SASS Wire Forum

Mind where you leave your shooting muffs

Pat Riot

EGADS!

Man, that's a full body quiver for sure!

Happened to me once with a pair of welding gloves. Put them on and after a second or two felt a prick. Took my hand out to see two tiny pin pricks. Threw the glove against the wall and a fairly large barn spider scurried out.

Now I always crinkle a pair of gloves before putting them on.

FL is like the Outback of America.

34 minutes ago, Snakejaw_Joe said:

Happened to me once with a pair of welding gloves. Put them on and after a second or two felt a prick. Took my hand out to see two tiny pin pricks. Threw the glove against the wall and a fairly large barn spider scurried out.

Now I always crinkle a pair of gloves before putting them on.

FL is like the Outback of America.

I do the same thing with gloves. Had a big spider in a pair of gloves I had in my garage. I got spidey juice all over my hand. Still makes me shudder when I  think about it. Bwahhhhhhh

I have found bees in my helmets. Flies in my muffs. If I ever found a spider like  that in my muffs I do believe I might run out of  ammo perforating them and the spider.

I will never leave a  motorcycle helmet on my bike. It goes where I  go.  I always buy shooting muffs that can be stored closed against themselves so nothing can get in. I  am little  paranoid about things burrowing themselves  in my ears.

Ever see the movie "Mountains of  the Moon"? The guy on the cot with the beetle burrowing into his ear just set me free when I saw it in the theater.

I was going to find that scene on YouTube and post it but no one needs to  see that.

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have found bees in my helmets. Flies in my muffs. If I ever found a spider like  that in my muffs I do believe I might run out of  ammo perforating them and the spider.

I will never leave a  motorcycle helmet on my bike. It goes where I  go.  I always buy shooting muffs that can be stored closed against themselves so nothing can get in. I  am little  paranoid about things burrowing themselves  in my ears.

Ever see the movie "Mountains of  the Moon"? The guy on the cot with the beetle burrowing into his ear just set me free when I saw it in the theater.

I was going to find that scene on YouTube and post it but no one needs to  see that.

That's one of those evolutionary fears that was born out of some harsh realities we used to live in. Never seen that movie but I have a vivid enough imagination, I'll leave it there lol

There's always that story of the person who had growing ear pain over the course of a few days and the doctor found a spider stuck inside the ear canal. Or was it nose? Either way, I read something like over the course of a year a person will swallow X amount of spiders in their sleep. 

Better not to know. Gimme the delusion of safety :lol: lies, they're all LIES.

If they weren't so important to the food chain I'd be dumping all my money into developing an arachnicide that killed em all. 

43 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I do the same thing with gloves. Had a big spider in a pair of gloves I had in my garage. I got spidey juice all over my hand. Still makes me shudder when I  think about it. Bwahhhhhhh

Same thing happened to me once when I was tucking the sheets on my bed. There was a spider between the mattresses and I accidentally squished it with my hand. At least I didn't find it while I was actually IN bed... :wacko:

Put my pull-on boots on one morning and kept fiddling with a lump in the sock with my toes and finally removed the boot to see a giant spider disappear under the fridge. It still creeps me thinking about it. Big brave humans we are. I send the wife to get rid of the bastids!

58 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Pat Riot, did you ever see the Rod Serling's "Night Gallery" episode about the earwig?  Gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

Seriously!? I had forgotten about that. Thanks Marshal...:P

2 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Gotta BEE careful with open pop/soda cans,too. Have had all kinds of nasty sweet loving insects find their way into them. Hurts your lip or tongue if they take umbrage to you  trying to drink them!:o:lol::blush:

Ow! Bee stung me in the cheek like that when I was a kid. 

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

So that was the movie. I remember the scene, but had thought it was from The Ghost and the Darkness, another film set in Africa.

I remembered that scene four years ago in the wake of a surgery to repair a near-complete detachment of the retina in my left eye. The doc repaired it well, but they had to remove about half of the vitreous humor, and they inject the space with an inert gas.

Without getting into the mechanics, the vitreous slowly fills back, but I had a bouncing bubble in my eye for three months. Eventually, I started to get real anxiety, a situation which I had never before experienced. My subconscious brain was shouting 'you have a bug in your eye', even though I knew what was actually going on. 

It made me remember that movie scene.

Booze helped, and it just went away a few weeks after the bubble was gone.

i know of one set that got chewed up by a pair of pug puppies left in the truck too long without attention , but then they also shredded the dog bed and mail that was left on the dash so it wasnt personal 

Archived