SASS Wire Forum

Well, I finally “pulled the trigger” on a pair of SASS Vaqueros...

Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423

54 minutes ago, Cemetery said:

How so?

Glare?

Not glare, I guess you could say that they’re made too good.  They have very tight tolerances and with BP mine bind up after just one stage, sometimes before the gun is even empty.  Never had that problem with my SAA, but my Ruger NMV always.

6 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Not glare, I guess you could say that they’re made too good.  They have very tight tolerances and with BP mine bind up after just one stage, sometimes before the gun is even empty.  Never had that problem with my SAA, but my Ruger NMV always.

Have your tried APP? I get through 6 stages no problem with my New Vaqueros? 

I had Lassiter relieve the cylinder tolerance so they don't bind with BP when he did the action job.

2 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Now send them to Lassiter to have them short stroked. ;)

He is one of the smiths I’m looking at...

2 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Very nice Great for smokeless not so much for BP. 

Both Kook and Miss Harley had to have their Rugers opened up a bit to allow for fouling  

25 minutes ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

I had Lassiter relieve the cylinder tolerance so they don't bind with BP when he did the action job.

One of the items I’ll be sure to have done. 

1 hour ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Have your tried APP? I get through 6 stages no problem with my New Vaqueros? 

Yes, and it’s no better. As Jed I. Knight said I guess I could have them opened up, I tried honing the chambers no good, tried annealed brass, same same.  I’m not complaining I like my SAA.

44 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Yes, and it’s no better. As Jed I. Knight said I guess I could have them opened up, I tried honing the chambers no good, tried annealed brass, same same.  I’m not complaining I like my SAA.

I have shot several pairs of  new NMVs with real black and have no problem with them. I will see you at SE regional maybe I can help.

kR

4 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Very nice Great for smokeless not so much for BP. 

What caliber?

I've shot several matches with both mine(.357 4 5/8") and my sons (.357 5 1/2") with zero issues. Full case of Goex FFFg and either regular Outlaw Bullets or Scarlett's hi-tek coated bullets. I have recently started dipping the nose of the bullets in 50/50 Lard/Beeswax at the loading table which makes for easier cleanup at the end of the day and no in-match maintenance. 

14 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Not sure what honing chambers, and annealing brass has to do with binding.

If they're binding, fouling must be building up on the cylinder face and not allowing clearance with the back of the barrel.

Maybe try extra lube before cutting away at the cylinder or barrel?

12 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

What caliber?

I've shot several matches with both mine(.357 4 5/8") and my sons (.357 5 1/2") with zero issues. Full case of Goex FFFg and either regular Outlaw Bullets or Scarlett's hi-tek coated bullets. I have recently started dipping the nose of the bullets in 50/50 Lard/Beeswax at the loading table which makes for easier cleanup at the end of the day and no in-match maintenance. 

.45C. With the SAA’s I’ve never had to do maintenance during a match and cleanup was easy.  But I’m using APP not real BP, so that may have something to do with it. As for bullets I’m using Scarlett’s hi-tek 200grn RNFP.  

6 minutes ago, Cemetery said:

Not sure what honing chambers, and annealing brass has to do with binding.

If they're binding, fouling must be building up on the cylinder face and not allowing clearance with the back of the barrel.

Maybe try extra lube before cutting away at the cylinder or barrel?

I anneal all my .45C brass.  But I do think you’re correct that the binding is at the front of the cylinder, most likely it builds up between the forcing cone and the cylinder.  I won’t be cutting anything, I work on my guns but I know my limits and that would be way beyond my abilities.  So for now I’ll let them sit and either use the SAA’s for smoky cartridges and NMA’s for C&B.  

I have .357 SASS Edition New Vaqueros that I bought from Longhunter.  I don’t believe the barrel cylinder gaps were altered.  I regularly shoot APP in six stage monthly matches with no issues.  I don’t wipe or spray them between stages.  Same with Goex.

I have a pair in .45 Colt.

Love them.

But aren't they kinda short stroked right from the factory?

I just wish I was worthy and able to use them to their full potential! (sigh)

Oh well, I'm having fun!

I have one pair on NMV's in .45,  4 5/8th's SS that shoot BP or sub BP all day long.  I have another pair in 5 1/2 that the cylinder gap is so tight that after 20 rounds of the same ammo, you have to clean the cylinder face and the forcing cone.

Archived