SASS Wire Forum

.243 Winchester rifle

My son has a Remington M600 in .243 that I bought him when he was 12. He is 55 and he still hunts with it. Great deer and antelope caliber.

I used a Model 70 to hunt deer one season in 1963.  Sort of a waste of time.  We got to our spot, gathered our gear, and walked about 175 yards when this three point buck walked up some twenty yards away and dared me to shoot him.  The .243 did its job.  He dropped in his tracks and didn't so much as flinch. 

My hunt was over in less than a half an hour.  He was dressed and in the truck in another half hour and I spent the rest of the day sitting there drinking coffee and enjoying the scenery.

Had a Remington M700 BDL in .243.  Very accurate and fun to shoot.  Shot many deer and antelope with it and never had one take more than two or three steps after being shot.

Model 100 Winchester (semi auto) or a Model 88 Winchester (lever). Several deer and antelope have been bagged with one or the other. Have also taken two elk with the model 100 at about 90-100 yards (my handloads with a 100 gr BTSP) but wouldn't recommend it on elk at any range much beyond that. My brother in law used a Remington model 700 in 243 as his only hunting rifle for about 10 years and generally came home with either a deer or elk (sometimes both) every year but I do not know the range he shot at. He is also an exceptionally good shot with just about anything he cares to shoot.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I don’t own a .243.

I have thought about swapping out my Ruger #1 in .270 Winchester for a Ruger #1 in .243, but it feels like I would be betraying an old friend that has flattened a lot of deer over the past 22 years.

So I guess I will be faithful to the Ruger #1 I have, and just fantasize about the Ruger #1 of my dreams.

:ph34r:

Used to use a Remington 700 BDL for coyotes. A fine rifle.

42 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I used a Model 70 to hunt deer one season in 1963.  Sort of a waste of time.  We got to our spot, gathered our gear, and walked about 175 yards when this three point buck walked up some twenty yards away and dared me to shoot him.  The .243 did its job.  He dropped in his tracks and didn't so much as flinch. 

My hunt was over in less than a half an hour.  He was dressed and in the truck in another half hour and I spent the rest of the day sitting there drinking coffee and enjoying the scenery.

That sounds like anything but a waste of time to me...

When I set out to buy my first rifle at 18 one of my serious considerations was a .243 Savage 99.  I ended up with a Marlin 336 in .30-30.

No regrets, but I'd still like that Savage.    

3 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I don’t own a .243.

I have thought about swapping out my Ruger #1 in .270 Winchester for a Ruger #1 in .243, but it feels like I would be betraying an old friend that has flattened a lot of deer over the past 22 years.

So I guess I will be faithful to the Ruger #1 I have, and just fantasize about the Ruger #1 of my dreams.

:ph34r:

Or buy a new #1 to add to your collection. 

I have a 1970s vintage #1, spotter barrel, in 22-250 that my dad bought. It’s now mine and will stay so forever. 

A while later I got a hankering for a 22 Hornet. Could’ve traded the #1, but instead found a #3 in the appropriate caliber.

Issue solved. 

I have a Browning semi-auto in .243, since about ‘74.  Unlike a lot of other responses I’ve never had a dead right there deer with mine.  All through and through lung shots, but all ran at least 50 yards.  Same is true with the two I’ve killed with .45-70.

I have hunted with a Winchester 670 in .243 since 1977.  I have taken seven antelope and didn't keep count of the deer or prairie dogs that I have shot with it.  

I like it well enough that I now have it and a Remington 700 Varmint grade and two Savage 99s. 

Hardpan, if you are serious about wanting a 99 send me a PM.

Duffield

6 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

But I didn't any exercise at all after the first hour or so.

Still not seeing the problem...:P

Many moons ago I had a Savage 110 in 243. Many a groundhog took a dirt nap as a result of that rifle. Back then I bought and or traded many guns. Not sure where that rifle ended up but it was a great gun.

24 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Kaya uses one. Well at that. A Mossberg Patriot. Accurate little rifle!!!

Thanks to your pictures we have seen that. I think she is a keeper, Slim.

My dad and a friend started planning a hunting trip out west in 1961. In 1964 they went to a place near Gillette, Wyoming. Before the trip dad bought two Winchesters, one in 270, the other with a heavy barrel in 243. He got a mule deer and an antelope. They had a ball popping prairie dogs with the 243. Don't remember what he used to take the deer and antelope.

Yet another item I should have written down for reference after he is no longer here .

Been tempted a few times to buy one, but instead I've been researching downloading my .270.

Hornady and a few others have powders and load data for that, and even some gas checked lead bullets.

I'm thinking a 100 gr or 120 gr bullet downloaded to around 2000 - 2200 f/s might just work out fine.

I've  a good hundred factory 270 loads, 130 and 140, so no worries there if I need to reach out, but over

here in the boonies on the peninsula you're lucky to get 75yds line of sight.

Food for thought.

SC

1 hour ago, ShadowCatcher said:

Been tempted a few times to buy one, but instead I've been researching downloading my .270.

Hornady and a few others have powders and load data for that, and even some gas checked lead bullets.

I'm thinking a 100 gr or 120 gr bullet downloaded to around 2000 - 2200 f/s might just work out fine.

I've  a good hundred factory 270 loads, 130 and 140, so no worries there if I need to reach out, but over

Food for thought.

SC

Arguably the best all around rifle from prairie dogs to moose.

2 hours ago, ShadowCatcher said:

Food for thought.

SC

Hahahaha. Stand on top of the hill SC.

Remington 742 semi-auto in 243

My dad hunted with one most all his life and it was the first center fire rifle he bought me as well. Both rifles have taken lots of deer and way more coyotes than I'll ever be able to count. 

Sierra 75 grain hollow point over 3031 was a tack driver. Would easily shoot 5 round sub MOA groups.

Hornady 100 gr jacketed soft point was lethal on Missouri White tails. 

19 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

When I set out to buy my first rifle at 18 one of my serious considerations was a .243 Savage 99.  I ended up with a Marlin 336 in .30-30.

No regrets, but I'd still like that Savage.    

When Willie Wheelgun was still with us, we often discussed his Savage in .204 Ruger. I do not recall what model it was, but his remarks were that it was very accurate. 

a bit over 30 years ago , I had 2 , KD Williams customs , built for me , one  in 30-06 , the other in 243 Win 

I doubt they had a box of shells run through em , before the ex got rid of everything I owned 

sure would like to find em again , ex grade walnut stocks , left hand thumbholes , under Whitworth actions 

sure miss them rifles 

Chickasaw 

Archived