridges are loaded into an interior tube similar to other tube fed .22 rifles.  Once loaded, you again push in the two buttons releasing the outer magazine tube and pushing it back down into the forearm until the buttons pop back into place at the top of the tube.  I always found this interesting and have never seen another rifle with a similarly designed magazine.

On the Model 39A you push a release at the top of the magazine and pull out an interior sleeve (usually brass) that contains the magazine spring and follower. That sleeve can usually be completely removed from the magazine.  After loading the magazine you push the interior sleeve back down compressing the magazine spring until the tube re-latches in place.

That's just a bit of trivia that I find interesting.  I do not know what other differences there are between the 39 and 39A.  Mine also has an octagonal barrel, but I don't know if that is exclusive to the 39 or if it is also offered in the 39A.

SUUUPER rifle.  If I could "take it with me" I would.

Angus

You are correct about the feel of the rifle. Mine is the 39  AS, which I understand is the addition of the cross bolt safety to the AS. 

The safety gives a lot of folks heartburn, but it doesn't bother me. My shooting skills do not require a lot of fast. So I guess I can move my finger for a little more safety. 

Just an aside question, have you ever had the opportunity to shoot over at Sparta. I understand the State of Illinois closed it down? 

4 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Just an aside question, have you ever had the opportunity to shoot over at Sparta. I understand the State of Illinois closed it down? 

Yes, I've shot there a couple times.  Great range.  It's a bit of a drive for me so I haven't been there for a while.

I'm not sure if it's currently open or closed.  I understand it's bounced back and forth between the two.  I believe the Kaskaskia Cowboys have had at least a couple matches there over the last few months.   I don't know if they were able to have the IL State SASS shoot there this year or not.  I do know the Grand American Trap Shoot was moved from Sparta to Missouri because they couldn't be sure which way the wind was going to be blowing once the time for the shoot arrived.

I know there are a few pards on this here wire that shoot there regularly and surely know more about the status of the range.

Angus

Here is a DOM For Marlin rifles...

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php

Archived