SASS Wire Forum

Wet tumble - what happens when...

Matthew Duncan

You accident,y put 25 nickel 9mm cases in with 150 40 S&W and 2 44-40 cases?

Answer.  24 of the 9mm cases find thier way into 24 of the 40 S&W case.  The 25th 9mm ends up inside a 44-40 case!

And .45acp will cap over .44-40 trapping ss pins, dirt and water inside.  Never fun.

Although this comment regards vibratory cleaners, a long time ago I read a suggestion about putting larger brass into the media first and let them fill up with the media, then you can add smaller cases and they will not nest inside the larger ones.  I tried it.  WRONG!  :rolleyes:

Answer.  24 of the 9mm cases find thier way into 24 of the 40 S&W case.  The 25th 9mm ends up inside a 44-40 case!

That's why I use 3 wet tumblers so I can clean different calibers at the same time. Two 3# dual Harbor Freights and a dual 6# Lortone :D

I even had 44WCF cases slid over the necks of 38WCF.  Not a real problem in the wet tumbler but when I ran them through the Lee APP press with one truncated into another,  it was a train wreck.  I was able to pull that one tube and dump it without taking it all apart. 

The nesting problem is why I separate brass of different calibers before tumbling.  And in the separation process look for nested brass.  It requires careful inspection (read head stamps) when 380 is mixed with 9mm Luger.  1mm length difference is hard to differentiate.

The best time to separate brass is at the unloading table.

You have only a few cases to inspect carefully for caliber and brass in brass.

I reloaded commercially at about 2500 per day.

6 days a week.

Separating customer brass was not something I wanted to do.

Especially when they brought me 1000's of cases at a time.

I asked that they do that at the unloading table when they only have 20 or so cases at a time to go through.

Pistol brass was easy because it was still in the revolvers at the unloading table.

Rifle brass could be mixed during pick up on the fireing line.

So separation was down to 10 or so cases per stage.

Unforunately , I had a few customers over the years who would not separte very well or at all.

I started charging for the service of separtating.

If they complained, I would reload their brass without separating and return all the damaged cases and split cases.

I also charged for those cases being reloaded as they went thought the complete process of reloading.

The bullets where lost, the powder was lost and the primers where lost. Lost = Provided.

It only takes a few times before the customer gets it and separates at the unloading table.

I had 4 tumblers running every day.

38 cases in 44 or 45 cases could lock in place with the media so tight they could not be taken apart.

And the dreaded 22 in a 38 case would almost always break the decapping pin in the sizing die.

It only takes a few seconds to separate and inspect brass at the unloading take.

A good process to employ.

I appreciated the customer doing this and if you reload your own, you will get to liking it as well.

Archived