SASS Wire Forum

On your mark...Get set...GO!

Came into possesion of this Starter Pistol and have a few questions:

1. How do I make sure I purchase the right ammo?

2. What can it be used for other than starting a race? :huh:

Polish_20201012_194901744.thumb.jpg.7f4b058c2869847891c21b8a731a1ee6.jpg

Polish_20201012_195015650.thumb.jpg.e739700bd43f51bc9cd8a62d7caa1bb9.jpg

Polish_20201012_195034713.thumb.jpg.e2684de5e0639166921c78c9677ac11c.jpg

I looked at one on the phys ed teacher's desk in the boys' locker room.
At the barrel's breech, there was a conical projection, apparently to split any ejecta from the blank round.

Starter pistol blanks are generally sold as such -- but there are industrial blanks available, and that might be a problem.

Industrial blanks are available at big box stores and are intended for driving nails and for use in a captive  bolt humane killer in a slaughter house.

They are generally referred to as acorn blanks, and are about the size of a 22 CB cap. They are quite a bit smaller than a short.

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/gundog/rsw-crimped-22-acorn-blanks-3.jpg

Any sporting goods store that has a section for hunting dog training should handle them, because one of the uses for them is to get dogs accustomed to gunfire. You don't want gun-shy hunting dogs.

I bought one at Sixgun Territory, down by Silver Springs, in 1972. They had no problem selling one to a 16-year-old high school kid. Ah the good old days.

I found it if you held it about three inches above a dried turkey oak leaf, it would blow a hole all the way through it. Impressed me. Before that my only experience with guns that made a noise was cap pistols, and they would not hurt you if someone stuck one up against your belly and pulled the trigger. This looked like it would.

Archived