SASS Wire Forum

Sight Pusher

I have this one.  I really like it, but I use it enough to be worth what I paid.  I average a set a week.  with it.  

https://smile.amazon.com/Wheeler-Engineering-Construction-Gunsmithing-Maintenance/dp/B01B3NU0U2/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=sight+pusher&qid=1602456876&sr=8-12  

7 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

What are you trying to push. I believe most are firearm specific.

Something versatile ~ I'd be broke fast if I had to buy one for each!

7 minutes ago, Alpo said:

A young man in his late teens or early twenties, with a steady hand and good eyesight. Tap tap tap

Got one.  But he's now late twenties; wants to graduate from tap tap tap ~ and doesn't want to be hammering on his new tritium sights.  :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I have this one.  I really like it, but I use it enough to be worth what I paid.  I average a set a week.  with it.  

https://smile.amazon.com/Wheeler-Engineering-Construction-Gunsmithing-Maintenance/dp/B01B3NU0U2/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=sight+pusher&qid=1602456876&sr=8-12  

Very kewl!

Same one also on Amazon for fifty bucks less~!   ^_^

3 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Very kewl!

Same one also on Amazon for fifty bucks less~!   ^_^

Yeah, the other one is a knock off...and it wasn't available when I bought mine. :( 

1 minute ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Yeah, the other one is a knock off...and it wasn't available when I bought mine. :( 

Is it?  I compared the two side-by-side... the same exact picture even.  

Well, the Kid's birthday's coming up.   :rolleyes:

Amazon has a selection of sight pushers.  I bought one that cost about $45.  Most any of them will work depending on the slide; if it's square shaped, such as a Glock slide it's a lot easier than if the slide sides are angled.  It took me a while to change sights on a SIG because of that.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

<disreputable looking guy holding open filthy duster>
"Pssssst!  Hey kid!  You wanna buy a Soule tang sight?"

Great minds....:)

15 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Sight Pusher ~ recommendations?  :)

If it's likely to be a one time thing, take it to a gunsmith.  I bought a "universal" sight pusher for $50 or $60 and it was junk

I have a MGW sight pro  SP 100     Expensive but works like a charm.  Especially with expensive sights and expensive pistols.  Only one I know of that works without screwing up the super tight Springfield pistol sights.

I plan to buy this one. It gets okay reviews. It rates 77% 5-star and 14% 4-star reviews on amazon with 1943 reviews total.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07DMZDD6V/?coliid=I12VXI93T8GWZJ&colid=1GATW8EYS2BOI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one of these. Wish I had spent the money on one years ago.

Gun club at work has several maker specific sight pushers. Most have been repaired at least once. Almost all have failed due to damaged threads from the force required to push the sight. 

Wyoming Sight Drifter Tool with Brass Tip

I have used it to remove sights that wouldn't budge using a sight pusher or a hammer and punch. It is easy to control the amount of movement with very little practice.

I am buying a second one to put in my C&B tool kit for removing wedges. takes up a lot less space than a hammer and punch.

4 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I bought one of these. Wish I had spent the money on one years ago.

Gun club at work has several maker specific sight pushers. Most have been repaired at least once. Almost all have failed due to damaged threads from the force required to push the sight. 

Wyoming Sight Drifter Tool with Brass Tip

I have used it to remove sights that wouldn't budge using a sight pusher or a hammer and punch. It is easy to control the amount of movement with very little practice.

It’s obvious from that video the guy  is not doing tritium sights with it. That amount of force could break a vial in the sight. 

That spring punch looks just like a modified Blue Point punch. I have a set of those that I bought from Snap-On years ago. 

8 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Never thought about tritium sights having an issue. If they can withstand the recoil for firing a gun you would think they could stand up to the force used to move the sight

Wonder if it's side impact instead of backward recoil of firing.   Kind of like air rifles breaking crosshairs in expensive scope made for heavy recoiling rifles.    GW

I did some googling and the consensus is that the sights break not from the force of the impact but because people hit the sight incorrectly and cause the metal to flex. ie the punch slips or is not placed properly against the sight to start with.

Not being a Glock owner are their sights metal or polymer?

Archived