SASS Wire Forum

One riot one Massad Ayoob

Buckshot Bob

That's a watch. I have several of Ayoobs books and have read a lot of articles he writes. Fair advice from a good source

Long admired the man, many times have I listened to his wise counsel!

EDIT TO ADD: He mentions a wearable GoPro camera. I looked on Amazon and found more than I could possibly enjoy!

I'll have to sort through that four page result and see if I can't figure out which one would work best!

When he did is seminars locally we called his students Ayoobs boobs. He lost me at the beginning when he claimed to be a police captain when he was actually a part time auxiliary officer in a resort town as a summer employee 

8 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

When he did is seminars locally we called his students Ayoobs boobs. He lost me at the beginning when he claimed to be a police captain when he was actually a part time auxiliary officer in a resort town as a summer employee 

He's also the guy that continually says not to use reloads for defence because of ONE case where a man gave his wife a mixed bunch of rounds to use. She shot him, IIRC.

I'm not saying that he's wrong here, just that he's not the "All Knowing All Seeing Expert" he claims to be.

Some people you absolutely know not to listen to, unless you know they will telegraph their ill-intentions.

Other folks, you take what you can get from them, and weigh it against your own judgement.

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Seems like a sensible fellow. But 'experts' never are praised by other, self-styled, 'experts'. There are plenty of those to go around in our passtime!

I think  allot of people don’t like him because he’s overly cautious. Personally if you did everything right I highly doubt you would end up in prison if you used reloads or had a punisher skull on your firearm, but I can see his point of why invite trouble . This thread was the first time I personally ever heard of him fluffing his credentials. I know in the last couple of years he had a ND . Which in his profession can’t be helpful. But it’s hard not to see him as a subject matter expert . I like to get my information from as many sources as possible. Really like Tom Givins , Dave Spaulding , Ed Head and John Farnum . And sometimes to spice it up I like Clint Smith or the Yeager bomb . Many of them give a unique perspective but also there is allot of commonality. 

I certainly don't think of him as the all-in-all expert, but he has expertise worthwhile to take into account to be sure. But then, I don't think he has been offered up as the 'top', at all , nor has he claimed to be so.

He is now president of the Second Amendment Foundation, the litigation arm of the Citizen's Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, a very worthy organization.

Mas has been instrumental in helping defend both law enforcement officers and private citizens against serious charges that resulted from their actions in the line of duty or self defense.  I think he has probably the best advice that can be offered before the fact for most of us. 

In our suburban neighborhood, we have had a number of instances where signs showing support for one presidential candidate (NOT on our lawn...I was under the impression that the Homeowners Association doesn't allow any...but that seems to be violated regularly) have been stolen, and where the homeowner replaced his sign, it was again stolen and the sign and part of his lawn was sprayed with red paint! OTOH, signs in support of the other candidate were NOT disturbed.  :angry::o:ph34r: (Guess which signs were under attack!) So much for "free speech"!  I'm just wondering what would happen if these thugs were to attack his house.  Colorado has a right to defend yourself, but I'm not sure if the perps would have to be inside your house before you can take offensive action against them!

Stay SAFE and Well!

The general rule most everywhere in this country is that you can use deadly force to prevent threat of death or grievous bodily harm that you reasonably believe to be imminent. This applies to the protection of oneself and others.

"Reasonable" is an objective standard-- what a reasonable person would conclude under the same or similar circumstances.

It definitely does not apply to vandalism to signs, cars, siphoning of gas, running off with your outdoors personal  property, etc.

I think most folks understand this, but it does bear repeating from time to time...

Henry Harrison you are so WRONG!! He did in fact retire as a captain from I believe Grantham, NH. Don't know where you came up with your part time

auxiliary officer nonsense. But he was a POST sworn LE officer for over  4 decades!!

He absolutely has legit LE credentials and serious courtroom experience.

I have not met him, have watched some videos and I can see why some might call him a pompous ass. I don't care, he has earned his credentials. I might even take a course from him; might be money well-spent. Hopefully it would be a total waste of time and money but if I ever did need to defend myself with a firearm it might not be.

Yes, I really would rather it be a total waste of time and money but I am considering spending it.

23 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

Henry Harrison you are so WRONG!! He did in fact retire as a captain from I believe Grantham, NH. Don't know where you came up with your part time

auxiliary officer nonsense. But he was a POST sworn LE officer for over  4 decades!!

Google it. He retired as a Captain but he was a part time officer in a resort community 

42 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Google it. He retired as a Captain but he was a part time officer in a resort community 

Did he ever misrepresent his LEO background? He was a commissioned law officer and served for years part time. "Resort community"? What's that mean? They don't need cops?

I don't think he's claimed to  be a "big city" cop. It's a perfectly legitimate credential, among his other credentials.

15 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Did he ever misrepresent his LEO background? He was a commissioned law officer and served for years part time. "Resort community"? What's that mean? They don't need cops?

I don't think he's claimed to  be a "big city" cop. It's a perfectly legitimate credential, among his other credentials.

He somehow never mentioned that he was a part time summer employee 

Archived