SASS Wire Forum

Why Farm Trucks Are Safe

Subdeacon Joe

My Farm truck. I plan on Getting running again soon. I figure out how to get the trailer useful again, I sold it to a neighbor. He just had to fix the lights, get new tires, and replace the wood on the deck and paint it. I think he replaced the tires and sold it. I moved the truck the other day so I will get a couple new pictures tomorrow.

farm Truck.JPG

We had an old “Farm Use” truck when I was in high school. I wish I had a picture of it. It was a rusted out ‘60 Chevy 1/2 ton. That thing ran great until there was work to be done then you had to spend an hour to get it running. :lol:

That's the really old farts. Old farts have a dually with a goose neck to haul ton bales or the cattle hauler. Flat beds are cool with the junk yard dog and a big grin slobbering all over the bed and vehicles trying to pass. You're much safer not running into one of these, hard as a tank and damage to prove it.

We didn't have a truck.  We had a '49 Hudson sedan with the doors removed, the roof cut off behind the front seat (there was only the driver's seat left), no trunk lid, a six inch I beam front bumper and a trailer hitch.

It was retired in about 1965 after I joined the Army, but it sat on blocks and a belt around one of the rear wheels drove a generator to light the milk shed.  Had a corrugated metal roof over the engine compartment because the hood disappeared somewhere along the way and northern Utah winters are snowy once in awhile, usually from October until mid May.........or longer.

14 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

We had an old “Farm Use” truck when I was in high school. I wish I had a picture of it. It was a rusted out ‘60 Chevy 1/2 ton. That thing ran great until there was work to be done then you had to spend an hour to get it running. :lol:

It knew!!!  :D:D:D

Was it a "smart truck?"

On 10/14/2020 at 5:25 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Sounds a lot like someone I know 

21 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Had a corrugated metal roof over the engine compartment because the hood disappeared somewhere along the way and northern Utah winters are snowy once in awhile, usually from October until mid May.........or longer.

Probably removed and made into a snow sled. Those old car hoods made the best sleds.

Had  a friend with a '50Buick.  The hood opened from either side or you could release the latches on both side and lift the whole thing off.   Use to go over about half way between Logan and Brigham City to a place called Dry Lake.  Dozen of car loads full of high school and college kids on inner tubes, toboggans, and car hoods....and no one ever got seriously hurt.

Well, J. D. broke Cliff's nose for messing around with Darlene, but that was destined to happen somewhere.  Just turned out that was the place and the time was convenient.

Archived