SASS Wire Forum

Effed up my wheelgun

Morgan Cooper

6 hours ago, Roger Rapid said:

Looking at the butt end of that pistol it looks like a '73 SAA (i.e., "Cattleman" etc.) and not a cap and ball pistol. The hole can be more easily silver soldered, drilled and then threaded than "welded." If it is indeed a cartridge gun, I suggest you don't shoot it without fixing that screw.

RR

It is an 1873 Uberti Cattleman, but it is the percussion cap and ball version. It cannot shoot cartridges.

MC.. Can you post a side view photo of the pistol?

R

On 10/18/2020 at 9:52 AM, Roger Rapid said:

MC.. Can you post a side view photo of the pistol?

The Uberti 1873 Cattleman black powder model is manufactured by Uberti just like the standard cartridge 1873 Cattleman revolvers. It features a steel frame and is chambered in 44 caliber. It is a great option for people who want the look of the 1873 Single Action without needing to use cartridge ammunition.  This 44 caliber percussion revolver has all the features a cartridge Colt Single Action Army revolver, but with a removable black powder cylinder. Authentic color case hardened steel frame, fluted cylinder, fixed sights and 1-piece walnut grips.

MC... Thanks - I didn't know it existed. So I assume it has a flat-end or blunt-end firing pin?

RR

1 hour ago, Roger Rapid said:

MC... Thanks - I didn't know it existed. So I assume it has a flat-end or blunt-end firing pin?

RR

On the cartridge version, its round, and goes through a hole in the frame. On the C&B version, its half moon shaped, and the hole in the frame the firing pen goes through is half moon shaped also. The nipples are off set, and not center, on the cylinder. Which makes firing cartridges out of the gun impossible without modification.

MC... Interesting!  Thanks for posting the pics...

RR

36 minutes ago, Roger Rapid said:

MC... Interesting!  Thanks for posting the pics...

RR

You are welcome. They are offering the guns manufactured in this manner because in the UK no one can have handguns that shoot cartridges. It has to be cap and ball black powder for them to have a gun.

1 hour ago, Morgan Cooper said:

Because there isn't a loading lever, the cylinder is removed and loaded using a loading press and then capped off the gun then placed back into it.

So you can't cap it through the loading gate opening with the cylinder on the gun?

5 hours ago, Morgan Cooper said:

Yes I can do that, but I dont have a straight line capper and I have big fingers, and it's hard to finagle a cap in that space, so I dont do it that way.

Wonder if you could drill a shallow hole in the end of a dowel, stick or tip of antler or tooth brush handle, etc and then put a cap in the hole and push it on the nipple? 

7 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Wonder if you could drill a shallow hole in the end of a dowel, stick or tip of antler or tooth brush handle, etc and then put a cap in the hole and push it on the nipple? 

That would work, but in my opinion it's too much work for me. When I just wanna shoot. I can get it all done kinda quickly, so I just load and cap the cylinder off the gun and then put it in very carefully.

Well, I just got the replacement screws today, and decided to ignore the effed up hole and leave it empty. I then went to the range and put about 30 rounds through it and it was perfectly fine. I'll just worry about the hole and what to do with it another time. 

9 hours ago, Morgan Cooper said:

That would work, but in my opinion it's too much work for me. When I just wanna shoot. I can get it all done kinda quickly, so I just load and cap the cylinder off the gun and then put it in very carefully.

DON'T DROP IT!!!

Archived