SASS Wire Forum

"His blood ran cold"

Alpo

I've read that, here and there, in books (generally of the pulp variety).

Last night I was dreaming. Someone had the drop on me and was going to shoot me. And I got very cold. I got so cold that I woke up. Once I was awake, I warmed up.

This was not a case of outside temperature. The room was warm. It was the scary dream. My blood ran cold. Once I was awake and realized that it was a dream, I warmed back up.

Apparently "blood running cold" is a real thing. I wonder what the physiological reason for that is.

Whenever I wake up even from a nap I'm slightly chilled. I think your body temp drops when you sleep. I'm not doctor though but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a couple times!!

I have had this happen. I am going to guess a drop in blood pressure or the body producing something like adrenaline causes the sudden change. I have also gotten sick to my stomach during this too.

Does Your Body Temperature Drop When You Sleep? A common question that people have is does your body temperature drop when you sleep. The short answer is yes because the human body begins cooling itself down for sleep in the evening due to a process called thermoregulation.

2 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

It's the "fight or flight syndrome".  In essence, you're experiencing an adrenaline dump, that forces your heart to beat faster.  

Correct, and skin arterioles and capillaries contract, forcing blood into the muscles, heart and lungs to support the “fight or flight.”  Pallor and skin chill result from the shift in circulation.

2 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

It's the "fight or flight syndrome".  In essence, you're experiencing an adrenaline dump, that forces your heart to beat faster.  

Had that happen to me once or twice. Unfortunately I was wide dang awake at the time. :(

2 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

That's why the Sig next to my bed is a DA/SA, I don't want a light trigger pull when I hear glass breaking at o'dark thirty...

Archived